The Boston Globe

4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Web Production Specialist Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Boston Globe in March 2013.

Interview Details – The overall planning process was quick. Seemed like a team oriented, fast paced environment. The employees seemed content.

Interview Question – What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?   Answer Question

IT Director Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Boston Globe in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very good. I was an internal candidate and well known, so it was different than it would have been if I had been an outside candidate. In general the Globe is very thorough on vetting external candidates, and though it's been 25 years since I was one, I remember it being a very challenging but fair process that gave me a fair amount of insight into the company as well as giving the company insight into me. It included a three-day paid tryout.

Interview Question – The tryout experience was "live." I was editing copy on deadline for a major metro. It was the most challenging part of the process.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a union job, so there was no negotiation of salary and working conditions. Later, I was able to negotiate for title, salary and benefits.

Product Manager Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Boston Globe.

Interview Details – Fantastic interview process. I had a phone call (not interview, partially a screening but not too formal) with an HR manager before coming in for an in person interview which gave me an opportunity to ask about the basics (benefits, what to prepare for my in person interview). My in person interview consisted of two days: first I met with my hiring manager and several senior managers with whom I would be working closely; I came back the next day to meet with another individual who wasn't available to meet during my first visit. Everyone was really candid about their experiences at the company and I also received a quick tour (make sure you get to see the Globe Lab!). Overall it was a very relaxed, positive experience.

Interview Question – If you had to replace all the hubcaps on the taxis in Boston, how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations are easy if you prepare the hiring manager during your interview. Being clear and upfront about your expectations (salary, benefits, etc.) ensures that you won't be stuck with much back and forth during the process.

Public Relations Co-Op Interview

Public Relations Co-Op
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Boston Globe in October 2008.

Interview Details – I met with the HR recruiter on campus, we talked for about 25 minutes. He's a great guy, we were joking by the end of it - no pressure at all. I received an email probably 3 days later asking if I would come in for an interview in person with the Vice President of Communications. Although slightly more formal, that interview went well and didn't really have any difficult questions. Basically just reciting your resume.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for The Boston Globe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Boston Globe interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Boston Globe employees and interview candidates.