The Brattle Group Research Analyst Interview Questions

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Brattle Group

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2013.

Overall pretty responsive when it comes to talking about the timeline. Did a pretty through job going through what the interview would be about and letting you meet people from many different parts of the company. A very academic setting, particularly when talking to the principles so it wasn't nearly as comfortable as other interviews I have had.

Interview Questions
I didn't negotiate, but got the sense that they weren't very flexible.

Other Interview Reviews for The Brattle Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at The Brattle Group in January 2012.

Initial phone interview-- a lot of emphasis on projects.
    On-Campus interview-- met with 3 analysts, 2 principals, and an associate
    --Consisted of a one case, and then other behavioral questions
    --The basic premise of the case was time value of money
    --The behavioral questions were all normal ones. If you print out a list of "common behavioral questions," and have your answers memorized, you'll be prepared.

Research Analyst Interview

First interview was done on campus. I was asked about my previous work experience as well as relevant coursework and projects I've worked on, why economic consulting, and why Brattle.

I was then invited to their Cambridge office for all day interviews. The interviews were pretty straight forward. Met with a research analyst, associate for a case interview, senior associate, principal, lunch with two research analysts, and another principal.

Besides with the associate, all the interviews were pretty similar. Each was thirty minutes long. I had to discuss my qualifications for the job - previous work experience, coursework and projects (make sure you know everything about your research projects from class), and why I am looking at economic consulting and Brattle. The interviews with the principals varied in difficulty with one being more difficult due to more complex questions about what my projects but also more hostility (due to either the guy's personality or maybe just tougher questions to see how I would react).

Lunch with the two research analysts was pretty relaxed, just lunchtime conversations. They ask some questions about your qualifications but allow for you to ask them about their experience at the firm and some of their background information as well. Less formal compared to the other interviews. Went out to a pretty nice restaurant. Took about an hour and a half.

The case portion was an hour long but not too difficult. There are some weird assumptions in the case I looked at that I hadn't considered so try to ask questions until they tell you that you can proceed.

Very nice office and nice people.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview was about deciding between what plant to open based on different costs and revenues of each plant, which are in different states.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2013.

Attended on-campus presentation. Selected for first round on-campus interview with a research analyst and senior associate. The interview lasted 30 minutes and was entirely fit. Contacted a couple of weeks later for a second round onsite interview. Interviewed with 5 employees ranging from research analyst to principal, plus a lunch interview with 2 research analysts. There was a one-hour case interview; the rest were all fit interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about your research (background, dataset, methodologies, results, assumptions, plans for further research... etc.) and answer technical questions about basic econometric/macroeconomic/microeconomic topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Brattle Group in September 2013.

I was interviewed on campus by a senior associate who didn't seem that interested in the recruitment process. The interviewer asked about previous internship experience, behavioral questions, and why Brattle. Interest in the energy sector will help. The more you can say about any research or quantitative projects, the more you'll have to talk about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Brattle Group in June 2013.

Final Round: On site interview. Research Analyst, Associate, Case Study (by Associate), Principal, Principal, Lunch (with two Research Analysts).
    General questions: Background, Why Brattle, Future Plans.
    Very detailed questions about my research projects/thesis - you must review your projects before the interview.
    Case study: Large word problem but with mostly quantitative questions (compare profits of two companies, what happens if we add tax etc), marginal/average cost curves, explain regression output.
    Lunch: It is half lunch/half interview but pretty relaxed, nothing to worry about.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my research projects, not only what I had done but also why I had done it this way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Brattle Group in June 2013.

Interview was for about 5 hours and consisted of half-hour chunks:

1st was with another research analyst (RA) who sort of acclimated me to the office
    2nd was with an associate
    3rd was an hour-long case exercise, very similar to a management consulting case exercise. Emphasis was on intuitive quantitative problem solving. My question was something like, "Richard Branson wants to open a factory and sell children's snack food. Should he open an orange plant in FL or an apple one in DC?"
    4th was another interview with an associate.
    5th was an hour-and-a-half long lunch with two RAs. It might've been me, but it was very awkward--it felt like half-socializing, half-interview. Tough questions interspersed with banter.
    6th was an interview with a principal
    Finally, I was greeted by an administrative assistant who quickly shuffled me out of the office

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had multiple deadlines and couldn't get all of the work done.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Brattle Group.

1) Phone Interview
    2) Full day interview including case interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Brattle Group in December 2011.

First round - HR rep calls. Takes about an hour. Mostly trying to figure out if you would be a good fit for the position, asks about teamwork, quant skills, programming and research experience.

Final round - Brattle paid for me to come in to Cambridge and put me up at a hotel overnight, a few blocks from the company. Met with five people - an analyst, two principals, associate and senior associate (or something like that). One interview is case, which consists of a longer word problem, a few econ questions, looking at some regression output. Nothing too tricky but you should be familiar with intermediate level econ concepts.

Didn't get an offer, I was told it was because of fit, which I believe because I got an offer at a competitor. Really nice and smart people, impressive company overall but smaller than most so the hiring process may be a little more idiosyncratic.

Interview Questions
    • Case consisted of looking at cost curves, discussing possible issues with pollution in a town, some questions about elasticities, net present values, standard errors, errors in spreadsheets. Pretty informal and not intensely difficult, but I guess it depends on how much econ theory and math you know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at The Brattle Group in October 2011.

This is a first round phone interview, and the questions are mostly fit and behavioral. The employer is interested in your undergraduate research experience (data analysis) and teamwork experience.

Interview Questions

Worked for The Brattle Group? Contribute to the Community!