The Broad Institute Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015
Updated Mar 14, 2015

3.3

Associate Computational Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at The Broad Institute.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter a week or two after I applied. He wanted me to take a 3-hour programming test. Once this was complete the recruited said we could continue with the process and wanted to schedule a phone conversation to talk about the position and set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview itself lasted about an hour and was used to discuss the position/team, my programming results, my experience/resume, and ask questions. About a week after the interview I received feedback that I wasn't right for the job. Everyone was very friendly and the work environment/set-up seemed really great.

Interview Questions

• Questions covered involved genomics, probability, and computer science. They were general questions, nothing too difficult or out there. The computer science questions were concerned with sorting and complexity.   Answer Question

Research Associate II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Broad Institute in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty relaxed, but packed with meetings - 9 people throughout a 4 or 5 hour period. Lunch was provided and allowed time to converse with peers that are acting in similar roles. I arrived in a suit, but most of the interviewers were wearing more business casual clothing. Interviewers allowed a healthy amount of time to listen to my questions, and were very emphatic about the culture at this company.

Research Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Broad Institute (Secaucus, NJ).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to set up interview with a hiring manager. Hiring manager was a PhD scientist. Interview lasted roughly 30 minutes. Interviewer was friendly, easy to talk to.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Codility test followed by a day long interview in a panel format with very friendly people in general. Lunch was included.

Interview Questions

• One of the programming/algorithms question was stressful. There weren't really any tricky questions.   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Broad Institute.

Interview

Hiring process varies from research group to research group. Initial contact is made through HR, so it would be hard to describe an exact process.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Research Associate II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in September 2013.

Interview

Had 8 different interviews, this is based on the group leaders of each platform.

Interview Questions

• It was a pleasant conversation on my previous experience and how it could it could fit the companies future endeavors.   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in August 2013.

Interview

I applied through linkedin and I got an email from HR that I should complete an online test which I did. Then I spoke with the HR on the phone the following day and then I got a call from the team lead for the position I was applying for. That phone interview was about the online test and about my phd thesis and a few other general technical questions. One this was done HR sent me an email and set up an on-site interview for me and I flew to Boston and stayed at a hotel which they paid for overnight. The next day I met with almost 12 people and the interview took about 5 hours. They also served lunch. The questions ranged from low level programming questions to high level algorithm questions. The people were extremely nice and respectful and compared to most other places I was completely impressed by their level of professionalism and friendliness. Having worked in a completely unrelated area I did not do too well in the questions but I did overall enjoy the experience.

Interview Questions

• many questions about DNA matching and statistical inference and about computational complexity of different algorithms. You have to know your core computer science to answer them.   Answer Question

Computational/Bioinformatics Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Broad Institute in February 2013.

Interview

applied online. was contacted 2 months later and asked to complete a skills test (all programming). After completion, was invited to on-site interview. For the interview, there were 3 groups of 2 interviewees each who rotated.

Interview Questions

• Open ended question as to how you would approach a specific problem. there is no set correct answer   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in January 2013.

Interview

I answered to an advert in their website career section. First was a programming skill test using a on-line assessment tool. After passing I had a phone interview with a member of the team hiring to comment on the results of the test (I guess to evaluate my skills better and make sure I was the one that made it) and explain a bit about how the group works.

I was invited for a on-site interview that lasted one day, plane ticket and hotel was paid for. The interview set lasted for around 4 hours. Answered question by various interviewing panels and some other discussions with hiring manager and HR personnel.

The interview was quite interesting, you get to meet nearly everybody in the team and they make very stimulating questions. The most important is to find out whether you can work together well in a collaborative manner rather than showing that you are really smart.

So.... I liked them, they like me and from that point on was just bureaucracy and paper work.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember the details but there was some maths/ stats question that cost me a bit of time to grasp but it is more about keep calm and communicative rather than be able to give the right answer straight away.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told them how much compensation I wanted and they came back with an offer trying to much it up based on what they thing it should be. It wasn't far off from my demands and I accepted.

Research Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

Interview was a full day, 9am until 5pm, meeting with most members of the team. Everyone was friendly, but clearly intense about their work. Most questions were about my past work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation attempted