Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

Technical Sales Engineering Rotation Program Interview

Started at the on-campus career fair, where I approached TI's booth and spoke with a rep in tech sales. After discussing my interest and qualifications, I was informed of their interest to do on on-site 30 minute interview a few hours later. When I returned for the interview I was asked a variety of behavioral questions, with a lot of "describe a time when/where you" questions, specifically with questions such as "failed" "encourtered hardship" "had a co-worker not contributing" as well as "describe how a transistor works to us if we were joe-schmoes." After this interview, I was told I would be contacted if they wanted to continue the process. I was then contacted two weeks later via email & phone, and was directed to an online interview process to be completed in the next 48 hours. I then went online and was asked 6 questions, 5 about specific times where I encountered some sort of relationship-based hardship or success. Heavy emphasis on "Talk about a specific time". After that, I was contacted for an interview with a hiring manager, scheduled for one hour. He wasn't too friendly and really emphasized technical aptitude, whereas the prior interview emphasized more behavioral. I struggled with pulling out specific incidences he was looking for. Questions included tell me a time you had a problem in a relationship with someone and how it came out, tell me a time where you did something very challenging, tell me a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

First interview was in person and were behavioral questions. The only technical questions was at the end. Question: Describe the voltage characteristics of a battery and a capacitor in parallel.

Second interview was over the phone. They wanted to know about specifics about the projects I have completed.

Third interview is on onsite. I have yet to be interviewed. No offer yet if any.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interviewed for a product/test engineering internship through my university career fair. There was an initial 1:1 behavioral interview (with a very easy technical question) shortly after career fair. After 2 weeks, I heard back that they wanted me to move onto a 2nd round video interview (in 1 week). My video interview was more technical and project based, and they asked me to give a 10 minute presentation on a project I had previously worked on. One week after, I heard back about my offer. They initially gave me 2 weeks to decide on the position, but I was able to extend this (they said they usually don't offer interns extensions, but I was an exception).

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate salary, but I was able to negotiate my response date for another 2.5 weeks.

Project Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

At career fair in my college, they scheduled an on campus interview for the next day. I passed that first interview and they scheduled the second and final interview. I haven't done the second interview, which is supposed to be a phone interview yet. During the first interview they just asked about my projects and what I wanted to do as an intern.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, didn't ask any scary technical questions, mostly stuff about projects.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Got an interview through on-campus recruiting. I was expecting a heavily technical interview, but it was pretty relaxed. Most of the interview was me explaining past projects that I had done.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you've taken on a leadership role and how you dealt with conflicts within the team.   Answer Question
    none, this was an internship position

Facilities Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Got an interview through on campus recruiting and got interviewed the next day. Interview was mostly behavioral questions with one technical question lasting about 25 mins. They sent out an email about 1 week later notifying of offer.

Interview Questions
    • One question was asked dealing with HVAC in a building.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

It was very professional and organized. I had a phone interview with two of the head project managers. They asked soft skill questions; very generic. They were very nice and straight to the point. Then about a week later, I got an email from one of the interviewers asking to come on site for a face-to-face interview. I met with another project manager and she asked behavioral questions. She also asked about situational questions. I really enjoyed talking to her. Very sweet and smart. Then talked to another business analyst about in depth of the position and then talked to one of the two first phone interviewers face to face. Though I did not make the final cut, it was overall a very good experience.

Interview Questions
    • very generic questions. there were questions of "what if you were in this situation...."   Answer Question

Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

I applied through a career fair hosted by my University. They matched me up with this position based on my previous experiences and gave me an on-site interview the next day on the spot. The interview was almost entirely behavioral. My interviewer only gave me a very basic digital logic and RC circuit question. Afterwards, he asked me to explain about my experiences on my resume and multiple behavioral questions. The interviewer and recruiters were very friendly; probably the most friendly recruiters I have talked to the whole career fair. The process is a two step process where I was interviewed on-site and then I would be given a phone call to set up a virtual interview if they liked me as a candidate.

After around 2 months, I was called to proceed on to the final round. I am supposed to be interviewed by 2 product engineers over a virtual interview. I am expected to also prepare a 10-15 minute long presentation of an engineering topic/experience that I was apart of and describe my role and outcome of this project.

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

I got an on-campus interview though my university career fair.
    1st is the brief career fair face to face 10 minutes interview and they will decide whether give you an on-campus interview or not.
    2nd is on-campus interview: General questions and behavior questions about your resume. Try to be persuasive that you know the field you are doing now.
    3rd is a web-cam interview with a manager from California. He asked some behavior questions and some technical questions as well. My advice is pleas be prepared for this one.
    After you passed the 3rd interview you will be invited to Dallas for final on-site interview and prepare a 10 mines presentation. The night before the interview you will have dinner with the people who are currently in the program now. They do not have any impact on your process but you can ask some questions like how is the final interview looks like and what are some things that TI values in this position.
    4th is an on-site interview. You will have 2 interviews with 2 application engineer managers each time. Please print your presentations for the interviewers and be ready to answer any question about the project. You should also expect some behavior and technical questions.

I got the call the same day after I did my final on-site interview and the HR told me I have 2 weeks to decide. I got the official offer letter the next day. I accepted it because the salary and benefit is really good.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are about my project. One question is about buck and boost converter.   Answer Question
    The offer is really good so I did not negotiate.

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process consisted of 3 interviews. The first was 30 minutes on campus after a career fair. The interviewer asked me to draw a block diagram for a system I've built before. He also asked about challenges I've faced throughout college and how I dealt with them. The second is a 1 hour webcam interview. The interviewer asked more behavioral questions similar to the first interview. For the third and final interview I was flown in to TI Dallas headquarters for a social dinner with other candidates and current members of the rotation program. The next day I attended a campus tour and two back-to-back interviews. For these I presented a project I had done before and was asked additional behavioral and technical questions. These technical questions are based on your project so don't expect to derive Maxwell's equations. Others have had to build different configurations of Op Amps or describe a Bode plot. I guess I was lucky.

Interview Questions
    • You must have good examples of work that you have done in teams. That is ALL they care about. Technical knowledge can be taught. Do not be afraid to admit you or your team's failures.   Answer Question