The Buckle

Average Difficulty
121 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Buckle.

Interview Details – I did an online application and received an email that same day to call and set up an interview. Scheduled for the same week. I interview was done at the back of the store just like everyone said. Very laid back. There happened to be a lot of people interviewing that week and the manager was turned off ft the fact that I was just looking for a summer job.

Interview Question – What do you know about the company   Answer Question

Jackson, MI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Buckle in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews, the first was the real one and the second is where you will most likely be hired. The interview was generic questions. Ex. "What do you like about the Buckle?"

Interview Question – They were all pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I probably could ave negotiated better.

Montgomery, AL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Buckle in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through their website and was contacted the very next day for an interview. When I arrived (10 minutes early) there were 2 other girls there but it was not a group interview.

The manager was very laid-back and funny and you can tell that she was trying to make the interview go as smoothly as possible. The interview process was about 20 minutes long and it was scorching outside, thankfully I didn't wear any face make-up.

Before my interview, there was a girl there waiting on her second interview. The guy at the cash register had said that on your second interview, if you get one, if you're not invited back into the store, you did not get the job. While it was my turn next, I was myself and answered honestly, not just telling her what she wanted to hear. After the Interview she had asked me to come in the next week for a second interview.

On my second interview which lasted about 10 minutes, she told me about company policies such as dress code, sales, and working on commission (yes you do work on commission in addition to having a regular paycheck) she made a note to say that if you are not doing well making sales, your hours will be cut. It wasn't a big deal to me because I have experience in sales, but I never had or heard of anyone getting their hours cut before that. After that, she told me she really wanted me to become part of the staff.

I told her I would think about it because after she told me about a long list of "Don'ts" in the company policy, I wasn't so sure I wanted to work their anymore.
First, the dress code. You HAVE to wear 3 shirts, pants, accessories, and shoes from The Buckle. If you're not familiar with their prices, think of it as an American Eagle, but much more over-priced. They give you 30 days to buy their clothes and wear them. Money is not an issue, but at the same time, I will not spend half my paycheck buying $80 jeans and $28 a piece for 3 different shirts. - out the question.

Second, they DO fire you (at least at this Buckle) if you are not bringing in the sales which sometimes can be hard to get.

I called back letting her know that I was grateful for the experience and the offer, but I would have to decline.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Buckle?   View Answer
  • Describe the fashion of Buckle and how do you fit?   View Answer
  • Name a time you dealt with Loss Prevention. How did you deal with it?   View Answer
  • What makes you stand out from any other person wanting this job?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Policies were beyond strict and the pay was much lower than expected.

Very Easy Interview

Fayetteville, AR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Buckle in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email around an hour later saying to call the store and set up an interview. I did so and my interview was the next day. I had my interview with the store manager who was in his 20's (as am I) and it went well. I could tell that this would be a little bit of an unprofessional atmosphere, but I really needed the money so when he offered me the job at the end of the interview, I accepted. I had my first day of work/training a few days later. At that point, I knew this job wasn't for me. I have worked in retail before, and this wasn't ever a problem for me. I felt that the management and the other sales associates working there were too unprofessional. The store manager was pompous, judgmental, and overall a rude person. I quit a few days later.

Interview Question – Basic questions. None of them were difficult. Some tips- wear Buckle! Their jeans are their most important sale item. Wear any brand of jean that they carry in the store and that will be a major plus. Know some of the brands they carry beforehand- just be educated about the company and show general interest in the types of styles they carry.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You get a base which is below minimum wage, and then a commission on your sales.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Buckle in May 2014.

Interview Details – I sent in my application online was was emailed back for an interview later that night. I met with the manager who was very nice, complimenting my skills and outfit the entire time. She said she would call me back on that Friday. It was been more than 3 weeks and still no call. A little disappointed, since the interview went so well and she gave me her word.

Interview Question – Not anything too difficult. Regular things, like tell me about your last job, what do you do at school, etc.   Answer Question

Flint, MI

Interview Details – So I show up to the store and the staff were looking at my strangely and I tell one of the associates that I had interview. She gives me a dirty look and chuckles and told me to walk around and look at stuff and that the interviewer would see me in a few. I walk around awkwardly for about 20 min... One of the associates looks at me and tells me she liked my outfit in a snotty, stuck up attitude. It's like really? Your outfit is hideous. The girl comes out and asks me if I was who she was interviewing and I told her yes, and she said in a very condescending way, oh I figured while judging my outfit, as she's wearing an ugly oversized poop green sweater with a black maxi skirt. So right off the bat, I could tell she already made her decision about me. She asked me questions and kept rolling her eyes and being condescending the whole time. Told me this was a personality test and IF I pass aka if she liked me I would get a second interview. I felt uncomfortable and awkward. She thanked me and gave me a dirty looked. Talking down on me... Yeah... You're a manager at a retail store. You're not that cool. She was very rude and unprofessional. I'm not the prettiest or skinniest girl ever, but she should've at lease treated me like a human being.

Interview Question – What are your plans after school.... What do you plan on doing with your schooling.   View Answer

Cedar Hill, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Buckle in June 2013.

Interview Details – I stressed out the whole entire week about what I would wear to this interview. I wore fashionably ripped jeans, sparkly belt, and one of those cold shoulder tops (Hint: If you walk in and the manager says "cute outfit!" you most likely didn't get the job) . I came in for my interview and had to wait for about 10 minutes to speak to the manager. The interview was held standing at the back of the store while others were shopping. We talked for a bit. He was fake nice. He told me he had a ton of other applicants and that he would get back to me in a few days. It was at least 3 weeks and I got an email stating that I did not get the job.

Interview Question – Strengths weaknesses, "tell me about yourself" All the basic nonsense people ask. No extremely difficult questions were asked   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Buckle in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule an interview. The interview was easy the manager took me in the back of the store and asked a couple questions. It lasted about 10 minutes

Interview Question – Do you shop here regularly?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Buckle in April 2014.

Interview Details – Took the online assessment after filling out the application, got the email asking me to call to set up an interview. It was late so I decided to call the next day. The next day around 10 am I called back and they said they had no openings.. So I called back the next day and they said they would call me Monday which they never did so I ended up calling them and got an interview for the next day. Right when I walked in the manager was ready she took me to the middle of the sales floor and interviewed me. I could tell she was judging some of my responses. She asked me why I thought I had excellent customer service skills and looked at me like i was an idiot after I answered. She got my hopes up by explaining what the second interview would be like then the next day I received an email saying I was not accepted which upset me because they couldn't even call instead they sent an email. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the job because I didn't fit the "look" they judge you right away. Also, I wore black slacks and a cute dressy shirt that looked like it was from the buckle I curled my hair and wore dangly earrings.

Interview Questions

Spokane, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at The Buckle in July 2010.

Interview Details – The Buckle focuses on six things for a teammate application. Those six things are customer service, fashion motivation, relationships, selling style, and work style. Broken down this would be something like this:

Customer service - Evidence of a value system, especially related to customers, work, and rightness.
Fashion - This is a no brainer...be fashionable
Motivation - Individuals with a strong motivational drive who are basically hardworking, goal oriented and ambitious.
Relationships - able to build strong relationships both inside and outside of work. Basically you need to be able to build rapport with everyone
selling style - people who aren't afraid of being told no and are able to overcome objections and challenges.
Work style - people who are able to move quickly and efficiently without needing a ton of direction

Interview Question – Tell me what you believe your biggest strength and weakness is and why you think you're the right fit to work here.   View Answer

Worked for The Buckle? Contribute to the Community!