Texas Instruments

Updated Mar 5, 2015

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Instruments in January 2015.

Met at Career Fair from University. Have set interview the next day and told me it is not going to be technical interview, but had technical questions. 1-1 interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what you have done during research/what was difficulties you had during research/what was most challenging, how did you overcome that challenge   View Answer
    • Had a sheet of paper with a question on it. They asked me to draw Voltage vs. time graph while they provided me with Current vs. Time graph. Also, asked to draw an op-amp with gain of "-5"   Answer Question

Applications Rotation Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in January 2015.

Submitted my application online after talking to one of the recruiters at my school's career fair. I got an e-mail about the 1st round of interview 2 days later. I was given a 48-hour deadline to record myself answering about 7 behavioral questions for 20 minutes. All questions were quite simple but it can be a little tough if you haven't thought about them before (such as when did you find your way of doing something ineffective and had to change it?). I thought I did pretty bad and I wasn't surprised to receive a rejection letter. However, for some reason, TI decided me to include me in the 2nd round of interviews. This time it was a virtual interview with an interviewer. The questions were similar and again behavioral but more in-depth. The interview really wanted me to back up my answers with projects I did in school and not any class but classes on engineering. Make sure you are ready to describe them and mention what your role was. Although I felt confident about the 2nd round interview, I was not able to move on any further.

Interview Questions
    • When did you find your way of doing something ineffective and had to change it up to succeed?

Talk about a tough team project experience. How did you overcome the challenges?

Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Went through a recruiter after passing through an interview at a college career fair. Three interviews - one at the college, one over the phone, and an on-site interview. Typical interview questions asked; don't put something on your resume without expecting it to be asked as a technical question. Overall a good interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The weirdest part was during the on-site interview where they put the candidates in teams and made them work together to build a structure out of newspaper. Definitely irrelevant to a semiconductor manufacturing engineer, but I'm sure they were looking for interpersonal interactions and "soft skills."   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

3 interviews (2 in person,1 webcam). Total process total took close to 3 months. Had final interview (through webcam) in October, received offer in December. Overall process was alright, just wished it didn't take so long.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss most challenging project, basic run-through of resume, example of how you would debug, why TI?, behavioral questions(talk about a time where you didn't get along with your team, where you found a unique solution to a problem, etc). Some basic technical circuit problems.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Started by applying for the semiconductor manufacturing intern position on the college career website as well as online in early to mid September.

About a month later I get an email stating that I have been selected for an on-campus interview in mid October. The on-campus interview was a general behavioral interview. They specifically asked what I knew about the semiconductor manufacturing process and why I wanted to work in this industry. A week after this interview I get an email that said that they're continuing to review my application and will contact me if they are going to continue the application process with me.

After almost a month with no contact I get a call from HR asking if I was free for a phone interview with 2 plant managers the very next day. I agreed and a conference call was set up, though the details of how to connect were not sent to me until the morning of the interview. The phone interview was slightly awkward as I was talking to one manager for a few minutes before the other one connected, and thus I had to repeat a lot of things I had already said. They once again asked what I knew about the manufacturing process and why the semiconductor industry. The interview was as much informational as it was answer questions.

A week after the phone interview I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the semiconductor manufacturing process?   View Answer

Decided to pursue opportunities in another industry.

Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

First round interview is at campus. Just some behavior questions about team work etc. After one month, I got the second virtual interview, i am required to give a 10-15minitues presentation( need to use ppt) and then some questions about details of the presentation, technical and behavior questions were asked.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

I was refered by a current employee. After filling out an online application I had an online interview. The interview was automated and I had to record myself answering 7 behavioral questions. The questions were about times that I had to work with an uncooperative partner/ times that I failed at something. The next interview was a skype interview with two applications engineers. This was very technical. They asked me questions about my resume and about my general knowledge of electrical engineerin.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online and had two online interviews. One of which asked to answer a few questions by myself, the other was actually talking to a representative. The questions were not too difficult, but it was hard to convey communication skills while not in person.

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments in December 2014.

Three rounds. The first round was on campus. The manager asked about my project (I could talk about any project). It was more behavioral. The second round was a web-session interview. Two engineers asked about my projects, and asked both technical (they asked me questions based on the project I talked with them) and behavioral questions (have you ever had difficulty working with someone in a team?). They flew me in Dallas for the third round. Two managers each asked me for one hour. Both were heavily technical interview sessions.
    I was not happy in that although I was in for a digital verification role, the first manager grilled me hard on analog circuit and device physics related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Draw the inverter's voltage transfer curve and explain what happens in each phase.
      Draw the cross section of a transistor and explain body effect.

Answer Question

Technical Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments in December 2014.

Round 1: They had me record my answers to some questions via an online recruiting website. I needed a webcam to record my answers. They got back to me within a week and I set up a time for round 2.

Round 2: Same as round 1 except there as a person live on the other side and we talked about basic experiences and behavioral type questions. A week later I was told I got into round 3 and would be flown to Texas for the final stage.

Round 3: I got flown to Texas and put in a hotel. That night I went out with a group of people that were also there for interviews as well as current people in the program that had only been working for TI for under a year. The next day I went to there headquarters and had 3 mini interviews. One of them was a test to see if I could ask the proper questions to sell somebody a vacation package just to see what questions I would ask. The other two were basic interviews with two groups of two people. They catered lunch as well.

Within a week after I was told I didn't get the job and when I asked what I may have done wrong or what skill I may have been missing the guy on the phone had no idea and said he just calls people to say they got it or not and he didn't know anything else.

Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to simulate selling a vacation package   View Answer