The Buckle

Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

I was emailed the same day that I applied asking me to call in and schedule an interview. I was scheduled a few days later and was totally excited about it. I got in their 5 minutes early and was told to browse the store and wait a few minutes. A couple minutes later, the manager came out and ran me through how the interviews usually go. She then told me that the position I applied for wasn't available but, they had a freight position that they'd called me about; I received no other calls. Overall, the interview barely lasted 10 minutes. A couple days later, I was called by a employee at the store to come in for an interview. I accepted and scheduled myself to come in a day later without knowing exactly why I was coming in again. I, again, got into the store 5 minutes before I was asked. I went to the registers and a group of female employees were standing, chatting and giggling, not particularly helping the customers walking in. When I walked up to the first employee, I told why I was there and was met with a confused stare. She had obviously forgotten who I was and why I was there. I repeated my name and was told to browse the store while I waited. A few minutes later, a different employee told me I was going to have a second interview. While the employee was running me through what she was going to do, the group of girls she was previously standing with were laughing and focusing on my interview, not their work. While I was doing my interview, the interviewer was paying more attention to her friends than she was to me, even laughing at what her friends were doing while I was giving my answer. At the end, I was told that they would get back to me if they found me suitable. I hoped that that second, more disappointing interview wouldn't be in vain but, not even a day later, I was emailed a very short and impersonal email telling me that I 'did not get a job' and that I wasn't to reply to the email. The entire experience was unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable working in a fast-paced environment?   Answer Question
    • Name one situation where you had to work as a part of a team to achieve a goal.   Answer Question

FREIGHT COORDINATOR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

I submitted an application online and received an automated email response five minutes later that said: "We received your employment application and would like to schedule an interview with you. Please call the store to schedule an interview time."

The interview was set for the next day. The store manager was already in an interview when I got there so they had me wait. Two sales associates proceeded to sell me pants even when they both knew I was there for an interview.

The manager came over after he was finished with the other interview in a rushed manner and ran through a list of questions from his "Buckle Binder". He was rude and frantic in his questioning--asking about my education several times even though it clearly said on my application and me telling him twice. Clearly a ploy to figure out how old I was.

All in all the manager was very rude, unprofessional, and not very personable at all. After he first opened his mouth I realized this would be an awful place to work.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Buckle.

Application is done online, and within hours I got a email to call and schedule an interview. I called the next day and scheduled my interview for the following day. Interview went well, only downside was having to wait 15-20 mins for the interview to start, but the store was understandably busy. Interview went well, and we scheduled my next interview immediately for two days later. The second interview was more in depth about why I chose buckle, versus the first interview, which was more of a "getting to know you and your qualifications" situation. Manager was very honest in his perceptions of me.

Interview Questions
    • "What methods do you utilize to follow fashion trends?"   Answer Question
    Talked about commission versus non-commission options to suite needs.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Buckle.

I did an online application and received an email that same day to call and set up an interview. Scheduled for the same week. I interview was done at the back of the store just like everyone said. Very laid back. There happened to be a lot of people interviewing that week and the manager was turned off ft the fact that I was just looking for a summer job.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Buckle.

I met an area manager at a job fair and after some casual conversation, he invited me to interview. I was looking for an internship at the time. I interviewed in-person with the area manger. It was a casual conversation about what motivated me, my interests, etc... I felt like I was being evaluated for my demeanor and communication abilities rather than being good at sales or customer service. I was then asked to take a type of personality test which was required in order for someone to be hired - which I apparently failed. I ended up speaking to the area manager directly and argued my case that personality or ability to be a good employee couldn't be dictated by a multiple-choice test. Once hired, the on-boarding process was simple.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a difficult question, I was asked about myself, my experiences...I wasn't being grilled about sales, previous skills, etc..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Buckle in July 2014.

I applied online and it took them nearly a month to set up an interview for me. I arrived there fifteen minutes early and was told to look around while they printed out my application. At the interview i felt like they were judging me more based on how I looked and was dressed than my actual experience. The whole interview lasted no more than 10 minutes. I was told I would receive an email telling me whether or not i would be offered the job but I do not expect the email after the two days that have passed.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if my high school friends would consider me trendy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Buckle.

I applied online and within the next day I got an email saying to call the store and set up an interview. I set up the interview and when I went in, the interview was standing up and right next to a changing room which I thought was weird.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about my schooling and about my leadership skills and how I could bring those to Buckle.   Answer Question

Sales Teammate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Buckle.

The process took about two days so far. Went into the mall to ask about possible summer positions, they told me to go online, then call after I finished. I called right after, and they set me up for an interview the next day. I get there, and it only took about 20 minutes. I was asked to browse for a bit, which was good for me because I never really payed attention to the store before. I figured it was more casual than normal, which helped my mentality a bit (I have a lip stud and wore my paracord bracelet, khaki pants and a casual button up, the manager seemed to dig it.) The questions were easy and mostly looking for your attitude rather than a right or wrong. I notice a lot of reviews here talk about a need to look the part, and as an overweight male, I don't, but still got a second interview set up for next Tuesday, so I'll ave both done in the span of 5 days which is nice.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, most unexpected was "Do you have any questions for me?" Never been asked that before.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Buckle.

I was actually offered the job before I applied online. There was an employee that had me talk to the store manager. Talked to him and was offered the job but I was still asked to apply online

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about what I've done in the past with difficult customers - wanted examples   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate because what I was offered was lower than what I was making before. The store manager then told me I would average more commission with Buckle then my other employer (which is a lie)

Manager In Training Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Buckle.

The interview process takes place with the Store Manager first and then it will take place with the District or Area Manager depending on what position you are applying for. All interviews take place on the sales floor and usually take between 5 to 10 minutes. After the interview is over, they will either immediately offer you a position, or they will tell you that you will receive an email. Nine times out of ten, an email means you were not selected for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to influence or impact a team. What were the results??   Answer Question
    • Do you consider yourself an assertive person? Tell me about a time where you had to be assertive and it paid off.   Answer Question
    There was really no negotiating with them. Everyone is put on a base rate + commission unless you are a Manager in Training and only depending on the volume of your store may you be offered an hourly rate.