Texas Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I was refered by a current employee. After filling out an online application I had an online interview. The interview was automated and I had to record myself answering 7 behavioral questions. The questions were about times that I had to work with an uncooperative partner/ times that I failed at something. The next interview was a skype interview with two applications engineers. This was very technical. They asked me questions about my resume and about my general knowledge of electrical engineerin.

Interview Questions

Interview

I applied online and had two online interviews. One of which asked to answer a few questions by myself, the other was actually talking to a representative. The questions were not too difficult, but it was hard to convey communication skills while not in person.

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

Interview

Three rounds. The first round was on campus. The manager asked about my project (I could talk about any project). It was more behavioral. The second round was a web-session interview. Two engineers asked about my projects, and asked both technical (they asked me questions based on the project I talked with them) and behavioral questions (have you ever had difficulty working with someone in a team?). They flew me in Dallas for the third round. Two managers each asked me for one hour. Both were heavily technical interview sessions.
    I was not happy in that although I was in for a digital verification role, the first manager grilled me hard on analog circuit and device physics related questions.

Interview Questions

• Draw the inverter's voltage transfer curve and explain what happens in each phase.
      Draw the cross section of a transistor and explain body effect.

Answer Question

Technical Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Round 1: They had me record my answers to some questions via an online recruiting website. I needed a webcam to record my answers. They got back to me within a week and I set up a time for round 2.

Round 2: Same as round 1 except there as a person live on the other side and we talked about basic experiences and behavioral type questions. A week later I was told I got into round 3 and would be flown to Texas for the final stage.

Round 3: I got flown to Texas and put in a hotel. That night I went out with a group of people that were also there for interviews as well as current people in the program that had only been working for TI for under a year. The next day I went to there headquarters and had 3 mini interviews. One of them was a test to see if I could ask the proper questions to sell somebody a vacation package just to see what questions I would ask. The other two were basic interviews with two groups of two people. They catered lunch as well.

Within a week after I was told I didn't get the job and when I asked what I may have done wrong or what skill I may have been missing the guy on the phone had no idea and said he just calls people to say they got it or not and he didn't know anything else.

Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to simulate selling a vacation package   1 Answer

Texhnical Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I applied online with a referral and within a few days they sent an email asking for me to take 5 minute "get to know you interview." This was basically a screening to make sure you are able to talk to someone. The next phase was a 30 minute online live interview with a representative. And the final phase was they flew me down to dallas for a welcome dinner and two interviews and a simulation the next day.

Interview Questions

Interview

Started at the on-campus career fair, where I approached TI's booth and spoke with a rep in tech sales. After discussing my interest and qualifications, I was informed of their interest to do on on-site 30 minute interview a few hours later. When I returned for the interview I was asked a variety of behavioral questions, with a lot of "describe a time when/where you" questions, specifically with questions such as "failed" "encourtered hardship" "had a co-worker not contributing" as well as "describe how a transistor works to us if we were joe-schmoes." After this interview, I was told I would be contacted if they wanted to continue the process. I was then contacted two weeks later via email & phone, and was directed to an online interview process to be completed in the next 48 hours. I then went online and was asked 6 questions, 5 about specific times where I encountered some sort of relationship-based hardship or success. Heavy emphasis on "Talk about a specific time". After that, I was contacted for an interview with a hiring manager, scheduled for one hour. He wasn't too friendly and really emphasized technical aptitude, whereas the prior interview emphasized more behavioral. I struggled with pulling out specific incidences he was looking for. Questions included tell me a time you had a problem in a relationship with someone and how it came out, tell me a time where you did something very challenging, tell me a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

Interviewed for a product/test engineering internship through my university career fair. There was an initial 1:1 behavioral interview (with a very easy technical question) shortly after career fair. After 2 weeks, I heard back that they wanted me to move onto a 2nd round video interview (in 1 week). My video interview was more technical and project based, and they asked me to give a 10 minute presentation on a project I had previously worked on. One week after, I heard back about my offer. They initially gave me 2 weeks to decide on the position, but I was able to extend this (they said they usually don't offer interns extensions, but I was an exception).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate salary, but I was able to negotiate my response date for another 2.5 weeks.

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

First interview was in person and were behavioral questions. The only technical questions was at the end. Question: Describe the voltage characteristics of a battery and a capacitor in parallel.

Second interview was over the phone. They wanted to know about specifics about the projects I have completed.

Third interview is on onsite. I have yet to be interviewed. No offer yet if any.

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

At career fair in my college, they scheduled an on campus interview for the next day. I passed that first interview and they scheduled the second and final interview. I haven't done the second interview, which is supposed to be a phone interview yet. During the first interview they just asked about my projects and what I wanted to do as an intern.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, didn't ask any scary technical questions, mostly stuff about projects.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I got an on-campus interview though my university career fair.
    1st is the brief career fair face to face 10 minutes interview and they will decide whether give you an on-campus interview or not.
    2nd is on-campus interview: General questions and behavior questions about your resume. Try to be persuasive that you know the field you are doing now.
    3rd is a web-cam interview with a manager from California. He asked some behavior questions and some technical questions as well. My advice is pleas be prepared for this one.
    After you passed the 3rd interview you will be invited to Dallas for final on-site interview and prepare a 10 mines presentation. The night before the interview you will have dinner with the people who are currently in the program now. They do not have any impact on your process but you can ask some questions like how is the final interview looks like and what are some things that TI values in this position.
    4th is an on-site interview. You will have 2 interviews with 2 application engineer managers each time. Please print your presentations for the interviewers and be ready to answer any question about the project. You should also expect some behavior and technical questions.

I got the call the same day after I did my final on-site interview and the HR told me I have 2 weeks to decide. I got the official offer letter the next day. I accepted it because the salary and benefit is really good.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are about my project. One question is about buck and boost converter.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer is really good so I did not negotiate.