The Climate Corp Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Climate Corp.

Interview

Applied on line. Scheduled online a phone interview with HR. Got the call 5 mins later than the schedule. I am with att and I had very good cell signal. But the connection for the interview was very bad, and she put me on speaker. She stopped me right after I started to introduce myself, saying she needed to go to the computer to write down my background. Sometimes I could hardly hear what she was saying. When I asked her to repeat, she became inpatient, and even skipped one question.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Climate Corp in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume on their website and got a response within 2 weeks. Talk with HR was informational, getting to know about the team, the role and you talk about yourself. It was fairly interesting with good environment of working on something challenging. She said she would get back to me regarding next steps.

Got feedback after few days asking me to participate in an 24 hours coding challenge. The test itself wasn't too difficult to be honest, but its open ended questions and you can have your imagination flow as wild as you want. I actually found it quite interesting and although I did spend quite a lot of time in it I didn't feel I was overworked. I felt quite confident with my solutions.

Two weeks later, after many follow ups, I was told, through email, that they didn't want to proceed with my application. Obviously it was disappointing but I get this kind of message all the time so I wasn't too downbeat. But what I feel is their lack of respect to the candidates. I understand people here has been talking about how they use this test to steal ideas from candidates, I have no problem with this. But they could have been more respectful by taking interest in you as a person, because I feel any interview is mutual, you want to find out more about the candidate as much as the candidate wants to find out what you want and who you are, the candidates does not hold the resumes of the team members.

The process is more like begging them for a job: you get screened by HR, the team looks at your resume, if it matches slightly send him/her the test, get the test result and if interested send him/her in, if not just ask him to head off. Every step the candidate has to prepare and spend a lot of time for it, while they can just make decision base on what mood they are in. They don't even have the decency to call you in person to tell you the news, let alone telling you the reason. At the end, you are just treated like a package in the process.

Unless you really want to work for them and have distinct advantages like knowing someone there, there are places you can better spend your time by actually sharing thoughts with someone in the interview.

ETL Ninja Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Climate Corp in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. HR contacted me. I provided my available timings. She didn't get back to me first. When she did, she gave an excuse of being slammed for the week. I again provided her my next available timings. She responded the next day after my availability with an excuse of being away due to her birthday. We eventually agreed on a particular time and spoke for 20 minutes. She was very excited and positive over the phone and answered all of my questions as well. She told me that she will reach back to me within a day with the next process. 4 days go by (2 weekend days), but i didn't hear anything. So, I reached out to her and I got Rejected answer without any explanation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at The Climate Corp in March 2015.

Interview

The process was very long and involved talked with people from several different offices (in different time zones) and several different online services. A recruiter phone screen, then a phone interview with HR, followed by an online code test. Then two phone/online technical interviews before a 3 hour on site interview. The people involved were all very professional but the process leaves a bit to be desired.

Interview Questions

• The classic Fizz-Buzz problem in whatever language you are comfortable with   Answer Question
    • Given a large database of contact information, how would you find and merge duplicates (including partial duplication)?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Climate Corp.

Interview

The first time I emailed to set up an interview I didn't get a response back for a week as the email had gone to spam somehow so we had to reschedule the interview. After that, the interviewer never called at our planned time as she was sick and I wasn't informed until a few hours later. I reschedule an interview for 2 days later.

As it was for a data analyst position I wasn't quite sure what to except. It contained no coding/programming questions at all and the interviewer was mostly interested in learning how I could go about sorting/cleaning/collecting and finding interesting facts in data.

Interview Questions

• Asked about how I would check to see if there were duplicates in a set of 1.5 million records of data.   Answer Question

Underwriting Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Climate Corp (Kansas City, KS).

Interview

I was interviewed on the phone twice, and drove twice to interview in person with no compensation for traveling expenses. I was informed two weeks later they weren't in the position to hire anyone at that time.

Interview Questions

• If I was informed about Monsanto and my opinion of their unlike in the world.   Answer Question

Crop Modeler Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Climate Corp in November 2014.

Interview

I applied via the Soil Science Society website and was contacted within a week for a phone interview. The recruiters questions were general, and I understood that this position was geared toward PhD level candidates. I have a masters degree, and have studied models related to soil hydrology and nitrogen use efficiency, and am experienced with R, however, I could see that this position would really stretch my abilities. The phone interview was fine, and I was invited move take a "Challenge."

The challenge which was more or less an example of work I would be doing on the job. Yes, it was quite challenging and it did stretch my capabilities. In the end, I realized that it was just beyond my current experience, especially in regards to writing R code.

I felt like the challenge was fair, and I actually really enjoyed grappling with the problems. The recruiter was respectful, amiable, and stayed in contact.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Climate Corp (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

1. Initial phone screening was about 45 minutes - some simple coding questions and questions about previous projects, what I seek in an internship, etc.

2. I was called back for an in-person interview. It took three hours total and I interviewed with three people. Each interviewer asked me about my previous projects and at the end asked me some coding questions and some brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• What is the value of 9 x 99 x 999 x 9999 x 99999 x .... x (nine hundred ninety-nine 9's)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Climate Corp.

Interview

Initial phone screen, next step would have been to go into the office for an in-person interview. The person I spoke to on the phone had me on speaker (my first negative reaction), and seemed to not understand my answers to her questions. She seemed to have a poor attitude during our conversation, which made me not want to proceed with the company. They never followed up.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about scheduling candidates in coordination with the hiring managers?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Climate Corp.

Interview

Interview Process was not that exciting. I was called late by the interviewer and then he started asking me javascript questions because he thought I was asking for front end developer position, but I had told them I was applying for backend. He then went on with the interview instead of referring me to a different team.

Interview Questions

• Questions about handling json object and reversing string   Answer Question