The Columbus Dispatch

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.7

Dispatcher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Columbus Dispatch.

face to face with different levels of management. Went to 3 interviews. talked with manager of department and his direct supervisor. Took a tour of facility including where I would be working

Editorial Interview

The hiring process involved both a phone interview as well as me going into their office. The phone interview was pretty casual but lasted upward of a half hour. The meeting in person had a lot more serious tone to it but none of the questions were unfair. Overall, I enjoyed the interview process.

Reporter Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Columbus Dispatch.

Talked with their top editor who talked more about himself than the paper. His brand of journalism is boring and lacks any amount of creativity. The paper's staff is disgruntled and most think they are about to be fired. The paper appears to have laid off nearly all of its better reporters and now finds itself sucking wind to the local TV and radio stations. The staff complains about newsroom management and its lack of desire to do good journalism and its complete lack of understudying of online news. Most say run out the door and keep going. Worse yet, the pay they offer is really low. Papers in Toledo and Dayton are much higher in quality and pay way better.

Interview Questions
    • Do you use email more than postal mail.   View Answer

They are just too behind online.

Marketing Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Columbus Dispatch in August 2014.

Unprofessional. They will ask you if you're a subscriber - and if you're not, it's incredibly uncomfortable in the room. I was really turned off by the lack of communication on their part. I didn't know I did not get the position until I got a letter in the mail, about a month after my face to face interview. When I followed up with HR, my email was never returned.

Account Executive, the Columbus Monthly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at The Columbus Dispatch in February 2013.

I applied online at Dispatch.com. I sent a cover letter and uploaded my resume. I received a phone call from the VP/Publisher of The Columbus Monthly magazine w/in 6 days. A phone interview was scheduled the next day. An in person meeting is next. They said they would let me know. After that, you have to pass a background check to be hired and they check references as well. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes and there was no give and take. Basically the publisher asked questions for 40 minutes and gave me 5 minutes to ask her questions. Not impressed.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when faced with conflict and how do you cope with it? (this question was asked twice). When I asked how she managed conflict, she said she had no conflict ever. Then told me when pressed, that she deals with it.   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Columbus Dispatch in January 2013.

Took 4 months. Did a phone interview with HR, then a in person interview with hiring manager. Third step was a group panel interview and a presentation. The process took a very long time. Presentation is role play. Given a company and you have to give a mini presentation on a marketing plan that will fulfill their needs.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty easy. Just typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    N/A

News Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person – interviewed at The Columbus Dispatch in July 2008.

Process stalled once interviews were over. Notification on manager's decisions took a long time. I found the department managers to be unnecessarily cryptic when it came to answering certain questions pertaining to the hiring process.