Texas State

Texas State Interview Questions in Austin, TX

2.5

Administrative Assistant I- Registrar's Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas State in February 2014.

Applied online and interviewed a little over a month later. Panel interview of 4, business casual. Nice folks and they liked to joke around. Mostly typical questions like "Why did you apply?" and "How do you respond to stress?" I was told that a decision would be made at the end of the week and then all applicants would be informed of the outcome. That was three months ago and still no word. That happened last time I interviewed here too. Guess they don't feel the need to actually follow up with the losers.

Interview Questions
    • They did some "got-cha" questions like "What is the fastest way to select an entire table in Excel?" and "How do you use filters in Excel?" I would recommend brushing up on MS Office, just in case.   Answer Question

Information/Reservations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas State.

Hiring process was a breeze, asked simple get to know you questions. Student oriented work style, meaning your manager were students just like you.

Interview Questions
    • Get to know you questions, major? When do you graduate? What your interest are?   Answer Question

Graduate Instructional Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas State in June 2013.

Before each semester, there will be some availability for the GIA position. You just fill out the application form online and then submit it. Later you will receive some confirmation letter and ask you for a short interview. You should bring your resume together with the unofficial transcript, and they just ask some brief questions about Object Oriented Programming, C++, data structure, etc. Then, you may get hired!

Cashier- Parking Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas State in February 2013.

Typing test with one 3 min. warm up and then a 5 min. test. Required to make 35 WPM. Hiring Panel of 5. Business Casual. Interview lasted about 45 min. It was not really difficult, but it does seem like much ado about what is essentially a cashier position. I applied in early Jan., was interviewed in mid- Feb., and then I was told that it may be up to 4 weeks before I hear any news. It is a long process.

Interview Questions
    • What is diversity and why is it important?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you disagreed about a policy or rule, but you regret mentioning it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you have worked with someone you disliked.   Answer Question
    • Describe yourself in five words.   Answer Question

Recieved better offer.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas State in January 2013.

I applied and was called within a few days. Was then scheduled for an interview during the week and was let know about the job the following Monday.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Texas State in May 2012.

Face to face interview. Three people panel. Questions related to the job.

None. It's a public university.

Graduate Instructional Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

interviewed at Texas State in March 2012.

One Face to Face interview. regarding programming skills, databases,operating systems, management skills, networking skills.

Lead Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas State in February 2011.

I met the team I would be working with, who asked me several questions related to mostly open source technologies to see my willingness to learn and/or my ability to lead projects using technologies that are not proprietary. Each person took turns asking 2-3 pages worth of questions about my favorite programming language, how I work, and what type of environment I do well in. I also had the opportunity to present my portfolio and demonstrate the results of my work. They said they would contact me within a week. I was interviewed on a Tuesday, and they contact me the Friday of the following week offering the position.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most difficult thing to do in your favorite programming language?   View Answer

Texas State has a plenty going for it. However, the University had a few policies that made it not feasible for me to accept.

The University has a reasonable policy (on paper) about telecommuting, where such an arrangement requires a legitimate reason and approval; however, this can be misleading, as they will never approve an arrangement from my understanding.

The problem is San Marcos is halfway between San Antonio and Austin, and since I live in San Antonio, the commute was not worthwhile. They were willing to work around my schedule, being a college student myself, but the distance between my school and Texas State is nearly an hour-long drive, and it just wasn't worthwhile for the salary offered. Only time on-site counts--even if your job requires travel or going to a work-related event, you are not compensated for it (unless you have hours you can use to supplement it). Even if I was offered a higher salary (I was offered the maximum allowable for the position), it still would've easily burned me out to have to commute like that on top of being a student and having a family.

In the end, another company in San Antonio offered me a position with a higher salary and more flexibility (i.e. telecommuting), and I went with that position instead.

Child Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas State in September 2010.

I initially applied online and then came in for the in-person interview. I am a college student and was surprised by the level of professionalism at this child care center....a cut above the rest for sure.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked with children and do you understand the developmental stages?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with potty training?   Answer Question
    I accepted the first offer, did not negotiate

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Texas State in July 2010.

Online Application