The Art Institutes (HQ)

www.artinstitutes.edu

The Art Institutes (HQ) Assistant Director of Admissions Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2014

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Director of Admissions

Interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ)

Interview Details – Not an accurate title for the position. You're really an admissions counselor. Making up to a min of 100 calls daily.

Interview Question – The whole process was too drawn out.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not interested

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in January 2012.

Interview Details – Was fed lies by all interviewers. Had four different phone interviews and one in person interview. Took about a month to get the job offer. The job description made it sound as if we were going to help people and run our own business, however, we are micro managed and feeding students lies.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult or unexpected they wanted to know about me and my background. They like people with a lot of drive and motivation, a bit of an ego can help you. That's if you really want to work for this company.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was explained the pay range would go from 40-50k and I tried negotiating asking for 45. They offered 42 and said there was zero wiggle room to ask for more. Men definitely make more money at this company even though the women produce the best there.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in July 2012.

Interview Details – Took 2 Weeks to hear back after interview asked if I like helping people.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 42K per year

Very Easy Interview

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in November 2012.

Interview Details – 1st = Group Interview. Very flashy, but very vague
2nd= Met with Director of Admissions. Again, very flashy... and more of the focus on on her and her life story. Very weird.
3rd= Met with the President of the Campus. Again, just weird. Non-job related questions and more of a life story/talking to fill quiet air. I found myself fishing for answers to try to get to the bottom of what it was that I would REALLY be doing in the position.

Interview Question – How do you feel about the for profit education?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was promised a salary raise on an annual basis when I took the position. However, due to the decline in popularity among for-profit education (especially EDMC) it was recently announced that there were no longer raises or job advancement available.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ).

Interview Details – I received a call about a week later after I applied for the position. I had one interview and I was hired. It's very easy to get hired here.

Interview Question – None. I was asked "why" I wanted the position. Overall, it was a very "to the point" interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, take it or leave it. The company is on a very strict budget.

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with recruiter. Then a group interview with other candidates. At the end of the group interview you will meet individually with the director who will ask you a few questions. If you make it to the next round you will meet with the senior director, HR and at least one director for a final interview. The key is to be animated and talkative. You may not receive an answer that day but a next day offer is expected.

Interview Question – Pretty typical sales questions. How do you stay motivated when doing a task over and over again? (You make a lot of dials on the phone.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Director of Admission Interview

Assistant Director of Admission
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in June 2012.

Interview Details – Very basic interview... nothing too specific... seems like they will hire most people who can speak well, and aren't on drugs.

Interview Questions

• How will you stay motivated since we can't pay commission?   Answer Question
  • Out of 25 ADA's how high on the list do you think you can be after 6 months?   Answer Question

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred by a recruiter. First, had a group info session where they discussed what the position would entail. It was a very thorough presentation and quite comprehensive. There were six candidates in the room and it seemed crucial to ask questions and to stand out. Following, there was a one on one interview that lasted approximately five minutes. Received a call back a day later. Went back to be interviewed by the two directors and the executive director. I received news the same day by the recruiter that they wanted to make an offer. Less than a week later, HR contacted me with the salary offer and was informs there would be a background check.

Interview Question – How do you deal with rejection?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offers a higher salary than the initial base that was mentioned and quite higher than my past salary so there seemed no need to negotiate.

Draper, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in March 2010.

Interview Details – They start by inviting a large group of people to come to the campus and learn more about the position. It's a great forum to ask questions and potentially sticking out. From there they invite you to meet one on one if you're still interested. After the one on one interview they will call you back to set up another round of one on one's. I interviewed with the Senior Director of Admissions and HR Rep as well as the campus President and CFO. All were very professional and well spoken... the CFO had no clue what he was doing and really didn't know much about my position, but other than that, it's important to impress everyone. In my opinion the trait they're looking for is that you are comfortable talking with people and are able to gather information from the conversation. Being able to ask open ended questions is a great strategy. I recommended a friend and told him to mention "open ended questions" in his interview and he got the job.

Interview Question – (in regards to potential student) How would you get someone to talk to you if they were very shy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay is based on experience and education level. Beyond that, there is not a lot of negotiation. It's pretty cut and dry. I was able to convince them to count several years "selling" unrealted products to bump up my experience level.

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in March 2011.

Interview Details – The company is very upfront that the interview process could take 2 - 3 months. Interview started with a presentation of answers to frequently asked questions. Then we were given a tour from one of the "Assistant Directors." This title implies management, but it is just a sales position. The actual assistant director is called the associate director. The position is about 6-8 hours of calling combined with 2 hours or so of giving interested students tours of the facility and then signing them up for the next step. After the tour we went to a 15-20 minute interview.

The people seemed professional and kind. The interview was standard. Why this job? What are your strengths? Were you ever frustrated with not making a sale and what did you do? The interviewer was concerned that I had other Saturday obligations for a couple of months and stated that this was a problem. This company wants you to eat, sleep, and breath sales for them without scheduling conflicts.

This is an hourly position that depends on mandatory overtime to make the stated salary of $30-$35,000. With the time and half and the hours expected 55-60 this puts the hourly wage at around $10 per hour. It seemed that the management was looking for people that were "hungry" for a job, and willing to wait a long time to get it. The other applicants interviewing with me were also put off by the long term interview process. We all had interviews with other companies the following week. This seems like a good way to lose top talented personnel.

Interview Question – Have you ever lost a sale and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Worked for The Art Institutes (HQ)? Contribute to the Community!