The Art Institutes (HQ)

Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in November 2012.

1st = Group Interview. Very flashy, but very vague
    2nd= Met with Director of Admissions. Again, very flashy... and more of the focus on on her and her life story. Very weird.
    3rd= Met with the President of the Campus. Again, just weird. Non-job related questions and more of a life story/talking to fill quiet air. I found myself fishing for answers to try to get to the bottom of what it was that I would REALLY be doing in the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I was promised a salary raise on an annual basis when I took the position. However, due to the decline in popularity among for-profit education (especially EDMC) it was recently announced that there were no longer raises or job advancement available.

Admission Director Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in October 2012.

Applied, and was scheduled for a class room presentation about the position with about 15 other applicants. After the 30 minute presentation, was given a short 5 minute, 3 question personal interview with one of the many staffers. Received a denial letter in the mail 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult:
      Describe in detail your daily routine at your last job.
      Why do you want to work in education?
        Answer Question

Full Time Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ).

I was flown in from another town, interviewed by a group of faculty members.

Interview Questions
    They really wanted me so it was pretty easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in July 2012.

Took 2 Weeks to hear back after interview asked if I like helping people.

42K per year

Assistant Director of Admission Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in June 2012.

Very basic interview... nothing too specific... seems like they will hire most people who can speak well, and aren't on drugs.

Interview Questions
    • How will you stay motivated since we can't pay commission?   Answer Question
    • Out of 25 ADA's how high on the list do you think you can be after 6 months?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in April 2012.

Phone interview with recruiter. Then a group interview with other candidates. At the end of the group interview you will meet individually with the director who will ask you a few questions. If you make it to the next round you will meet with the senior director, HR and at least one director for a final interview. The key is to be animated and talkative. You may not receive an answer that day but a next day offer is expected.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty typical sales questions. How do you stay motivated when doing a task over and over again? (You make a lot of dials on the phone.)   Answer Question
    No negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in March 2012.

I was referred by a recruiter. First, had a group info session where they discussed what the position would entail. It was a very thorough presentation and quite comprehensive. There were six candidates in the room and it seemed crucial to ask questions and to stand out. Following, there was a one on one interview that lasted approximately five minutes. Received a call back a day later. Went back to be interviewed by the two directors and the executive director. I received news the same day by the recruiter that they wanted to make an offer. Less than a week later, HR contacted me with the salary offer and was informs there would be a background check.

Interview Questions
    I was offers a higher salary than the initial base that was mentioned and quite higher than my past salary so there seemed no need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in January 2012.

Was fed lies by all interviewers. Had four different phone interviews and one in person interview. Took about a month to get the job offer. The job description made it sound as if we were going to help people and run our own business, however, we are micro managed and feeding students lies.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected they wanted to know about me and my background. They like people with a lot of drive and motivation, a bit of an ego can help you. That's if you really want to work for this company.   Answer Question
    I was explained the pay range would go from 40-50k and I tried negotiating asking for 45. They offered 42 and said there was zero wiggle room to ask for more. Men definitely make more money at this company even though the women produce the best there.

Financial Aid Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in April 2011.

I was contacted by the Art Institute to set up an interview with the Director of Financial Aid. On the day of the interview the Director was around 45 minutes late but she apologized and immediately placed the blame on the individual who scheduled my interview. I was first interviewed by the Director of Financial Aid and was asked around 3 or 4 basic questions and then the Assistant Director came in where they both began to ask questions. The interviewer stressed fit of the company above experience or knowledge. The best advice I could give would be to demonstrate your adaptability and eagerness to work with a team. The emphasis of the interview was teamwork and doing whatever it takes to help another co-worker. After what I deemed a successful interview and a call back date, I have yet to receive word back from the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If another employee was falling behind on a deadline, what would your response be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Art Institutes (HQ) in March 2011.

The company is very upfront that the interview process could take 2 - 3 months. Interview started with a presentation of answers to frequently asked questions. Then we were given a tour from one of the "Assistant Directors." This title implies management, but it is just a sales position. The actual assistant director is called the associate director. The position is about 6-8 hours of calling combined with 2 hours or so of giving interested students tours of the facility and then signing them up for the next step. After the tour we went to a 15-20 minute interview.

The people seemed professional and kind. The interview was standard. Why this job? What are your strengths? Were you ever frustrated with not making a sale and what did you do? The interviewer was concerned that I had other Saturday obligations for a couple of months and stated that this was a problem. This company wants you to eat, sleep, and breath sales for them without scheduling conflicts.

This is an hourly position that depends on mandatory overtime to make the stated salary of $30-$35,000. With the time and half and the hours expected 55-60 this puts the hourly wage at around $10 per hour. It seemed that the management was looking for people that were "hungry" for a job, and willing to wait a long time to get it. The other applicants interviewing with me were also put off by the long term interview process. We all had interviews with other companies the following week. This seems like a good way to lose top talented personnel.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever lost a sale and what did you do about it?   Answer Question