Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Got an interview through on-campus recruiting. I was expecting a heavily technical interview, but it was pretty relaxed. Most of the interview was me explaining past projects that I had done.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you've taken on a leadership role and how you dealt with conflicts within the team.   Answer Question
    none, this was an internship position

Facilities Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Got an interview through on campus recruiting and got interviewed the next day. Interview was mostly behavioral questions with one technical question lasting about 25 mins. They sent out an email about 1 week later notifying of offer.

Interview Questions
    • One question was asked dealing with HVAC in a building.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

It was very professional and organized. I had a phone interview with two of the head project managers. They asked soft skill questions; very generic. They were very nice and straight to the point. Then about a week later, I got an email from one of the interviewers asking to come on site for a face-to-face interview. I met with another project manager and she asked behavioral questions. She also asked about situational questions. I really enjoyed talking to her. Very sweet and smart. Then talked to another business analyst about in depth of the position and then talked to one of the two first phone interviewers face to face. Though I did not make the final cut, it was overall a very good experience.

Interview Questions
    • very generic questions. there were questions of "what if you were in this situation...."   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

For a new hire, I followed these steps: the on-campus interview, followed by a phone interview when I passed the first hurdle, which then finalized with a flight to Dallas for an on-site interview. The on-site interview involved two separated interview sessions (with 2-man interview teams), a technical presentation to four different people, and also this critical thinking project that they group four of us interviewees to complete together. I was also fed lunch, and got a quick tour of one of the TI manufacturing facilities.

Hiring-wise, I received an offer phone call within days of my final interview session.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation - but offer for a newly hired graduate was very nice, especially with the benefits.

Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

I applied through a career fair hosted by my University. They matched me up with this position based on my previous experiences and gave me an on-site interview the next day on the spot. The interview was almost entirely behavioral. My interviewer only gave me a very basic digital logic and RC circuit question. Afterwards, he asked me to explain about my experiences on my resume and multiple behavioral questions. The interviewer and recruiters were very friendly; probably the most friendly recruiters I have talked to the whole career fair. The process is a two step process where I was interviewed on-site and then I would be given a phone call to set up a virtual interview if they liked me as a candidate.

After around 2 months, I was called to proceed on to the final round. I am supposed to be interviewed by 2 product engineers over a virtual interview. I am expected to also prepare a 10-15 minute long presentation of an engineering topic/experience that I was apart of and describe my role and outcome of this project.

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

I got an on-campus interview though my university career fair.
    1st is the brief career fair face to face 10 minutes interview and they will decide whether give you an on-campus interview or not.
    2nd is on-campus interview: General questions and behavior questions about your resume. Try to be persuasive that you know the field you are doing now.
    3rd is a web-cam interview with a manager from California. He asked some behavior questions and some technical questions as well. My advice is pleas be prepared for this one.
    After you passed the 3rd interview you will be invited to Dallas for final on-site interview and prepare a 10 mines presentation. The night before the interview you will have dinner with the people who are currently in the program now. They do not have any impact on your process but you can ask some questions like how is the final interview looks like and what are some things that TI values in this position.
    4th is an on-site interview. You will have 2 interviews with 2 application engineer managers each time. Please print your presentations for the interviewers and be ready to answer any question about the project. You should also expect some behavior and technical questions.

I got the call the same day after I did my final on-site interview and the HR told me I have 2 weeks to decide. I got the official offer letter the next day. I accepted it because the salary and benefit is really good.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are about my project. One question is about buck and boost converter.   Answer Question
    The offer is really good so I did not negotiate.

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

The process consisted of 3 interviews. The first was 30 minutes on campus after a career fair. The interviewer asked me to draw a block diagram for a system I've built before. He also asked about challenges I've faced throughout college and how I dealt with them. The second is a 1 hour webcam interview. The interviewer asked more behavioral questions similar to the first interview. For the third and final interview I was flown in to TI Dallas headquarters for a social dinner with other candidates and current members of the rotation program. The next day I attended a campus tour and two back-to-back interviews. For these I presented a project I had done before and was asked additional behavioral and technical questions. These technical questions are based on your project so don't expect to derive Maxwell's equations. Others have had to build different configurations of Op Amps or describe a Bode plot. I guess I was lucky.

Interview Questions
    • You must have good examples of work that you have done in teams. That is ALL they care about. Technical knowledge can be taught. Do not be afraid to admit you or your team's failures.   Answer Question

Applications Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

2 Rounds of online interviews, 1 onsite. They take care of everything, give you a small tour of their HQ. You will have the opportunity to talk to current employees about anything regarding the job and the life at TI before you interview in person.
    The in person interview will be completely technical. They will ask for you to prepare a project presentation and they will drill you on every aspect of it.

Interview Questions
    • Expect to be asked various questions on anything technicality you mention in your presentation.   Answer Question

Digital Design Engineer Interview

totally had 2 rounds, met them in university career fair. First round was both behavioral and technical, second round was fairly technical. The questions were easy. communication was good and they responded almost immediately to all the mails which I had sent. The questions asked were fairly basic ranging from problems in op-amp to CMOS. The second round had questions from flip-flops and shift registers. they were again simple and easy to solve.

Technical Sales Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Met TI recruiters at the university EECS career fair. Told them I was graduating in 3 months, and what I was doing for my Master's research, etc. They filled out a form with my information and told me to apply for the positions I'm interested in online. I applied to everything I was qualified for, without thinking if I really wanted that job, and got the HireVue interview (video call) for Technical Sales, even though my resume is heavy on the technical side. The interview was completely behavioral, and I made sure to use coursework project scenarios for all answers. In the end, the interviewer asked me if I was competitive, and I said no, and then he asked if I really wanted to be in sales, and I answered no to that too. I added that I didn't know why I was even picked for this position, and told him I was more interested in being on the technical side of things. He himself had been in the technical field before switching to sales, so he talked about what he had done and what I was interested in. Based on that, he passed on my resume to the Design Engineering team, and I now have an interview with them next week.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when a team member was not performing as he was supposed to and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question