The Buckle Interview Questions in Grand Rapids, MI

Updated Nov 23, 2014

Sales & Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Buckle.

Spoke with a Buckle Representative at a college career fair. She was very friendly and when I asked about Follow-Up she told me I could sign up for an interview time. I went to the interview a week later. The dress was "your style", not the usual business formal you would think of for an interview. It was in the back storage room of one of their stores with two managers from different Buckle locations. They were really friendly and casual. We had about a twenty minute conversation and they said they would get back to me in 48 hours. They didn't get back to me until a day or two past that mark. I am interested in management and not really sales or retail. Although we had a nice conversation, it was pretty apparent during the interview that it probably wasn't a good fit for either of us.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Asked about my work history. How I handle stressful situations.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Buckle in December 2013.

Applied online after being referred by a current employee. Took the personality test, passed, and got the standard "call for an interview time" email. Came in for the interview the following week. It was very casual, held at the back of the store with a male and female assistant manager who were my age (young 20's). They seemed like they didn't really know what to ask, but I presented myself confidently regardless. Answered all the questions and provided some of my own. They told me they would contact me by email "within a week" to let me know "the next steps". I assumed this meant I was going to be totally disregarded as an applicant, but I came and read other people's experiences on here and I guess it's not that abnormal. Since I was interviewed a few days before the Christmas holiday, it took much, much longer than a week for them to get back to me, and I think they would have completely forgotten about me had I not called two times. The first time was a week and a half after the initial interview. I talked to the assistant manager who told me they hadn't spoken with their general manager, and that I would "hear back within 72 hours". Annoying, but fine. Whatever. Well, 72 hours is up, still not a single word. I decide to call back one last time, totally fed up. They feed me the same "72 hours" line, although this time I did actually hear back, on the 72nd hour of their timeline. The general manager called me to come back in for a second interview...a week later. This is getting to be a bit ridiculous, but I really, really need a job, so I agree to it. I just finished that second interview today, which was much more intensive, although still held at the back of the store somewhat awkwardly, with associates looking me up and down and customers trying to push past us. Nothing incredibly challenging, just a lot of oddly probing questions about your high school life, even if you graduated several years ago. It seems like they want someone who is involved in a LOT of activities and doesn't have plans for their future (i.e. college=better job=you will leave them). They want people who want a career with them.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you handle working in an environment with 80% female coworkers?" "Why do you want to work a the Buckle specifically?"   View Answer

FREIGHT COORDINATOR Interview

Anonymous Employee in KenTownshipood, MI
    Anonymous Employee in KenTownshipood, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Buckle in November 2010.

I applied online and got an email later in the day asking me to call a number to set up and interview. I went to the interview on time and the manager was on his lunch so I had to wander around the store for a bit. He finally showed up, got some paperwork from the computer and proceeded to start the interview. We went to the back of the store and he explained that it was a "mobile interview" and if a customer should come to the back we would just move around so they could shop. It went nowhere from here as he informed me that the position was for one person and they already had a person doing it. Apparently the online job postings were wrong or something. We talked about my experience briefly, and he said maybe in the future the position would be open and to try applying if I see it posted again. It wasn't so much an interview as a demonstration of the failure of a company's poor hiring procedures.