The Alexander Group (AZ)

www.alexandergroup.com
  www.alexandergroup.com

The Alexander Group (AZ) Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Alexander Group (AZ)

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Stringent yet fair

Fine

Other Interview Reviews for The Alexander Group (AZ)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Alexander Group (AZ) in January 2013.

I applied online for the associate consultant position. The overall interview process starts with an initial HR recruiter 30 minute conversation about your background and experience, then an over the phone 45 minute interview with a Manager and finally an on-site interview with 3 Managers.

The HR interview was pretty simple and straightforward, more of a screening process. The recruiter was extremely friendly and attentive to what you want in your next role.

The next step was an over the phone interview with a Manager from the Alexander Group. We discussed my experience with CRM and Sales. He provided a few mini case scenarios that related to sales coverage, distribution channels, product messaging, etc. It was a pleasant conversation. One week later I was contacted by the recruiter and she asked me to come in for an on-site interview. We then scheduled a time that fit for both of us for an on-site interview.

At the onsite interview, I was scheduled to meet with three managers. When I got to the office I was finally able to meet the recruiter in person and we then struck up a friendly conversation. During our conversation she informs me that one of the interviewers would not be able to meet with me today. When they found out that the interviewer was not going to be able to come in for the interview, I wish they filled his spot with a current associate consultant just so I can get a better understanding of the role and the work that I would be doing rather than not filling his time slot at all. However I understand that the recruiter may have received a late notice of the no show as well so I can't fault her entirely. So, this brought me down to two interviews.

When it was time for my first interview, he was not prepared to start on time. So I continue to chat with the recruiter until he was ready to conduct the interview. 15-20 minutes after our start time he was finally ready to talk. This put me off quite a bit in the beginning but he apologized for the delay and when we started talking I felt like we had a good connection so most of the initial bad impression dissipated.

After my first interview the recruiter took me to do the Excel skills test. It’s pretty straightforward, just some pivot tables, developing pie and bar charts and some sorting exercises. They give you about 45 minutes to complete the Excel skills test.

For my second and last interview I was meeting with another Manager. We started some small talk and then got into my experience, background, why sales management consulting, sale mini-cases, etc. When I would respond to his questions he would type on his computer and it seemed like he only half-listening to what I was saying. I looked at his computer monitor to see if maybe he had an electronic form for writing down interview notes but I saw that he was just sending out emails for work. This made me really upset. Usually with smaller firms you expect a more personable experience since that’s their biggest competitive advantage for recruiting against the larger firms, but this was downright disrespectful. I took 4 hours out of my day to meet with the Alexander Group and a Manager can’t take 45 minutes to focus on me and not work while I talk. At this point I was ready to leave. After I finished up my interview, the manager handed me off to the recruiter. She asked me how things went and I told her that unfortunately during the interview the manager was typing on his computer and he was only half-listening to my responses. She responded with an “I’m sorry to hear that” statement. I told her I appreciated her time for setting up these interviews and that if she has any questions she can contact me through my email.

Later that day, after cooling off, I decided to withdraw my application for the position. I did not want to work with people who did not respect commitments, my time or me as a person.

Overall, this was the worst experience I had for an on-site interview. One of three of my interviewers dropping out in the last minute, starting 15-20 minutes late for my first interview and then a manager conducting work while I was responding to his questions for my second interview. Just a complete lack of respect in general.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach developing a sales compensation plan for a B2B salesforce?   Answer Question

The Alexander Group had a complete lack of respect for me as an individual and for my time.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Alexander Group (AZ) in July 2011.

Had a 20 minute phone screen initially discussing my background, what I was looking to do, and answered some standard behavioral questions. Went in for an in office interview with 4 people (principals, managers) and took an excel skills test which combined took roughly 3 hrs. Interviewers all ask you to go through your background/experience, honing in on skills you would use in a sales consulting environment. Know what the company does as they all ask you what you know about the company and what they do. Some questions "case study type questions" are also asked to gauge your thought process on sales consulting scenarios - i.e if you had $10M budget and were the VP of sales, how would you spend it? If your client was X company, give me your though process on ...... Excel test is fairly simple, they give you a set of data and you answer questions based on manipulation of the data - if you've done some data analysis it shouldnt be a problem. Company is on the smaller boutique side and the people seem pretty smart and had good credentials.

Interview Questions
    • if you were a VP of sales and had a $10M budget, how would you spend it?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question