The Children's Aid Society

The Children's Aid Society Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2015

2.6

Program Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at The Children's Aid Society.

Interview

Interviewed by multiple people, after which was interviewed by the On Site Director. Questions were your standard questions about Youth Development, trainings I had completed, what my 5 year plan was and any negatives about my last employer. Completed various background checks and screenings. Was told had other people to interview, had to wait a few days for call back. I received the offer and accepted after much negation for a reasonable salary.

Central Services Interview

Interview

Pretty standard. Entry and associate level positions involve replying to posting with resume and cover letter. If interested, the recruiter will conduct a phone screening, then you will advance to two in-person interviews.

Interview Questions

• They were all pretty standard and predictable questions.   Answer Question

Carrera Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Children's Aid Society in September 2014.

Interview

Initially was called for an interview on the phone. Then proceed to in-person interview with a clinical supervisor who was somewhat vague about details of the hiring process, only to find out later that I would do 5 interviews (including 3 in-person meetings with different staff members, 1 on-site demo lesson, and a meeting with the program founder of the program). I was again given vague details about what I would be 'teaching' or doing in the demo lesson, and when I got there, the class I was told I would be teaching (8th grade) had been changed last minute to 7th grade, so my lesson plan and materials were not entirely age-appropriate. From start to finish it took almost 2 months to get an offer. I think because the HR staff was largely new, the direct deposit forms were not given to me until I was already working, and even then my site director had to advocate to get it done.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were especially difficult. They were mostly "What would you do if..."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Confusing and not really applicable. They already had a rate in mind but the 1st person who interviewed dd not clarify that it was a prorated 10-month salary, stretched out over 12 months. This was somewhat slimy in my opinion.

LMSW Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The Children's Aid Society (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

It was a group interview but ended up just being myself and one other potential candidate who was actually a BSW and applying for the same job. It was really awkward to be interviewing with someone at a different education level and who would be hired for the same job but paid much less.

Interview Questions

• Given all the challenges of this job, why do you still want this position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Children's Aid Society (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted very quickly after submitting my application. It seems that turnover at the Society is high.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer was very unprepared and hadn't read my resume. He asked only generic questions and divulged little information about the position. He stopped several times because he had a sneeze that kept getting 'stuck.'   Answer Question

Family Life & Sexuality Educator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Children's Aid Society (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

I received a call from the director of the program to set up an interview for the end of the next day, I was interviewed by two people ( director and another teacher) Following the interview I was asked to give a demo class in 3 days. However, when I arrived home I received an email asking me to have the demo class on thursday instead of friday due to school being closed. I arrived at 8am for 8:30 demo class. I was told that students are testing and would not be available for my open class. Would I be willing to return at 11am. I did and was given the 10th graders rather then 8th graders. The materials I prepared were not age appropriate. Following the demo class which was observed by 4 people. I received feedback and was informed that I would receive a call for another interview with someone that was taking my immediate supervisor place while she was on maternal leave. He called and offered me either a phone interview on friday or face to face interview on monday. I choose the friday phone interview which consisted of him going through my entire resume and asking me to elaborate on my experiences. Following that I received an email with information about where to go to get my fingerprints. After that I received a call that I had a face to face with my immediate supervisor who is returning back from maternal. She called and I met with her and it seemed like she was bent on proving that she was the one in charge. Although she expressed that she heard lots of good things from everyone I got the impression that she was not impressed. I thought it was a greet, it turned out to be another interview. She never mentioned it, but at the end she was still interviewing, which was a different message that I got from everyone else I had been in communication with. She kept asking me what did this person and that person tell me. Well, you can guess what happened I received an email from her informing me that they decided to go with another candidate but that I was a very strong and promising candidate.

Interview Questions

• How would I deal with a student that came and shared that she was sexually abused and did not want parents to know, how would I deal with it?   Answer Question

Caseworker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Children's Aid Society (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

Had brief phone screening and in-person interview for one position, which mostly consisted of the interviewer describing the position and warning me about some of the challenges. Was then told to email if still interested, which I did. Never heard back. The next month another interviewer contacted me regarding a different position. Interviewed in a group setting. Again the interview mostly consisted of the interviewer trying to make sure we were prepared for the difficulties of the job. My boss later told me I was chosen partly because I demonstrated that I was "not afraid" of the job.

Interview Questions

• Would you feel comfortable handling crisis situations?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, just accepted the offer, but I would recommend asking for a slightly higher salary. Can't hurt to ask, and even though there's a narrow range of compensation in this field, I do wonder if they would have gone a little higher if I'd asked.