Texas Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014
Updated Oct 28, 2014

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

The process consisted of 3 interviews. The first was 30 minutes on campus after a career fair. The interviewer asked me to draw a block diagram for a system I've built before. He also asked about challenges I've faced throughout college and how I dealt with them. The second is a 1 hour webcam interview. The interviewer asked more behavioral questions similar to the first interview. For the third and final interview I was flown in to TI Dallas headquarters for a social dinner with other candidates and current members of the rotation program. The next day I attended a campus tour and two back-to-back interviews. For these I presented a project I had done before and was asked additional behavioral and technical questions. These technical questions are based on your project so don't expect to derive Maxwell's equations. Others have had to build different configurations of Op Amps or describe a Bode plot. I guess I was lucky.

Interview Questions
    • You must have good examples of work that you have done in teams. That is ALL they care about. Technical knowledge can be taught. Do not be afraid to admit you or your team's failures.   Answer Question

Applications Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

2 Rounds of online interviews, 1 onsite. They take care of everything, give you a small tour of their HQ. You will have the opportunity to talk to current employees about anything regarding the job and the life at TI before you interview in person.
    The in person interview will be completely technical. They will ask for you to prepare a project presentation and they will drill you on every aspect of it.

Interview Questions
    • Expect to be asked various questions on anything technicality you mention in your presentation.   Answer Question

Digital Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

totally had 2 rounds, met them in university career fair. First round was both behavioral and technical, second round was fairly technical. The questions were easy. communication was good and they responded almost immediately to all the mails which I had sent. The questions asked were fairly basic ranging from problems in op-amp to CMOS. The second round had questions from flip-flops and shift registers. they were again simple and easy to solve.

Technical Sales Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Met TI recruiters at the university EECS career fair. Told them I was graduating in 3 months, and what I was doing for my Master's research, etc. They filled out a form with my information and told me to apply for the positions I'm interested in online. I applied to everything I was qualified for, without thinking if I really wanted that job, and got the HireVue interview (video call) for Technical Sales, even though my resume is heavy on the technical side. The interview was completely behavioral, and I made sure to use coursework project scenarios for all answers. In the end, the interviewer asked me if I was competitive, and I said no, and then he asked if I really wanted to be in sales, and I answered no to that too. I added that I didn't know why I was even picked for this position, and told him I was more interested in being on the technical side of things. He himself had been in the technical field before switching to sales, so he talked about what he had done and what I was interested in. Based on that, he passed on my resume to the Design Engineering team, and I now have an interview with them next week.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when a team member was not performing as he was supposed to and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Applied for on-campus interview. Got a phone call later on, then had an on-campus interview. Then had a second round interview that was over the web and focused on us presenting a project we had worked on before. The interviewers were generally nice, and the HR folks are awesome. They are accommodating (within their limit) and really make the process as smooth as possible.

Interview Questions
    • What do a section of memory addresses allocated for a struct actually look like?   View Answer
    Did not negotiate because it was an intern position.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Three stage interviewing process: one on campus interview, one phone interview, and one all day on site interview. The final interview required interviewees to give a 15 minute technical presentation, and the solve a surprise brain teaser at the end.

Interview Questions
    • What are you extracurricular activities and how do you think they will help you succeed within your role here?   Answer Question

Technical Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Three rounds of interviews. The final round was at TI's HQ; there was a dinner the night before, an overview of the company, lunch, and two interviews conducted by managers. There was a sales simulation, which is different than typical behavior interviews, but once you hear the topic, it's not bad at all.

Interview Questions
    • For me, it was my technical question due to surprise. The interview was almost entirely behavioral, but a technical question was thrown out and threw me off track for a moment.   Answer Question
    I failed to get a negotiation offer, despite having higher offers from competitors on the table. The impression I got was that I'm easily replaceable, and they could just hire another candidate as they go through several of these interview rounds. The new HR manager may be different however.

Intern Interview

I was emailed to do have a phone interview with a list of times and dates. After responding to which time and date worked for me, I never got a response back. They called me on that date and time, and they asked if I had a presentation ready. I had to tell them that I had received no email from them. They still continued the interview asking me technical questions. I received an email about 1-2 weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • They dealt with programming since I had previous programming experience.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate because it was an intern position

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2014.

First communication was at UCF career fair. I scheduled an on campus interview two days later.

First interview was focused on what projects I had completed, what my role was, how I handled challenges etc. as well some analog circuit analysis

Second interview was a one hour video interview with another HR person. Included the general behavioral questions and a lot of repeat questions from the first interview regarding projects.

Third interview is an in person interview in Dallas, this is the last round and you will know whether or not you have a job after this within one day to a week.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to explain in detail what your role was in your most complex project, what challenges you encountered, how you dealt with them. Just real detailed into your projects.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2014.

I applied through my university and received an on-campus interview. The main questions were behavioral such as what was your toughest class along with describing my past experiences using the micro-fabrication process. The interview was similar to the STAR format like most behavioral interviews. It lasted for 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between negative and positive photoresist?   Answer Question