The Children's Aid Society

2.3

Assistant Director, Marketing and Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at The Children's Aid Society.

I was contacted very quickly after submitting my application. It seems that turnover at the Society is high.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer was very unprepared and hadn't read my resume. He asked only generic questions and divulged little information about the position. He stopped several times because he had a sneeze that kept getting 'stuck.'   Answer Question

Family Life & Sexuality Educator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Children's Aid Society in September 2013.

I received a call from the director of the program to set up an interview for the end of the next day, I was interviewed by two people ( director and another teacher) Following the interview I was asked to give a demo class in 3 days. However, when I arrived home I received an email asking me to have the demo class on thursday instead of friday due to school being closed. I arrived at 8am for 8:30 demo class. I was told that students are testing and would not be available for my open class. Would I be willing to return at 11am. I did and was given the 10th graders rather then 8th graders. The materials I prepared were not age appropriate. Following the demo class which was observed by 4 people. I received feedback and was informed that I would receive a call for another interview with someone that was taking my immediate supervisor place while she was on maternal leave. He called and offered me either a phone interview on friday or face to face interview on monday. I choose the friday phone interview which consisted of him going through my entire resume and asking me to elaborate on my experiences. Following that I received an email with information about where to go to get my fingerprints. After that I received a call that I had a face to face with my immediate supervisor who is returning back from maternal. She called and I met with her and it seemed like she was bent on proving that she was the one in charge. Although she expressed that she heard lots of good things from everyone I got the impression that she was not impressed. I thought it was a greet, it turned out to be another interview. She never mentioned it, but at the end she was still interviewing, which was a different message that I got from everyone else I had been in communication with. She kept asking me what did this person and that person tell me. Well, you can guess what happened I received an email from her informing me that they decided to go with another candidate but that I was a very strong and promising candidate.

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with a student that came and shared that she was sexually abused and did not want parents to know, how would I deal with it?   Answer Question

Caseworker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Children's Aid Society in December 2011.

Had brief phone screening and in-person interview for one position, which mostly consisted of the interviewer describing the position and warning me about some of the challenges. Was then told to email if still interested, which I did. Never heard back. The next month another interviewer contacted me regarding a different position. Interviewed in a group setting. Again the interview mostly consisted of the interviewer trying to make sure we were prepared for the difficulties of the job. My boss later told me I was chosen partly because I demonstrated that I was "not afraid" of the job.

Interview Questions
    • Would you feel comfortable handling crisis situations?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, just accepted the offer, but I would recommend asking for a slightly higher salary. Can't hurt to ask, and even though there's a narrow range of compensation in this field, I do wonder if they would have gone a little higher if I'd asked.

Dentist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Children's Aid Society in September 2007.

Initially- Sent an e-mail to hiring manager indicating interest in a position when it became available.
    Next- Received notification a position was recently vacated.

Interview- Interviewer was cordial, pleasant and focused. Others were disorganized, nosy and apperared to drop by during the interview only to satisfy thier curosity.
    Hiring-Phone call, extended offer quickly. Followed up with letter 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    • How do you feel about travelling to different sites?   View Answer
    Nonexistent. Do ample research to ensure you can present a salary range.

Worked for The Children's Aid Society? Contribute to the Community!