The Bridgespan Group

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at The Bridgespan Group

Interview Details – First round phone interview was two one hour cases. The interviewers were quite nice and professional but not much behavioral questions - they moved quickly into the cases. Overall, I really appreciated the professionalism but tough to find good practice cases. They have one or two on their website, which are helpful but not enough. Traditional cases are different enough to where they can only go so far.

Interview Question – Two cases were not extremely difficult individually (no difficult math or market sizing) but it was a steady stream of "how would you go about finding/prioritizing this or that"   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – Initial 2 phone interviews, both cases, with a few additional resume questions. The cases were surprisingly simplistic - I had figured the example case on their website was a simplified version, but in fact all of their cases are extremely simple.

Of course, knowing the detail of a case is not necessarily helpful, but here were some: A case involving a foundation with very ambitious goals seeking advice on how to expand into a national campaign. A second case involving a company (essentially) wikipedia planning which countries to expand into. Language cross-overs between countries was a factor in the decision.

Overall, the cases force you to try not to think or actively engage in the question as if it were a real question (the real complexity and externalities of the questions are far more interesting than the story they are trying to walk you through). Instead, demonstrate that you can listen carefully and catch the "hint(s)" that the interview drops as part of the choose-your-own-adventure business story. Also, your demeanor with the interviewer is assessed in terms of your ability to listen, frame a sensible response that sounds confident, etc...

In both cases, the math was absurdly simple and easy.

As others have mentioned, they call you to talk you through rejecting your application, which necessarily involves an awkward conversation that they don't really want to be having anyway. I guess they're trying to prove that they're a nice company, but it's basically just patronizing.

Interview Question – One case ended with a question related to confronting a CEO who didn't take recommendation and how to respond to that. I'm pretty sure I bombed this and that the ideal response related in some way to a hint that I missed in the case.   Answer Question

Interviewed at The Bridgespan Group

Interview Details – The interview process was rigorous, but not unmanageable. If one advances beyond the resume and cover letter screening, which is by far the most difficult component, the company is willing to provide substantial support to ensure the candidate is as prepared for the interview as possible; they want to make sure they’re evaluating you at your best.

Interview Question – All of the questions they ask are somewhat difficult; none were unexpected.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group.

Interview Details – TBG recruits at elite universities, and I went through the recruiting process - similar to for-profit firms, but they do two rounds of interviews after an initial resume screening: first was over the phone, second in-person. They do a combination of case interviews which are very similar to the kind you would see at McK or BCG - only that you also think about social impact - and also fit interviews about your passion for the nonprofit sector. From what I could tell and have heard from friends, it's a great firm with great culture. Everyone was extremely friendly and committed.

Interview Question – What is the impact that X organization has toward its mission?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Went back to school.

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Associate analyst position at bridgespan.I had to write and essay as well as include my resume to complete an initial application for the position. I received a call to schedule and interview and was interviewed the next week. The interview consisted of two back to back interviews, 45 mins each. For each interview the first 10-15 mins were on my background and reason for wanting to join the firm while the remaining minutes were case study questions

Interview Question – Analyze the profits of a particular non profit, how much are they able to raise, what are your recommendations   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – First interview: Case interview given over the phone. Straightforward case with simple quantitative elements. Focus on integration of qualitative setup and quantitative evidence to drive conclusions.

Second (final) interview: Three in-person interviews. 2 Case, 1 "fit". One case was straightforward consulting case. Second case was more free-form. Don't be thrown off by free-form - stick to consulting rigor and organization. Overall vibe was friendly and relaxed but don't get too relaxed. Remember that they almost all come from for-profit consulting backgrounds and are looking for polish. Stay sharp.

Interview went very well but I did not get an offer in the end. Competition is very high.

Interview Question – Fit question about your background.   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was broken up into two 40 minute sessions, consisting of a ten minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute case interview. The interviewers were encouraging and friendly, although they seemed a little bit bored during parts of the interview.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict between two parties.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group in December 2010.

Interview Details – Case-style interview x 2. Back to back - both senior-level employees. Study case!!! Not much time for behavioral questions. It seems that they use case to weed out applicants. Math portion was reasonable, but they do test for a strong gasp of strategic frameworks.

Interview Questions

• Market entry for a foundation that uses network effects to spread its mission.   Answer Question
  • Expansion strategy for human-capital NGO that partners with underperforming grade schools in order to improve learning quality and graduation rate.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online with a cover letter and resume. I had a prep interview with one of the Consultants. Then two phone interviews with Consultants. I had some behavorial questions and then a case question.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself? Why Bridgespan?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Bridgespan Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – I received two back-to-back interviews over the phone. Each consisted of two fit questions and a case. My interviewers were very helpful throughout the cases. The fit questions were challenging and vague - it was difficult to come up on the spot with thoughtful responses. I thought I flubbed both interviews, but was surprised to learn I would be receiving an in-person interview.

At the in-person interview, I interviewed with three people. Two were case interviews, one was a fit interview. My case interviewers were great, offering clear questions and good feedback. My fit interviewer was fairly skeptical and difficult to read.

Interview Question – Give us an example of a time when you did not get along with a superior.   Answer Question

Worked for The Bridgespan Group? Contribute to the Community!