The Borenstein Group Interview Questions

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Borenstein Group

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Borenstein Group in January 2010.

Good group of folks. great informal convo. felt at home from day 1.

Interview Questions
    • what is your approach to business development in b2b environment? would you use networking?   View Answers (2)

Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Borenstein Group in February 2009.

Borenstein Group is a unique agency in the sense that it focuses on b2b advertising, marketing and pr. people are expected to know about technology marketing and keep up with trends. So, the interview was a combination of knowledge testing, learning about who I was, and how I would be of value.

Interview Questions
    • if your had an full size ad page in Business week about yourself, what word would you use in the ad to sell yourself as a brand?   View Answer
    No. salary had a cap.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at The Borenstein Group in January 2009.

I should have known from the initial phone interview with the owner of the agency that something was off, but went in anyway to meet with him and others. Their office was so weird, not at all what you would expect from a marketing agency. It was like going into a bad doctor's or debt collector's office. There was a massive receptionist desk with a desktop computer (circa 1990) - nobody physically around, and complete and total silence... All agencies I've been in have a ton of constant motion, people talking, phones ringing, music blaring... Aside from the overly formal fake leather furniture, there was this life size cabbage patch looking doll dressed as an old lady in a dress suit... Finally the owner appeared from around the corner and asked who I was there to see. Although he was very nice, he was dressed in such unprofessional attire that it made me wonder if he had forgotten that I was coming in. When I asked the obvious about the dummy, he rambled on forever with some story about how it was purposely placed there to assess whether or not people had a sense of humor.... Things basically went down hill from there. I had budgeted 90minutes for the meeting, of which nearly all of that was taken up by meeting with the owner. He talked endlessly about himself, his views, other stuff that made me think he had just studied up on a bunch of Ad Age magazines. He was quick to use a lot of buzz words, but never had any real depth to any of his thoughts. He did ask me a few questions - but nothing that had much to do with the job, my experience, my own perspective. I would start to answer and he would somehow take the conversation back to talking about himself. He finally gave me a copy of a book that he had just written and published himself from what I found out later, and then intro'd me to some other folks. There was a woman who ran PR and a guy who was a creative director. They were both really sharp, and what I would have expected to find working at an agency. When I asked them how they liked working there... clearly both got a bit nervous and broke eye contact. I've learned that they've both left since then.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about changing up a team environment?   Answer Question

At the end of the day - no matter what anyone could have brought to the table - it's one guy's name that is on the door. I thought the challenge would have been interesting, but it would take a stronger person than me to have been able to work around some of the obvious challenges and deficiencies at the very top owner level.

Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Borenstein Group in January 2009.

The Borenstein Group was one of the most rewarding job interviews I ever had. They asked non-book-like questions, so I had to be inventive and creative with my answers. They hire by personality and intelligence and the resume is just for talking points.

Interview Questions
    Borenstein is looking for problem-solvers not order-takers. Be prepared to be asked tough questions about history, music or any genre that isn't directly related to your job. they look for highly intelligent people. Also, don't be too formal or timid, because they interpret that as being too shy for this business. all in all, I got the job because I was being me, and less the 'corporate me' which my other friends told me I should be. that's why I think I got the job.