The Brattle Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Brattle Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Brattle Group (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

First Round Interview. Questions mostly are based on straightforward questions regarding your previous research project or work experiences. Also, there are questions about teamwork, both great teamwork and conflict situation.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate yourself if you work on a project that you are not interested in?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

First round on-campus interview. I applied on the website but networked with a principal - probably this helped me to get the interview opportunity. The interview was not pleasant. The interviewers are pushing really hard.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview, typical interview questions, why Brattle, why economic consulting. you project experience and how you apply your quantitative skills. No difficult questions and no technical questions. Just show your passion for this position. Do research about economic consulting industry.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Brattle Group (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

Process took one month. First was an on-campus interview with an HR person and a research analyst. Standard behavioral questions aside, they asked in details about your research paper and how you deal with data. Second round happened around 2 weeks after. 6 interviews in total, including case interview and lunch with RAs. Lots of questions related to research paper and past internship experience, even at lunch interview. Heard back from them 2 weeks after.

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

First interview was done on campus. I was asked about my previous work experience as well as relevant coursework and projects I've worked on, why economic consulting, and why Brattle. I was then invited to their Cambridge office for all day interviews. The interviews were pretty straight forward. Met with a research analyst, associate for a case interview, senior associate, principal, lunch with two research analysts, and another principal. Besides with the associate, all the interviews were pretty similar. Each was thirty minutes long. I had to discuss my qualifications for the job - previous work experience, coursework and projects (make sure you know everything about your research projects from class), and why I am looking at economic consulting and Brattle. The interviews with the principals varied in difficulty with one being more difficult due to more complex questions about what my projects but also more hostility (due to either the guy's personality or maybe just tougher questions to see how I would react). Lunch with the two research analysts was pretty relaxed, just lunchtime conversations. They ask some questions about your qualifications but allow for you to ask them about their experience at the firm and some of their background information as well. Less formal compared to the other interviews. Went out to a pretty nice restaurant. Took about an hour and a half. The case portion was an hour long but not too difficult. There are some weird assumptions in the case I looked at that I hadn't considered so try to ask questions until they tell you that you can proceed. Very nice office and nice people.

Interview Questions

• Case interview was about deciding between what plant to open based on different costs and revenues of each plant, which are in different states.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Brattle Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Attended on-campus presentation. Selected for first round on-campus interview with a research analyst and senior associate. The interview lasted 30 minutes and was entirely fit. Contacted a couple of weeks later for a second round onsite interview. Interviewed with 5 employees ranging from research analyst to principal, plus a lunch interview with 2 research analysts. There was a one-hour case interview; the rest were all fit interviews.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to talk about your research (background, dataset, methodologies, results, assumptions, plans for further research... etc.) and answer technical questions about basic econometric/macroeconomic/microeconomic topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Brattle Group (Cambridge, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

Overall pretty responsive when it comes to talking about the timeline. Did a pretty through job going through what the interview would be about and letting you meet people from many different parts of the company. A very academic setting, particularly when talking to the principles so it wasn't nearly as comfortable as other interviews I have had.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but got the sense that they weren't very flexible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Brattle Group (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed on campus by a senior associate who didn't seem that interested in the recruitment process. The interviewer asked about previous internship experience, behavioral questions, and why Brattle. Interest in the energy sector will help. The more you can say about any research or quantitative projects, the more you'll have to talk about.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Brattle Group (Cambridge, MA) in June 2013.

Interview

Final Round: On site interview. Research Analyst, Associate, Case Study (by Associate), Principal, Principal, Lunch (with two Research Analysts). General questions: Background, Why Brattle, Future Plans. Very detailed questions about my research projects/thesis - you must review your projects before the interview. Case study: Large word problem but with mostly quantitative questions (compare profits of two companies, what happens if we add tax etc), marginal/average cost curves, explain regression output. Lunch: It is half lunch/half interview but pretty relaxed, nothing to worry about.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my research projects, not only what I had done but also why I had done it this way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Brattle Group (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Interview was for about 5 hours and consisted of half-hour chunks: 1st was with another research analyst (RA) who sort of acclimated me to the office 2nd was with an associate 3rd was an hour-long case exercise, very similar to a management consulting case exercise. Emphasis was on intuitive quantitative problem solving. My question was something like, "Richard Branson wants to open a factory and sell children's snack food. Should he open an orange plant in FL or an apple one in DC?" 4th was another interview with an associate. 5th was an hour-and-a-half long lunch with two RAs. It might've been me, but it was very awkward--it felt like half-socializing, half-interview. Tough questions interspersed with banter. 6th was an interview with a principal Finally, I was greeted by an administrative assistant who quickly shuffled me out of the office

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had multiple deadlines and couldn't get all of the work done.   Answer Question