The Aerospace Corporation Interview Questions in El Segundo, CA

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.6

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied Online Got a phone call to schedule a phone interview Got a Phone Interview - Described my interest in position was asked several technical questions Got an Interview - Questions all day long, Meet and Greet with all the departments took about 5 months from applying to getting an interview and I hear that's pretty quick

Interview Questions

• Regular interview questions, concerned about team work and problem solving   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Originally interviewed at a college career fair, and was told that I would make a great candidate. Interviewed on-site April 2014. Gave a 45-min talk, followed by several 1/1 interviews to gauge my interest in their areas. Taken on a tour of entire facility, as well as out to restaurant in nearby town. Interview ended with several standard questions they needed answered to satisfy HR - they admitted a lot of their questions were purely for legal reasons! Entire interview lasted about 8 hours. They told me they were very impressed, asked me about a start date, you name it. Was then told I would hear back in about a month. I check in at the 1 month point, and was told they were interviewing other candidates, and to expect a decision in a couple more weeks. [That came as a shock, since the position was tailored for me!] Then two more weeks came, and no reply. In fact it has been 4 months, and not a word.

Interview Questions

• Was asked a couple questions about my research in terms of future development. More of a rhetorical question.   Answer Question

Vibro-acoustics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The process was extremely unorganized and unprofessional. I'm sure the company is great, however the individuals in the group I applied with appeared lazy and unwilling to work. I came in very eager and excited to apply my knowledge and skillset, while management continuously told me about lag time between projects and to expect "boring" days. I interviewed in March and received no communication until August. The only reason I heard anything was because I contacted the hiring manager, and the head of HR on numerous occasions. Once I spoke with HR, they told me to expect a written offer within the week; the week went by with no response since the HR representative handling my profile decided to drop everything and take a little vacation. Eventually this misery ended after 4 more phone calls to HR and a terse email to the hiring manager. I was notified that they found somebody more qualified in vibro-acoustic engineering. Ironic, considering I went to Georgia Tech and obtained a masters degree in aerospace engineering specializing in acoustics and vibrations. I think more qualified probably means cheaper. My primary regret is passing up additional responsibilities with my current employer at the expense of prospectively being hired by such a slow and disorganized company. Expect nothing less from an FFRDC. It's dangerous for a company to fabricate no tangible products, spawn zero innovation, and simply consult on the same outdated information or decades. This was a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions

• Why was your GPA in graduate school lower than undergraduate?   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online after hearing about the job through a university listing. I was contacted by the hiring manager for the position for a phone interview. The phone interview was around 30 minutes long. Afterwards, the hiring manager contacted me letting me know that I did not have the experience necessary for the position.

Systems Engineer At Aerospace Corporation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

Filled out application form on line; personal interviews by 6 persons all in one day; had to wait until a hiring freeze ended; offer letter sent

Interview Questions

• The morning interviews were easy; then was taken to a big lunch; after lunch was interviewed by the manager who asked a lot of very good, detailed questions while I was in a too relaxed frame of mind. The message here is to be sharp and ready for every interview even if your earlier interviews went very well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

I got to know some of the employees through my graduate program's recruiting events during graduate school. I was invited to do an informal tour of the campus when I was in the area, long before I was officially looking for employment. I had multiple informal telephone interviews prior to the the official interview. The goal of these was to get a better understanding of what Aerospace's business was, and to learn whether it would be a good fit for me. The interview was a day-long event beginning with a short interview with HR, and then I gave a 45-min technical talk, followed by many 25-min interviews with potential future coworkers.

Interview Questions

• I was asked no difficult or unexpected questions. All of the questions were respectful and appropriate.   Answer Question

Associate Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

The job interview process was very straight forward. I was initially contacted from the company through a career recruiter. There were no difficult parts of the interview throughout the entire hiring process. It may have helped that I already knew a number of people inside the company who were working on similiar projects.

Interview Questions

• There were no curve-ball questions thrown at me. The process was very straight forward.   Answer Question

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

On campus interview which lasted about 45 minutes. Consisted mostly of detailed questions about the things on my resume. They didn't ask any technical questions or any of the normal interview questions you would expect. They spent some time talking in detail about some of the projects they are working on at the company.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Already working at Aerospace; so this was an internal hire to another position. Job posting applied to electronically. Did a lot of pre-interview work on own. The actual interview was about 1 month after submitting application. It was a 1 on 1 interview with hiring manager. Hire on about 2 months later. The interview process was standard. To be successful, did the following: - Did pre interview informational interviews with hiring manager, employees who supported this program, worked with the hiring manager before - Talked to my references to ensure strong reference and their knowledge of program and hiring manager - Practiced with other interviews that I knew I was not going to get or had smaller chance of getting and doing the above with other job interviews.

Interview Questions

• Question was asked about certain key philosophies the hiring manager wanted to speak about. (ex. integrity, responsibility with regards to the job)   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, accept or not accept. Hiring from within the company is a little different than hiring in from outside.

Associate Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the manager of the department that hired me for a very informal phone interview, it took about 45 minutes. He mainly asked me about my past project experience(s), and then explained what they were currently working on, and we chatted about any cross correlations. He asked a few behavioral questions, one of the ones they seemed to hammer was "Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?" It was a pleasant experience, not stressful at all. After we talked, he said that they would fly me out for an in person interview. So they flew me out, rented me a car, and put me up in a hotel room for the night. The next day interview lasted all day, and consisted of different parts. I got there at about 8 AM. First I had a short, half hour interview with a lady from HR. She was very nice and pleasant, and once again asked me where I saw myself in 5-10 years. The other major questions were what I was looking for in terms of salary, and also what my personal hobbies were. Aerospace seems to be very interested in who you are as a person (a huge plus imo, as I have been to interviews at other aerospace companies that were far less cordial or friendly). Then I went to the department I would be working for and met with various people from it, including the big boss, my immediate manager, and most of the staff. The whole process was very informal. They were mainly interested in my major projects through college and grad. school (programming, laboratory, group), and how those projects related to what they did there. Each interview was with a different person one to one, and was 15-30 minutes long. I got a tour of the facilities, and mainly just discussed how I could fit in and help the projects they had going on. I left at around 4:30PM to catch my plane back. Overall it was a very positive experience. They even paid for my lunch. Only advice I will give is to just make sure to come off as professional at all times. I.e. don't use smiley faces or internet meme's (lol) in your communications, dress to impress, and have a reserved, polite, but interested air about you, but this should be self-evident. They are the most laid back of the aerospace companies I have visited, but you can tell they take what they do very seriously, and they have a commitment to doing it well, so they will expect that same ethic in you. After the interview they let me know that I was one of the top competitors for the position via email. After that, It took around a month and a half to finally receive an offer. From first contact to acceptance was around 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?   Answer Question
    • Describe your past projects. Include mathematical detail where necessary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I actually felt that the initial offer was pretty fair for what the position entails.