The Blackstone Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.4

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Applied at career fair at school. Process took about 4 weeks. Consisted of a first round in person interview with 4 programming questions. Next was a superday with 4 hours of 6-8 interviewers, all fit questions for the entire day.

Interview Questions
    • 4 question free response, covering several different programming languages. "Write an XML parser in Java."   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Details

Met at career fair at school. First round interviews at school. I was interested in software engineering role. First round interview included several basic questions convert a string to an integer, some database questions and one question on expression trees.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Applied through university career fair, got a call to interview on campus.
    Had to code for 3 questions and then write an SQL query and also analyze the database within 30 minutes. I could answer only 2 and then had figured out logic for the third. The interviewer discussed the 2 questions and then gave time to explain the other unattended questions.
    The interview went smooth. All questions were as expected, nothing difficult though.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult aspect was the time, its difficult to analyze and answer 4 in 30 minutes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Blackstone Group in October 2014.

Applied at a career fair, was asked to come interview with them about 2-3 weeks after. An hour long interview, asked 4 questions.
    1) Take a string and turn it to an int.
    2) Gave me a SQL data model and wanted me to write a SQL Select statement. Involved a double join.
    3) Given 2 arrays, find the unique elements in array 2.
    4) Given the class models and a diagram of a binary tree with operators and numbers. Write a function to calculate the value at the root.

Interview Questions
    • The SQL question was very tough since I wasn't very good at it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Was referred by a friend. Met a couple people in a casual context then had a 30 minute phone interview. I applied out of the analyst program so it was an expedited recruitment process.

Director Interview

First contact is with the recruiter. they will review the company and discuss the position. Lots of talk about culture and the like. The next interview is with the hiring Manager. You will also spend time with peers as well as other managers at your the hiring managers level

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Blackstone Group in June 2014.

Process is long, as you have to interview with HR for one round, go in for another round to be prescreened by their client coordinator, THEN, you meet with the team they think you are a good fit for. Easily 3-5 rounds of interview for an hour minimum or up to 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked me to play 2 Truths and a Lie. Caught me off guard, but it was a fun way to see his personality. I have a Masters in English, and the interviewer also had a background in English literature and was very thorough in asking me who my favorite authors/genres were and had me compare them to modern day authors.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst- Mergers and Acquisitions Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

I applied through my campus career office and received a first round interview on campus. The interview itself was thirty minutes long. I was first interviewed by an analyst who said his partner would be there shortly to interview me- she never showed up. He asked some fit questions and then proceeded to ask technical questions. When my answers to the first few questions were correct but I admitted to small gaps in my knowledge, he took over the conversation and chose to lecture me on technicals.

Innovations and Infrastructure Software Engineer (Summer) Interview

Went through my school's career site. First interview was an hour long. For the first half hour, the interviewer gave me a set of problems, left the the room, and I had half an hour to work through them. They weren't too difficult, standard programming challenges. The second half hour was talking through how I did the problems and some talking about myself. The second interview was a superday at their office in NY. Consisted of three back to back interviews. Each interview was a little different - some focused on talking to me about experience, etc, while others had a much more programming-oriented

Interview Questions
    • The initial interview had a problem that was all about mySQL... Interviewer didn't seem to mind that I didn't know/remember much mySQL, but would have been a good way to stand out right away.   Answer Question

Chief Financial Officer Office Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Blackstone Group in April 2014.

Applied through on campus recruiting, had two 30 minute interviews. Only a few behavioral questions, mostly basic finance concept questions and questions about the company. Definitely know the major revenue drivers for the company. Interviewers were very stern, there was not a lot of back and forth dialogue. Felt more like a speech than a conversation. I was simply asked questions and they wrote things down, then when I was done talking they asked a new question.