The Delta Companies Interview Questions

3.2

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Delta Companies in August 2013.

I first met their recruiters at a job fair which was focused on very entry level positions such as debt collectors, Mary Kay sellers, BBB, etc. After speaking with both about my sales experience, I provided a resume and went on my way. I received a call from the recruiter less than two hours later. I was then put in touch with the other recruiter for an onsite screening to go over additional questions. From there, I had to go back online and resubmit all of my resume information through a Topgrading career history form.

I break the paragraph because I think it is important that all understand Topgrading. It is an automated tool that the company uses to do the hiring for them. I found it to be an insulting waste of time. Look at their website and see for yourself. Also, I would find this highly insulting as a hiring manager as it would undermine any sort of decision autonomy they have. I have never seen this tool before and I hope I never do again.

Following the online form, I was brought in for a panel interview with two individuals who basically read questions from the Topgrading Interview Guide. Seriously go check their website out. I am well out of college and they were more interested in knowing how my high school life was than my sales experience.

Should you make it past all of this, you must then set up calls for them with your references. After that I assume you go through the standard background checks and whatever else is necessary. I for one did not get to set up the calls. When I contacted the recruiter a week later to check on the status, I was lied to and told that he sent an e-mail announcing they went elsewhere. We had corresponded multiple times through e-mail and I never did receive this e-mail.

All in all, I understand that I am coming across as bitter about not being hired. That actually could not be further from the truth. It was my investigation into Topgrading that really led my evaluation. Let me leave you with one last bit of information about Topgrading. This is pulled directly from their website and I find highly insulting:

Add one powerful sentence to your discussions with every potential candidate for employment with your organization. It’s called the Threat of Reference Check, or TORC Technique. It’s a powerful “truth serum” that has been used for more than three decades to motivate all candidates to tell the whole truth in application forms and interviews. It’s incredibly simple and here’s how it works: At every step in the hiring process, remind candidates that before receiving a job offer from your organization, a final step is for them (the candidate) to arrange reference calls with former bosses and others that you select.

Seriously, reference checks should be assumed and I find it insulting that they position this as a "threat." The Delta Companies needs to stop wasting candidates time and grow some brains to make their own decisions.

Travel Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Delta Companies in May 2013.

They make you go through 4 interviews one which is 4 hours long that goes back into your high school life. It was completely irrelevant to the job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating.

Recruiting Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Delta Companies in June 2012.

I was highly disappointed with this company's interview process and recruiting tactics. I found them to be highly unprofessional.

The interviewer told me via email prior to the interview that the base salary was between $50K-$60K. I even specified that I required a base salary between $50K-$60K in three different places prior to the interview: in an email to the interviewer, in the online application, and on the three-page questionnaire I was required to fill out prior to the interview. I was assured that their base pay was within the range I needed.
    However, during our in-person interview, the interviewer told me that the base salary was actually $36K for all recruiting and sales positions, non-negotiable. When I showed her a copy of our pre-interview communication regarding salary, she didn't know what to say. No apology, no explanation for any "mix up" or "misunderstanding."

I learned at my interview that there were three more interviews to go through before a hiring decision is made. If pay hadn't come up in our first interview, I wonder when in the timespan of the four interviews she would have told me that she was not honest about the base pay in our communication.

Also, I was told they require a side-by-side with another recruiter for two hours (on top of your total of four interviews) so you can see what the job is like. I will say that this could be a benefit to someone who is new at recruiting.

They do seem to offer a good training program. So if you are trying to break into recruiting, that would be very helpful to you.

I declined to proceed with any further interviews and do not recommend this company based on my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Are you okay with making 100 calls a day and being rejected 99 times?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at The Delta Companies in August 2011.

had a phone interview then interviewed with 4 different Directors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Delta Companies in January 2011.

The first interview was over the phone and then the next step was to meet with the supervisor. I received a call within that week to meet with the AVP. That was very informing. After the interview, I received a call that same day extending an offer and I accepted.

Marketing Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Delta Companies.

My process consisted of a phone interview with a recruiter, a questionairre, a one on one interview with HR, two interviews with the sales director and a job shadow with marketing representatives. The interview process is very structured, challenging and fun.

It is a set base plus commission. You negotiate your own salary on top of the base! It's a sales job!