The Boston Globe

www.boston.com

The Boston Globe Interview Questions

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Boston Globe.

After submitting my resume online, I was contacted by HR a few months later. They had a position that opened up that fit my resume. We had a brief phone interview/screening, then I met with my manager for one in-person interview. They contacted me within the next week and offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • The interview included mostly standard interview questions for a sales position. Wanted to know what my style of sales would be like, my past successes, ability to achieve sales quotas, etc. Nothing too difficult to answer.   Answer Question
    The compensation structure is pretty set, since advertising positions are all run under the union. Not much room for negotiation.

Web Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Boston Globe in March 2013.

The overall planning process was quick. Seemed like a team oriented, fast paced environment. The employees seemed content.

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Boston Globe in December 2012.

Very good. I was an internal candidate and well known, so it was different than it would have been if I had been an outside candidate. In general the Globe is very thorough on vetting external candidates, and though it's been 25 years since I was one, I remember it being a very challenging but fair process that gave me a fair amount of insight into the company as well as giving the company insight into me. It included a three-day paid tryout.

Interview Questions
    • The tryout experience was "live." I was editing copy on deadline for a major metro. It was the most challenging part of the process.   View Answer
    It was a union job, so there was no negotiation of salary and working conditions. Later, I was able to negotiate for title, salary and benefits.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Boston Globe.

Fantastic interview process. I had a phone call (not interview, partially a screening but not too formal) with an HR manager before coming in for an in person interview which gave me an opportunity to ask about the basics (benefits, what to prepare for my in person interview). My in person interview consisted of two days: first I met with my hiring manager and several senior managers with whom I would be working closely; I came back the next day to meet with another individual who wasn't available to meet during my first visit. Everyone was really candid about their experiences at the company and I also received a quick tour (make sure you get to see the Globe Lab!). Overall it was a very relaxed, positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to replace all the hubcaps on the taxis in Boston, how would you go about it?   Answer Question
    Negotiations are easy if you prepare the hiring manager during your interview. Being clear and upfront about your expectations (salary, benefits, etc.) ensures that you won't be stuck with much back and forth during the process.

Public Relations Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Boston Globe in October 2008.

I met with the HR recruiter on campus, we talked for about 25 minutes. He's a great guy, we were joking by the end of it - no pressure at all. I received an email probably 3 days later asking if I would come in for an interview in person with the Vice President of Communications. Although slightly more formal, that interview went well and didn't really have any difficult questions. Basically just reciting your resume.