The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Interview Questions

Digital Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in August 2011.

Heard about the opening from a friend and former coworker. Initial phone interview with the recruiter included a detail about backgrounds. Then I met with initial hiring manager during my lunch hour - good flexibility on their part - which went well and was followed by a very detailed phone based skills/personality test. I thought I would be meeting with the regional manager next, but was instead interviewed by a team lead and hiring manager for another territory. After that, I expected to hear about an interview with the regional manager, but was instead rejected based upon a criteria that was established in my first interview with them, which I felt was a waste of my time and theirs.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be?   Answer Question

Human Resource Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in February 2011.

I received a call from the recruiter regarding my information. I spoke with them about my qualifications and applicability to the position. I received a return call requesting an in person interview. The interview was a pannel interview.

I had answered a question, not exactly the way I inteded it to be answered. My mistake was not thinking through the question without answering. I belive that was to my detriment in the process.

I never heard back from them again. No thank you for coming, no thanks but no thanks letter, nothing.

To make matters worse we had a huge ice storm and the parking lot was not cleared. It took me a minute to even get into the building.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an employee complaint that the supervisor was not saying good morning to them, but said good morning to everyone else?   View Answer

Senior Account Executive - Major Accounts and Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in June 2010.

Over the course of seven weeks, I had the opportunity to interview for two positions. The first was with National Accounts as a Senior Account Executive and the other was an Account Manager - Local Sales.

This company (under Cox Media) has gone through numerous reorganizations and lay offs. The perception I had of the process and the company as a whole was disorganization, lack of departmental vision and poor communication. The new mantra of the AJC sales team is all about customer service and consultative selling. Apparently years of bad sales reps during the boom before the recession, lead them into a bad financial situation currently. With all the reorganizations, many lower performing employees were let go and they are rehiring to fill these positions.

I initially met with the Recruiter who answered a lot of the preliminary questions I had. He also wanted to know about what I was looking for in a career, I appreciated this. I learned during this conversation that the AJC had a past problem of recycling employees. If one employee was doing a mediocre job, they were likely to be kept within the organization rather than being fired. He was trying to break them of this habit and bring in external candidates.

The first position I interviewed for was the Senior Account Executive position in the Major Accounts Department. The incumbent hadn't been doing his job of making sales calls but apparently is still employed at AJC in another position. The Management for this position was obviously very leery of every candidate because of the incumbent. Per the Recruiter's recommendation, he told me to be more conversational than aggressive during these interviews. After several weeks, it came down to me and an internal candidate. The Manager for this position wanted me to prove I was able to sell. After giving references of past employers and customers, they stated that I couldn't prove I could sell. I called my references and found that no one had contacted them and the internal candidate got the position. This process to receive feedback and to find out whether or not I would move to the next round took a long time. From start to finish it was about 6+ weeks.

After not being selected for the Senior Account Executive position, the Recruiter recommended that I also interviewed for a new position, Account Manager - Local Sales. He didn't have much information other than a very long and verbose job description that had many AJC internal descriptions. When I asked him to decipher certain sentences in the job description, he let me know I would have an opportunity to ask the Manager when I interviewed. Clearly he wasn’t positive what the description meant either and kept saying it was a newly created position. I met with the Regional Sales Manager and really was trying to find out what exactly the position would entail. During our conversation, the Manager spent most of the time talking and explaining the position. He had a very difficult time trying to sum up the position. He also spent a long time drawing flow charts for me and his explanation was extremely long. I let him know briefly of my Account Management experience but he asked me only two questions before the interview ended. He later let the Recruiter know that he enjoyed our conversation but didn't think I sold myself enough. An internal candidate got the position.

I question whether or not I was truly there because I was a viable candidate or if I was there to prove the Recruiter was doing his job? If the AJC wants to break free of their poor past performance in advertising, perhaps they should look outside of their glass house to find better talent.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your selling style.   Answer Question
    • What is the most difficult sales situation you have encountered and how did you overcome this?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in January 2010.

Got an email from a recruiter with the AJC on linkedin.com. Recruiter called to request a time when it was convenient to phone screen since I was currently employed. Phone screened took about 30 minutes and consisted of 20 technical questions and was told I’d be contacted with next steps. I was interested b/c it was more money. Next few days I was brought into a face-to-face interview the recruiter. Interview was fairly casual, she was nice, asked several behavioral style questions (hate those), questions regarding my background then she talked about the culture, the move to Dunwoody, more about the department, etc. I was brought in again and interviewed 2 weeks later with the hiring managers, asked more indebt technical questions and I could tell they were trying to frazzle me. The recruiter contacted the next day with feedback and I was told I didn’t get the position. I guess I’m happy I was told I didn’t get the job but still disappointed considering the position was filled internally. Why waste people’s time?

Interview Questions
    • Can you connect Active Directory to other 3rd-party Directory Services? Name a few options.   View Answer

Credit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in August 2009.

It was a drawn out process as nothing goes fast at The AJC. I was living in Florida, flew in, interviewed and went back. I didn't hear anything for a month when I was asked to come in for a second interview. I flew back up and had two interviews this time. Flew back home and didn't hear anything for a couple weeks, then I received an offer and a start date in two weeks! I was able to get that extended for an additional week. The interviews themselves were typical large company interview. Questions like, what was the biggest problem you faced, how did you handle it and what was the result. My second interviewer was the cfo who was laid back and just chatted for about 30 minutes and went with the hiring directors decision.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of 10 things, how would i prioritize them when I start. I had no idea what half of them were as I never worked for a paper before.   View Answer
    • Mostly communication questions as they had a major problem between sales and credit.   View Answer
    The salary was fine, no negotiatiing needed. They did not pay to relocate, but did allow me an additional week to report.

Courier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Duluth, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in May 2009.

Easy process, fill out application, was called back within a week. Interviewed and was hired on spot.

Newspaper Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in March 2009.

Met future interviewer at a job fair. Was offered the chance for an interview immediately. Went in for an interview a few days later, which also included information about the job I would actually be doing. Met with another individual from the same division, and then was taken to meet with someone actually currently doing the job. Was a good interview processes.

Interview Questions

Received a better offer a few days later with another company.

Worked for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution? Contribute to the Community!