The CBORD Group Interview Questions

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at The CBORD Group

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The CBORD Group (Ithaca, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

I was referred for the position by a professor of HR. I was contacted after the HR director received the referral to set up an interview the following day. The interview took place the following week and I received notification that the position went to someone else a week after that. It was a straight forward interview. I was asked to elaborate my experiences detailed on my resume. It was my first real, interview experience with a hiring manager and I may have been nervous. I am not sure what she was looking for but maybe the other candidate simply had more to offer. But nevertheless, the interview questions were simple and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• What would your professors or past managers say about you?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The CBORD Group (Ithaca, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

That was not bad. No prospects of advancement. 2 interviews and job offer quickly.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The CBORD Group (Ithaca, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

There was a standard screening interview by an HR droid, during which she asked me to repeat what was on my resume, and whether I could do what was in the job description. If you've done your homework and were honest on your resume, you get a proper interview, no curveballs there.

The 1:1 and group interviews were not demanding. I can't say what the whole company is like, but in this group everyone had been there for years. I asked about advancement and they said a lot of positive things, but in a 1:1 my peer interviewer actually admitted that real promotions are rare. They're owned by larger fish but not connected to them in business, so it looked like I'd be swimming in a small pond.

The whole show was a little slow. From first contact to an offer took more than a month and by then I had other offers. Ithaca looked like a great little town but it was not meant to be.

Interview Questions

• "Describe an example in which you failed to perform as expected and what you did about it."   1 Answer

The group I sat with were generally not interested in using technology with which they were not already familiar. That was a red flag - if they hire me, how else can they leverage what I know from ten years of experience? They bristled when I mentioned other frameworks and the advantages of each while I was answering a technical question. I know what I'm talking about so that isn't the issue, they just seemed closed to new ideas, and this was the interview! They had some tasks they needed done and seemed to want someone who would follow orders. I was told interaction with clients would be minimal. They talked about agile development and so on but it seemed like a management heavy, low turn over environment.