The Buckle

Average Difficulty
252 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Montgomery, AL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Buckle in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through their website and was contacted the very next day for an interview. When I arrived (10 minutes early) there were 2 other girls there but it was not a group interview.

The manager was very laid-back and funny and you can tell that she was trying to make the interview go as smoothly as possible. The interview process was about 20 minutes long and it was scorching outside, thankfully I didn't wear any face make-up.

Before my interview, there was a girl there waiting on her second interview. The guy at the cash register had said that on your second interview, if you get one, if you're not invited back into the store, you did not get the job. While it was my turn next, I was myself and answered honestly, not just telling her what she wanted to hear. After the Interview she had asked me to come in the next week for a second interview.

On my second interview which lasted about 10 minutes, she told me about company policies such as dress code, sales, and working on commission (yes you do work on commission in addition to having a regular paycheck) she made a note to say that if you are not doing well making sales, your hours will be cut. It wasn't a big deal to me because I have experience in sales, but I never had or heard of anyone getting their hours cut before that. After that, she told me she really wanted me to become part of the staff.

I told her I would think about it because after she told me about a long list of "Don'ts" in the company policy, I wasn't so sure I wanted to work their anymore.
First, the dress code. You HAVE to wear 3 shirts, pants, accessories, and shoes from The Buckle. If you're not familiar with their prices, think of it as an American Eagle, but much more over-priced. They give you 30 days to buy their clothes and wear them. Money is not an issue, but at the same time, I will not spend half my paycheck buying $80 jeans and $28 a piece for 3 different shirts. - out the question.

Second, they DO fire you (at least at this Buckle) if you are not bringing in the sales which sometimes can be hard to get.

I called back letting her know that I was grateful for the experience and the offer, but I would have to decline.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Buckle?   View Answer
  • Describe the fashion of Buckle and how do you fit?   View Answer
  • Name a time you dealt with Loss Prevention. How did you deal with it?   View Answer
  • What makes you stand out from any other person wanting this job?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Policies were beyond strict and the pay was much lower than expected.

Sales Teammate Interview

Sales Teammate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Buckle.

Interview Details – The process took about two days so far. Went into the mall to ask about possible summer positions, they told me to go online, then call after I finished. I called right after, and they set me up for an interview the next day. I get there, and it only took about 20 minutes. I was asked to browse for a bit, which was good for me because I never really payed attention to the store before. I figured it was more casual than normal, which helped my mentality a bit (I have a lip stud and wore my paracord bracelet, khaki pants and a casual button up, the manager seemed to dig it.) The questions were easy and mostly looking for your attitude rather than a right or wrong. I notice a lot of reviews here talk about a need to look the part, and as an overweight male, I don't, but still got a second interview set up for next Tuesday, so I'll ave both done in the span of 5 days which is nice.

Interview Question – Honestly, most unexpected was "Do you have any questions for me?" Never been asked that before.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
Augusta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Buckle.

Interview Details – I was actually offered the job before I applied online. There was an employee that had me talk to the store manager. Talked to him and was offered the job but I was still asked to apply online

Interview Question – Asked me about what I've done in the past with difficult customers - wanted examples   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate because what I was offered was lower than what I was making before. The store manager then told me I would average more commission with Buckle then my other employer (which is a lie)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Teammate Interview

Sales Teammate
Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Buckle in January 2010.

Interview Details – Signed up on sheet for in-store recruiting as I was walking store to store to see if any employer was hiring, The Buckle was. I received a call back for an interview. I interviewed with the store manager standing in the back corner of the store as she jotted down notes.

Interview Question – The most unexpected questions was about my personal style and habits.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The manager called to offer a position. She described the low base pay and commission bonuses. I was not thrilled with the pay, but I needed a job and was willing to learn something new.

Fayetteville, AR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Buckle in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email around an hour later saying to call the store and set up an interview. I did so and my interview was the next day. I had my interview with the store manager who was in his 20's (as am I) and it went well. I could tell that this would be a little bit of an unprofessional atmosphere, but I really needed the money so when he offered me the job at the end of the interview, I accepted. I had my first day of work/training a few days later. At that point, I knew this job wasn't for me. I have worked in retail before, and this wasn't ever a problem for me. I felt that the management and the other sales associates working there were too unprofessional. The store manager was pompous, judgmental, and overall a rude person. I quit a few days later.

Interview Question – Basic questions. None of them were difficult. Some tips- wear Buckle! Their jeans are their most important sale item. Wear any brand of jean that they carry in the store and that will be a major plus. Know some of the brands they carry beforehand- just be educated about the company and show general interest in the types of styles they carry.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You get a base which is below minimum wage, and then a commission on your sales.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Buckle in May 2014.

Interview Details – I sent in my application online was was emailed back for an interview later that night. I met with the manager who was very nice, complimenting my skills and outfit the entire time. She said she would call me back on that Friday. It was been more than 3 weeks and still no call. A little disappointed, since the interview went so well and she gave me her word.

Interview Question – Not anything too difficult. Regular things, like tell me about your last job, what do you do at school, etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate (Part -Time) Interview

Sales Associate (Part -Time)
Mobile, AL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Buckle in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email 5 minutes after my submission asking me to call and schedule an appointment to be interviewed. I called immediately and agreed upon meeting the next day. The email instructed me to be no more than 5 minutes early and I came in at 5 minutes early on the dot.
I did not own any clothes from Buckle so, I tried to re-create the style the best of my ability for the interview.

When I entered the store, the woman at the front asked me if I was there for the interview then the manager asked me to look around the store and thanked me for being on time. I walked around for maybe 5 minutes and the manager finally called out to me "I'm waiting on you." She asked me to come to a small , cramped corner of the store and explained to me that my interview would be 5-7 minutes long. She asked my opinion on fashion and why I chose to apply at Buckle then, asked me about the high school clubs I was involved in, why I chose my college major and what I did at my other job.
 I felt like the interview was decent and she told me that she would email me and I knew then that I didn't get the job. I wasn't asked much at all, maybe it was because I didn't own any Buckle clothing?

Interview Question – What experience from your other job/jobs makes you qualified for Buckle?   Answer Question

Flint, MI

Interview Details – So I show up to the store and the staff were looking at my strangely and I tell one of the associates that I had interview. She gives me a dirty look and chuckles and told me to walk around and look at stuff and that the interviewer would see me in a few. I walk around awkwardly for about 20 min... One of the associates looks at me and tells me she liked my outfit in a snotty, stuck up attitude. It's like really? Your outfit is hideous. The girl comes out and asks me if I was who she was interviewing and I told her yes, and she said in a very condescending way, oh I figured while judging my outfit, as she's wearing an ugly oversized poop green sweater with a black maxi skirt. So right off the bat, I could tell she already made her decision about me. She asked me questions and kept rolling her eyes and being condescending the whole time. Told me this was a personality test and IF I pass aka if she liked me I would get a second interview. I felt uncomfortable and awkward. She thanked me and gave me a dirty looked. Talking down on me... Yeah... You're a manager at a retail store. You're not that cool. She was very rude and unprofessional. I'm not the prettiest or skinniest girl ever, but she should've at lease treated me like a human being.

Interview Question – What are your plans after school.... What do you plan on doing with your schooling.   View Answer

Sales Associate (Part -Time Interview

Sales Associate (Part -Time
Joliet, IL

Interview Details – I applied online, and got the generic emailing saying to call and schedule an interview time. So the next day I did just that. I went in and waited around and looked because the manager was not ready. It was a really easy going interview, I thought I did really well, but apparently not because I did not get a call back (like he said I would). But I was fine with it because 1. I'm not a fan of their style of clothing and 2. the pay is not good.

Interview Question – Nothing, everything was straight forward and to the point.   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Buckle.

Interview Details – The interview process takes place with the Store Manager first and then it will take place with the District or Area Manager depending on what position you are applying for. All interviews take place on the sales floor and usually take between 5 to 10 minutes. After the interview is over, they will either immediately offer you a position, or they will tell you that you will receive an email. Nine times out of ten, an email means you were not selected for the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to influence or impact a team. What were the results??   Answer Question
  • Do you consider yourself an assertive person? Tell me about a time where you had to be assertive and it paid off.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was really no negotiating with them. Everyone is put on a base rate + commission unless you are a Manager in Training and only depending on the volume of your store may you be offered an hourly rate.