The Asia Foundation

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Asia Foundation

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Asia Foundation in October 2009.

initial contact and application process was very smooth, with an hr generalist to assist the process. applied online, got a call for an initial interview with some lower level associates, with your usual nonprofit interview questions. everyone was very professional. got called for a 2nd interview, with a couple mid level managers, 1 on 1 with 3 directors. Response from the 2nd interview took a while to get back, and eventually not offered the position. I contacted one of the directors, who had given me her business card (and had told me to contact her if I had any questions during the entire process). I contacted via phone and email, to which I got no response. Very unprofessional. A simple question of why I wasn't the one chosen for the position, which many orgs have offered me in great detail.

Interview Questions
    • basic interpersonal questions, background of how your experience fits the job...   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at The Asia Foundation in April 2011.

In the interview, you will know that they are not interested in you. From the start, they only talk about TAF, so I agree from the other review made earlier that the managers need to be replaced because even the Senior Director who is supposed to be the leader of the group interviewing did not even show that he knew the protocol of a decent review- didn't introduce himself- nor shake your hands before and after the interview. The first thing he said was totally a discouraging comment that your qualifications are so..... Therefore, during the interview process, you felt so discouraged to even continue talking and so with the other employees. It showed that the interview is so political and you better be a Chinese to be accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself because I did not bring your CV and I already read everything about you. Also, your qualifications don't really match because we need someone very passionate about the job.   View Answer
    • How do you handle stress- with a big laugh?   View Answer

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Asia Foundation in October 2010.

Initial communication by email with a newly opened job description, followed by an unofficial meeting with the program director requested by me. after an official application for the job from my side, they requested a salary history form. Then official interview was held with 3 people. Then came letter of offer with my my last salary almost unchanged and I accepted the offer as the job itself seemed appealing.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was if I knew or had experience of working with standards. This wasn't really my area.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. later I learnt that other people negotiated and got an increased salary straightaway. I would suggest to always negotiate and ask for an increase.

Worked for The Asia Foundation? Contribute to the Community!