The Brattle Group Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Brattle Group

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Brattle Group.

I connected on LinkedIn and had a phone call with one director and got the referral from him. Then after 2 weeks, I got an interview email and arrange a Skype interview next week. The interview process is normal and not really hard. Basically just asking several behavior questions and go through my resume.

Interview Questions
  • What's your most quantitative experience? Why you choose your current school? Based on what? Research Skills? Leadership skills?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Brattle Group

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Brattle Group.

phone interview and then 2nd round in-office, DC. 6 interviews total for the day, 3 with younger people at the firm (including lunch with 2 RAs) and 2 with more senior people. The younger interviewers were extremely nice and personable but the old dudes were 1. pushing hard and being pretty rude, including interrupting me in the middle of answers and 2. uninterested. They scrutinize your transcript during interviews, which is something I feel like could have been done earlier, since we have to submit transcripts with our initial resume

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions on undergraduate research (know the methodology/interpretation of results REALLY well), Case isn't something you can prepare for   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Phone Interview. Questions mostly are based on straightforward questions regarding your background, previous research experiences. There are questions about teamwork, why I wanted to do consulting, why applied for company.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Brattle Group.

First Round Interview. Questions mostly are based on straightforward questions regarding your previous research project or work experiences. Also, there are questions about teamwork, both great teamwork and conflict situation.

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate yourself if you work on a project that you are not interested in?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

First round on-campus interview. I applied on the website but networked with a principal - probably this helped me to get the interview opportunity. The interview was not pleasant. The interviewers are pushing really hard.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2014.

On campus interview, typical interview questions, why Brattle, why economic consulting. you project experience and how you apply your quantitative skills. No difficult questions and no technical questions. Just show your passion for this position. Do research about economic consulting industry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2014.

Process took one month. First was an on-campus interview with an HR person and a research analyst. Standard behavioral questions aside, they asked in details about your research paper and how you deal with data. Second round happened around 2 weeks after. 6 interviews in total, including case interview and lunch with RAs. Lots of questions related to research paper and past internship experience, even at lunch interview. Heard back from them 2 weeks after.

Research Analyst Interview

First interview was done on campus. I was asked about my previous work experience as well as relevant coursework and projects I've worked on, why economic consulting, and why Brattle.

I was then invited to their Cambridge office for all day interviews. The interviews were pretty straight forward. Met with a research analyst, associate for a case interview, senior associate, principal, lunch with two research analysts, and another principal.

Besides with the associate, all the interviews were pretty similar. Each was thirty minutes long. I had to discuss my qualifications for the job - previous work experience, coursework and projects (make sure you know everything about your research projects from class), and why I am looking at economic consulting and Brattle. The interviews with the principals varied in difficulty with one being more difficult due to more complex questions about what my projects but also more hostility (due to either the guy's personality or maybe just tougher questions to see how I would react).

Lunch with the two research analysts was pretty relaxed, just lunchtime conversations. They ask some questions about your qualifications but allow for you to ask them about their experience at the firm and some of their background information as well. Less formal compared to the other interviews. Went out to a pretty nice restaurant. Took about an hour and a half.

The case portion was an hour long but not too difficult. There are some weird assumptions in the case I looked at that I hadn't considered so try to ask questions until they tell you that you can proceed.

Very nice office and nice people.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview was about deciding between what plant to open based on different costs and revenues of each plant, which are in different states.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2013.

Attended on-campus presentation. Selected for first round on-campus interview with a research analyst and senior associate. The interview lasted 30 minutes and was entirely fit. Contacted a couple of weeks later for a second round onsite interview. Interviewed with 5 employees ranging from research analyst to principal, plus a lunch interview with 2 research analysts. There was a one-hour case interview; the rest were all fit interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about your research (background, dataset, methodologies, results, assumptions, plans for further research... etc.) and answer technical questions about basic econometric/macroeconomic/microeconomic topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2013.

Overall pretty responsive when it comes to talking about the timeline. Did a pretty through job going through what the interview would be about and letting you meet people from many different parts of the company. A very academic setting, particularly when talking to the principles so it wasn't nearly as comfortable as other interviews I have had.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate, but got the sense that they weren't very flexible.