The Blackstone Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.3

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I had worked as a temp for a few short weeks with one of the company's more senior executives. Based on my performance I was offered a permanent position. Thus my interview was more of a salary negotiation. I will say I was low balled initially but I accepted the offer with the understanding that my salary would be adjusted at the year's end. For whatever reason that actually did not take place as expected. However, I raised my concerns with my Executive, who went to HR and had my expectations met as discussed when I was initially offered the permanent position.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Interview

Went through a recruiter. Had me do a online test first. Took a couple of hours to complete that. After the online test, heard back 2 weeks later for onsite interview with 3 people. First people was a senior engineer. Went over some friendly conversation and some typical algorithm, coding questions. After that, talked to a senior Manager and then CIO. The latter two interviews are more about experience and expecations. Everything went well, and received offer 1 week late.

Interview Questions

• What is your most interesting project? and explain it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I used a staffing agency, Ladders for Leaders. They provided me with a recommendation a GIANT foot in the door. As for the actual interview process, all I had to do was go through a phone interview. The SVP of Talent Development asked me questions about my resume and what leadership roles I possessed in college and before. The interview was very short and I received confirmation about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions about the firm, my resume and leadership positions.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiting coordinator reached out (email) to schedule interview, 1 week in advance. Arrived to appointment 15 minutes early, and waited 55 mins alone inside lobby reception. Finally, when HR manager came to meet, she mentioned I wasn't scheduled into her calendar. Very fast interview (10 minutes), no candidate specific questions, felt as if i was eating up the HR Managers lunch hour or something. Emailed the coordinator asking why interview was never scheduled, no response. Emailed a thank you to HR Manager for interview no response. Interview was two months ago.

Summer Analyst - BAAM (Compliance) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The whole process took about 6 weeks and involved speaking with 6 people in total: 3 via phone call and 3 in person at their office. Interview questions were strictly personality- and resume-based.... I don't think there was a single technical question involved, however 4 of the 6 people I talked to seemed a bit lifeless and did not want to talk more than necessary. Each of the 6 interviews lasted anywhere from 20-45 minutes. All interviews were one-on-one. It was nice that they pay for transportation (Amtrak and taxi fare) to their NYC office and were very cordial and professional, too. Unfortunately, the firm did seem a bit stiff and conservative compared to its competitors, which I expected to like and turned out hating - but that's all a matter of personal preference anyway. Something about the firm just did not have the right "fit" for me. Also, I should note that full suits, jacket and all, are expected to be worn to work on a daily basis.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. Why Blackstone? What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses? Why this particular position?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Main technologies: All microsoft company - C#, .NET, Microsoft SQL Server, Visual Studio, ASP.NET web interfaces Received a call via recruiter and submitted application through them. consisted of 2 parts: Online and in person interview. The online interview had 1 basic coding problem (can't remember what it was), a question on how you would build out an automated trading system based on twitter, and an open ended question about a project you were proud of or did. After a few days I got a call back from the recruiter stating that they liked my answers online and scheduled an in person interview a week later. The in-person interview was schedule for 2 hours and felt very time constrained. You are to go to the front desk and get you pass, take the elevator to the correct location and wait (about 25 mins in my case) for someone to fetch you from the floor lobby to begin your interview. I was brought into a room and given a packet with about 4-5 coding questions I was given about 35 minutes to try to complete this packet and got through about the first 2 questions. After the interview came back we walked through my solutions and I verbally walked through with him how to solve the last 3 and how to improve all answers. Second face to face was immediately after with some basic personality questions (Why Blackstone, tell me about yourself, etc.). I was asked to code on a giant white board with him there and walk him through as I solved to find the number of occurrences of a certain number from a given set. It was very nice as we were bouncing ideas back and forth and he was receptive to my explanations of doing things a certain way, while suggesting possible better solutions for certain issues. This whole part took the full hour. Was tough technically, but not unmanagable if you are knowledgable about things (from most to least important: Hash tables, dictionaries, tree traversal, SQL Joins and basic SQL, binary searching, best sorting).

Interview Questions

• Convert a string to an int without using built in methods   1 Answer
    • If you are given a tree broken up where parent nodes are operations and end points are numbers, write an interpreter to write into a math problem according to PEMDAS like so (4+5)*3-2)/5.   1 Answer
    • Create a SELECT query by doing joins on different given tables   1 Answer
    • Find the number of occurrences of a given number from a total given set   1 Answer

Real Estate Legal/Compliance Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Interview

I applied online and heard back after a month. It was a first round phone interview and a bit impersonal. Overall not bad just upset I didn't get an offer

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed Were you offered the position for this summer How will this position help you achieve your 5 year goals   Answer Question

Analyst, Private Equity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Went through off season recruiting process so was probably unconventional to the norm. First round was a 30 minute modeling test followed by a behavioral. Second round was behavioral interview with 2 senior members of the team and one associate. Overall the process went very slow and seemed the only way I could move it forward was to reach out to them to move it along.

Interview Questions

• Give specific examples of work you have done in the past and how it would apply to this job.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

Interview

Phone Interview where I was asked personal questions and things regarding my resume. Then was emailed for a skype interview where I was spoken to my two employees. The skype was awkward at first but again they asked about the resume and other behavioral questions but also threw in some financial statement questions. The last round consisted of three rounds of interviews one of which was done with two employees. The last round was an hour total with each interview lasting 20 minutes. It's pretty much your time to shine so you have to be able to impress them with your resume, answer some questions about the firm and have a clear though process.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Interview

The guy is also a new empleyee who just joined one year ago. first round phone interview, second round skype interview, last round on-site superday interview. They scheduled the first phone interview two days before

Interview Questions

• phone interview: please walk me through your resume; what are your two strengths and weaknesses; can you tell me your previous team work example; how your past internship experience help you in the work and study   Answer Question