The Conference Board Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 17, 2014
8 interviews

2.3

Business Development Interview

There are three interview components. The first one was an behavioral interview. Next, they asked me to do a Raven test. At the last, a case interview was followed. Time interval between these three phases is about three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What did you think of your previous interview with the conference board.   Answer Question

Audience Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Conference Board in December 2012.

Very straight forward and no-nonsense. My situation is a bit unique because I was recruited by an ex-boss. We spoke a few times on the phone prior to my interview. I was happy at my previous job but agreed to meet him and the Executive Director of the department at the TCB headquarters for an interview. When I saw the offices, was explained the role, heard about their stellar reputation and opportunities for growth I was sold. I went to the interview without intentions of switching companies but I'm incredibly happy that I did.

They do make you take a Microsoft Office test which at the time seems ridiculous because the assumption is that most everyone knows Microsoft Office, but as I've come to find out after regrettably hiring someone without checking the results of their test that it's very necessary. If you do fail the test it's up to the discretion of the hiring manager to proceed with an offer or not. It's incredibly easy though.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't throw me any curve balls. They asked me how I would handle specific situations but I was very qualified for the position so it was nothing I couldn't handle. They also asked why they should hire someone that is pursuing their MBA. They wanted to make sure that I wasn't just looking to collect a salary while in school but that I would be fully dedicated to the role for 40 hours a week.   Answer Question
    They made an initial offer, I countered, they countered and in the end I got what I asked for. I'm not saying they were push overs. They were reasonable; there was no nonsense. I just went into negotiations knowing what I wanted and didn't give up on it because I already had a full time job. I'm glad I did. Make sure to negotiate your salary because the raises happen annually only if we've made enough money in the fiscal year. Since I've been here they've been very small. If you request a raise beyond the annual raises it has to be approved by your manager and then approved by the board which is very unlikely unless you have taken on a tremendous amount of responsibility that is not required of you in your role. And even then I'd assume it would be unlikely. Just make sure to start out with a salary that you can live with and don't rely on significant raises or bonuses.

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at The Conference Board in January 2013.

I had a total of 6 interviews. Most of them were unfocused more about fitting in than about identifying needed skills to fix failures. Not very structured, got the impression that they wanted a body, irrespective of the situation.

Interview Questions
    • Can you work in a role what is defined but likely to change?   Answer Question
    Told what was, no room for shaping a workable situation

Director Alliance Services Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Conference Board.

External recruiter demanded salary history, shared range, but posted different numbers online than told me. He was extremely rude and abusive, the company should get a new recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted to see w2 info salary history, why left last positions, quota attainment in order to gain interview   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at The Conference Board in April 2009.

Typing test, gramma test, computer skills test, all these started the process. Only 2 stages: HR and Hiring Manager.

Interview Questions
    • What do you value in work environment?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Director of Associate Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Conference Board.

Initial contact via phone by very old fashion head hunter.
    SVP of US development interviewed me in person for 1 1/2 hours (this was suppose to be a 30 minute meet and greet) good sign.

Formal interviews in the NY offices 7 one hour interviews with senior leaders from various departments (including Economics).

Interview Questions
    • With your experience, why work at TCB?   View Answer
    Negotiated for larger base salary-no funding available
    Budget cuts, hiring freeze

Director of Associate Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Conference Board in November 2008.

I was contacted by a headhunter who sent me to the company website to learn about the organization to determine interest.
    I was asked to provide a detailed recap of my performance for the previous 15 years of employment.
    Telephone interview with the Senior VP which was detailed and lasted approximately an hour and forty-five minutes.
    Received a call from SVP in a couple of weeks to come to the headquarters in NYC for additional interviewing.
    In NYC, interviewed with seven senior level executives in different departments including the President.
    Received an offer in couple of weeks and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to join our organization during one of the most difficult times in U.S. history?   Answer Question
    Negotiated for more of base salary, but was turned down. Reason given was economic situation.

Workflow Specialist Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at The Conference Board in March 2010.

Met at a software seminar, exchanged professional information then I contacted my potential employer

Interview Questions

Worked for The Conference Board? Contribute to the Community!