The Fresh Market Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.0

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

The very first thing they asked me after the universal "So, tell me about yourself..." was how much I wanted to make per hour. I was caught a bit off-guard, since I am used to this question being asked towards the end of an interview rather than the very beginning. I told them I was completely open to negotiation, and asked them for the position's pay range. They said they couldn't provide that information. So I said that I had checked glassdoor.com, with the range given as $10-$15 and with an average of $12. I told the interviewer that I would therefore like to start the negotiation at $12 (given my experience and qualifications I did not want to look lacking in confidence by groveling for the very minimum pay, but I also didn't want to look greedy), but that I was fully willing to go lower than that if necessary. The interviewer nodded and scribbled something down, asked me a very small number of rather curt questions, seemed completely disinterested in anything I had to say and ushered me out. I got an email in almost record time informing me that I was no longer in the running for the position. I was called back a while later to interview for a lower clerk position, and the first thing the (different) interviewer told me was that I was automatically disqualified from the Assistant Manager position because the first interviewer wrote down that I had DEMANDED absolutely no less than $12 an hour, and that that was more than their maximum pay range for the position. When I explained that I had tried to ask for that specific store's pay range and was denied, and that glassdoor.com's posted pay range was the *only* thing I actually had to estimate from, I was admonished that glassdoor.com's statistics are skewed because the pay ranges differ by state, and that I shouldn't be going to a third party to get information on their company. All in all, I felt it was a very convoluted, disrespectful, unfair and borderline hostile experience, and in hindsight, I am very, VERY glad they didn't hire me. I ended up getting a job at one of their main competitors, where I get paid a lot more, treated very kindly and fairly, *and* it's a company that has *much* higher ratings on glassdoor.com than The Fresh Market does! So I really can't complain, though I urge everybody to look at just how low this company's overall scores are on glassdoor.com compared to other grocery stores, and apply at your own risk......

Assistant Front End Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Orlando, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

Initally interviewed at a job fair with an existing interview appointment, went very well. Interview went well and was called for a second interview. Wages were never discussed at the first interview past what I was currently making and was I interested in discussing wages.

Interview Questions

• tell me about your duties as asst.front end manager in the firsh interview. Second interview, "let's talk about money because this is usually a determining point- what kind of hourly wage are you expecting?"   1 Answer

Assistant Front End Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

The store manager called me for an interview two weeks after putting an application in online. The first interview they had me fill out new hire paperwork as he wanted to hire me. We discussed my qualifications for the position and where the company was headed. After about ten minutes he walked me around the store and then scheduled a second interview. This is where it goes downhill. He rescheduled several times and kept calling trying to offer me lower positions. so two weeks later I'm at interview two. I waited thirty minutes for the two of them to get together so we could interview. Interview two was the same as interview one...no hypothetical scenario questions or anything. The front end manager had me explain my experience THREE times. They said they'd call me back the following day and still haven't heard since.

Grocery Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

I first met with the asst mgr who said she liked me and would set up interview with mgr. I had to go into the store because none of the stores have enough help to pick up the phones. One of the big customer complaints. I met with the mgr who said he liked me and that he was offering the job to me. I said I had to talk to my family first. Once I made up my mind, I went back to the store, because nobody picked up the phone(I should never had gone back)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing to discuss

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

The interview process is really quick if you get called for an interview and have a clean background then you will most likely get the job. Depending on the manager they wont ask too many questions. They offer you a high rate of pay and depending on experience you may get more. keep in mind that if you apply as part time your hours could drop drastically and there is nothing you can really do bout it. Full time here is the only way you will be guaranteed hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you no longer working at your previous job?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

I applied online to a posting and a couple days later received a call from a recruiter he then set up a time for a phone interview. The recruiter called me on the designated time and we had a 30 minute conversation... A lot of tell me about a time when "this happened" and asked about my work history. Then I was scheduled an interview with the DM and store manager this interview lasted about an hour. Then I was scheduled for an interview with the regional manager. The total process was about a two weeks long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. I knew from the first call what the starting rate was.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

It lasted about an hour and a half. Not counting the preliminary phone screening. Lots of "Tell me about a time" questions. Pretty easy, really. Interview was conducted jointly by District Manager and Store Manager. Both had been with the company 7+ years.

Interview Questions

• Tell us the difference between diversity and inclusion   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Jacksonville, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

15 minute interview with store manager; he talked about why he loves working for the company. Discussed possible full-time and I'd willing to work other positions; offered job on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offered $10 h/r; accepted.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Saratoga Springs, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

All situational questions - describe a time when...how did you handle it? No questions that would reveal what makes you unique. They don't look at the resume ahead of time to find out what qualifies you for the position. They just read from a paper and don't ask any follow up questions. Interviews are done at a table in the vestibule, with customers sitting at other tables nearby. The guy who interviewed me talked and read the questions so fast that I could barely understand him. It also turned out they had already hired someone for one position but had to interview me because I was an internal applicant. For the management position, they just interviewed me as a formality because they had already decided to put me in the position.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were part of a team and how the team was successful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told I would receive a certain amount but then the store manager "forgot" and put me through for a lower amount. He said he couldn't fix it afterward.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Suwanee, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

I filled out an application online, and received a call back within 2 weeks. My interview was scheduled for the next day.The Manger asked lots of questions from a booklet. Afterwards, I asked a few questions I was offered a job on the spot and started the background check process.