The Buckle

2.3

Part-Time Sales Teammate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange Park, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange Park, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

A close acquaintance who worked there referred me to openings in the store. I applied online, it took me a few days to finish, (I was on and off about it) but the day i submitted the application, I received an automatic email a few minutes later, telling me to call the number and schedule an interview, (and additional information). I called and spoke to the manager. We scheduled to meet up the very next day at 2:00 pm, and I thanked him and told him I was looking forward to it.

I arrived to the interview 10 minutes early. I introduced myself to an employee, then asked to speak to the Manager. She walked me over to him, I thanked her, and proceeded to introduce myself to the Manager. I told him I had an interview with him, and he told me to wait a couple minutes while he printed out my application. I took the time to introduce myself to the Assistant-Manager as well, who was standing near-by. They all seemed very nice and welcoming. After about 5 minutes he walked back out and told me to follow him towards the back-corner of the store. (Interviews are held, on sales floor.) He asked me to tell me about myself (I went over my college life, past work/volunteer experience, my hobbies/past-times, etc.) Then he asked me a few things along the lines of, "Why do you want to work at Buckle?" "What interests you in fashion?" "How do you keep up with fashion?" "What are your strengths/weaknesses?" etc. Afterwards, he asked me, if I had any questions for him. I took the opportunity to ask "how a typical day at Buckle looked like." He responded with enthusiasm and in great detail, explained his love for building values, relationships and character into his employees. This let me know that he took his job seriously. I could tell he would be a fun, laid back boss, but at the same time, a serious, business orientated, "get the work done" type of guy. An equal balance of the two.

After that, he said that I would receive a phone call within 48 hours. So the duration of the interview was about 10-15 minutes. I got a call the very next day. He offered the job opportunity to me, and asked when I could stop by to get additional information, in preparation. I told him that I would be available to come by in an hour and a half. From there, he explained a few more things, (including an upcoming team meeting that I should attend) and emailed me some online paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you think you can improve on about yourself?   View Answer
    Advice I can give others is to dress fashionably (a given, but don't try too hard) smile and show high energy and just be yourself. Also make sure you show an interest in the store. Point out what you like about it, and also what you've learned about it.

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

Shallow shallow and more shallow. This store hires pigs of men but the women have to fit unrealistic standards and if you don't, you're immediately disqualified in their minds no matter what your qualifications are. Interview is held unprofessionally towards the back of the sales floor and the hiring managers have this egotistical aura and openly judge you as well as patronizingly smirk or laugh as and when they please.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK
    Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

Interviewing process was exciting and went extremely smooth. Unfortunately for such a high end mall store the pay was disappointing. I was offered the job but ended up turning down

Interview Questions

We were too far apart on salary

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

Applied online, emailed within 2 hours saying I should call to schedule an interview. Interviewed next day. Thought I was connecting really well with the manager but was emailed a week later saying I wasn't selected. Very disappointed because I'd already met several people in the store after modeling for them in a fashion show and I was looking forward to having them as coworkers.

Sales Teammate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

I was emailed the same day that I applied asking me to call in and schedule an interview. I was scheduled a few days later and was totally excited about it. I got in their 5 minutes early and was told to browse the store and wait a few minutes. A couple minutes later, the manager came out and ran me through how the interviews usually go. She then told me that the position I applied for wasn't available but, they had a freight position that they'd called me about; I received no other calls. Overall, the interview barely lasted 10 minutes. A couple days later, I was called by a employee at the store to come in for an interview. I accepted and scheduled myself to come in a day later without knowing exactly why I was coming in again. I, again, got into the store 5 minutes before I was asked. I went to the registers and a group of female employees were standing, chatting and giggling, not particularly helping the customers walking in. When I walked up to the first employee, I told why I was there and was met with a confused stare. She had obviously forgotten who I was and why I was there. I repeated my name and was told to browse the store while I waited. A few minutes later, a different employee told me I was going to have a second interview. While the employee was running me through what she was going to do, the group of girls she was previously standing with were laughing and focusing on my interview, not their work. While I was doing my interview, the interviewer was paying more attention to her friends than she was to me, even laughing at what her friends were doing while I was giving my answer. At the end, I was told that they would get back to me if they found me suitable. I hoped that that second, more disappointing interview wouldn't be in vain but, not even a day later, I was emailed a very short and impersonal email telling me that I 'did not get a job' and that I wasn't to reply to the email. The entire experience was unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable working in a fast-paced environment?   Answer Question
    • Name one situation where you had to work as a part of a team to achieve a goal.   Answer Question

FREIGHT COORDINATOR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Buckle in August 2014.

I submitted an application online and received an automated email response five minutes later that said: "We received your employment application and would like to schedule an interview with you. Please call the store to schedule an interview time."

The interview was set for the next day. The store manager was already in an interview when I got there so they had me wait. Two sales associates proceeded to sell me pants even when they both knew I was there for an interview.

The manager came over after he was finished with the other interview in a rushed manner and ran through a list of questions from his "Buckle Binder". He was rude and frantic in his questioning--asking about my education several times even though it clearly said on my application and me telling him twice. Clearly a ploy to figure out how old I was.

All in all the manager was very rude, unprofessional, and not very personable at all. After he first opened his mouth I realized this would be an awful place to work.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Buckle.

Application is done online, and within hours I got a email to call and schedule an interview. I called the next day and scheduled my interview for the following day. Interview went well, only downside was having to wait 15-20 mins for the interview to start, but the store was understandably busy. Interview went well, and we scheduled my next interview immediately for two days later. The second interview was more in depth about why I chose buckle, versus the first interview, which was more of a "getting to know you and your qualifications" situation. Manager was very honest in his perceptions of me.

Interview Questions
    • "What methods do you utilize to follow fashion trends?"   Answer Question
    Talked about commission versus non-commission options to suite needs.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Buckle.

I did an online application and received an email that same day to call and set up an interview. Scheduled for the same week. I interview was done at the back of the store just like everyone said. Very laid back. There happened to be a lot of people interviewing that week and the manager was turned off ft the fact that I was just looking for a summer job.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Buckle.

I met an area manager at a job fair and after some casual conversation, he invited me to interview. I was looking for an internship at the time. I interviewed in-person with the area manger. It was a casual conversation about what motivated me, my interests, etc... I felt like I was being evaluated for my demeanor and communication abilities rather than being good at sales or customer service. I was then asked to take a type of personality test which was required in order for someone to be hired - which I apparently failed. I ended up speaking to the area manager directly and argued my case that personality or ability to be a good employee couldn't be dictated by a multiple-choice test. Once hired, the on-boarding process was simple.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a difficult question, I was asked about myself, my experiences...I wasn't being grilled about sales, previous skills, etc..   Answer Question

Sales Teammate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM
    Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Buckle in July 2014.

I applied online and it took them nearly a month to set up an interview for me. I arrived there fifteen minutes early and was told to look around while they printed out my application. At the interview i felt like they were judging me more based on how I looked and was dressed than my actual experience. The whole interview lasted no more than 10 minutes. I was told I would receive an email telling me whether or not i would be offered the job but I do not expect the email after the two days that have passed.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if my high school friends would consider me trendy.   Answer Question