The Blackstone Group

51 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chief Financial Office Summer Internship Interview

Jamaica, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Blackstone Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – On campus recruitment effort. This seemed like more of an accounting position with the job description being: Program Description, whereas I am a finance major.

The Chief Financial Office Summer Internship Program seeks to offer experience within Blackstone’s Chief Financial Office to promising college juniors who are interested in careers in Accounting/Taxation. The CFO Internship Program is designed to attract, develop and retain candidates who share the Finance Team’s dedication for leveraging and protecting the firm’s balance sheet to the benefit of investors, clients, shareholders and employees.

The CFO Internship is a 10-week program which provides hands-on experience in the Tax Group within Finance. Interns will have direct access to senior-level program sponsors, as well as engaging mentoring and development opportunities.

The training program for the CFO Internship is intended to sharpen and develop analytical and communication skills. Interns will attend a series of “Lunch and Learns” where they will gain a valuable overview of functions throughout the firm from senior-level leaders. They will participate in intensive training in taxation supplemented by advanced Excel classes to gain experience which will contribute to the success of their assignments, including analysis, modeling, reconciliation, and reporting. Interns will also have a formal mentor who will guide their day-to-day project work, as well as provide individualized career insight and support.

Responsibilities:
Interns will be placed the firm’s tax group for the duration of the program. There are a variety of projects and responsibilities, including:
• Discussions and analysis regarding tax structures for various Blackstone investments
• Preparation of partnership/corporate tax return papers and forms and other tax reporting projects
• Analysis of individual tax matters impacting the firm’s Senior Managing Directors
• Expected rotation through two business units

Was sitting with a reception interviewer, before the main interview. She was very pleasant, from Miami. We talked and enjoyed some professional humor. Afterwards, was called into a private room with the interviewer, was the employee from the group, not an HR person. He was not as eloquent as I was expecting, using vulgarity in an under-breath comment about the weather. However, he was very relaxed, and because of this, I felt relaxed. It went very well and was only behavioral questions. We ended by him saying "I'm supposed to tell you that we'll get back to you in X time period, but I'm just going to tell you right now I'll be in contact with you within the next 24 hours to set up another interview with a panel to move forward." I was not contacted the following day, and became concerned. The next day I sent an email to him asking what had happened and if there was a mistake, and he said "I misunderstood him." I do not believe I misunderstood him and still to this day cannot figure out why I was not brought to another interview.

Interview Question – It was very relaxed, no particular difficult question.   Answer Question

Innovations and Infrastructure Software Engineer (Summer) Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Interview Details – Went through my school's career site. First interview was an hour long. For the first half hour, the interviewer gave me a set of problems, left the the room, and I had half an hour to work through them. They weren't too difficult, standard programming challenges. The second half hour was talking through how I did the problems and some talking about myself. The second interview was a superday at their office in NY. Consisted of three back to back interviews. Each interview was a little different - some focused on talking to me about experience, etc, while others had a much more programming-oriented

Interview Question – The initial interview had a problem that was all about mySQL... Interviewer didn't seem to mind that I didn't know/remember much mySQL, but would have been a good way to stand out right away.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Innovation and Infrastructure Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at The Blackstone Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – Paper test with 4 questions on it. The interviewer gave me 30 minutes to write the answer and then came back to discuss with me.

Q1: Convert a string to an integer, like '123' to interger 123. And tell the complexity of your algorithm.

Q2:A question about a database, I need to write SQL and discuss the tradeoff of that database( normalized vs denormalized databases)

Q3: Given two arrays a1, a2, find all elements in a2 that are not in a1.

Q4: Implement a method of a special binary tree. The treenodes all have values, the leaves of the tree are only values, while the non-leaf node are values(not known at the beginning) with another field-operators including plus, minus, times, divides, and abs. Given the root of the tree, return the value of the root.

I firstly finished the 3 coding problems and have no time to do the sql. The interviewer discussed with me about the codings, and then give me more time to finish Q2. Then tell me about his position and duties.

Interview Question – The questions are not so hard, but to finish them all in 30 minutes is not so easy as well.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Interviewed at The Blackstone Group

Interview Details – I sent in my application and within a few days I got an email to come in for an interview. The second I stepped into the interview, I was handed a paper test of programming questions to write out. There were four questions:
1) I had to make my own version of Integer.parseInt(string) that would be able to work on any base
2) I had to do 4 queries on a set of tables and then explain what made these tables good and what made them bad.
3) I had to make a function with time complexity O(n) that determines what elements are in one array and not in the other
4) I had to make an XML parser
I was given 30 minutes to complete these questions. After the test, I spoke with two individuals and they analyzed each piece of my resume asking very detailed questions about things I have done many months to years ago.

Interview Question – I had to make an XML parser and no where on my resume did it say I am familiar with XML   Answer Question

US Technology Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through other source - interviewed at The Blackstone Group in September 2010.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews: First round with HR, Second round with VPs of US Technology. Mostly fit questions as the position wasn't for particularly complicated work with the group. Had to go through the usual background checks and drug tests that come with corporate positions.

Interview Question – Fit questions, typical behavioral stuff to see if you'd mesh   Answer Question

2014 Summer Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Blackstone Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – It was a difficult test conducted in 30 minutes. 4 questions in total, you are left alone to do it in about 30 minutes and then explain the solutions to your interviewers in detail, including your thinking process and time/space complexities evaluation.

Interview Question – implement the Integer.parseInt method from scratch. given a string and return an integer.   Answer Question

Intern
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Blackstone Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met at career fair at school. First round interviews at school. I was interested in software engineering role. First round interview included several basic questions on datatypes and recursion.

Interview Question – Build an AI for the game battleship   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Looking for internship in different field.

M&A Advisory Intern Interview

Interviewed at The Blackstone Group

Interview Details – Asked the normal/expected investment banking questions to make sure you had some base knowledge. Asked about experiences on resume that are relevant to investment banking, either past internships or school projects that you have worked on. There were a few harder questions that incorporated finance concepts that you really had to think about.

Interview Question – Normal questions about DCF, LBO, etc.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at The Blackstone Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – On campus interview, then superday in New York

Interview Question – What writers and columnists do you follow in the news?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Blackstone Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews with three people each. was contacted 1 week later with an offer. the entire process from the day i submitted my application to the day i got my offer was one month. everyone was really nice and professional.

Interview Question – a few technicals but mostly fit questions, resume explanation, etc.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Blackstone Group

Worked for The Blackstone Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Blackstone Group interview questions and advice. All 51 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Blackstone Group employees and interview candidates.