The Fresh Market Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.0

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

The Fresh Market interview process was both professional and probing. In my experience the interviewer created an environment in which I could relax and answer questions candidly. This interview process was more like a professional conversation about my work related experiences and less an interview. The interviewer was prepared and took the time to answer all my questions from benefits to future growth to their own history with the company.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall any truly difficult questions though they were thought provoking.   Answer Question

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (New York, NY).

Interview

Very straightforward interview. I completed online application and was called back in less than 24 hours. I'm not thrilled with the pay and I'm seriously overqualified for the position but I see many opportunities for advancement especially considering that I do not have a problem with relocation.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked anything remotely, technical, analytical, behavioral, business case related, etc.   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Fresh Market in December 2014.

Interview

I received a call from the hiring manager about scheduling an interview, which I happily accepted. The following day, I came in for the interview with my resume and reference list in hand. I was a college student with no work experience, but I had been doing volunteer work the past couple of months. I could tell that just being myself was enough; showing up early for the interview, being well-dressed and having my resume in hand told her that I was a prepared individual. She asked me about a time I had to come in to work/volunteer unexpectedly and how I handled that. After that, we discussed my schedule and she let me know that she'd try to find a fit for me at The Fresh Market. A day or two later, I received a call offering me a job (pending a background check) and I was told the hourly rate of pay. A few days later I was called back with the results of the background check and I was asked to come in and fill out paperwork. After I filled out the paperwork, I received my first week's schedule.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation, but The Fresh Market pays above minimum wage, and since it was my first paying job, I was more than happy with that.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

Simple screening type of phone interview with a recruiter. Basically the recruiter seems to weed out people and then asks more questions if he thinks you might be a good fit. Then met with District Manager in person. Then Regional Manager. Both in person interviews lasted well over an hour. They dressed very informally and seemed laid back as they interviewed me in the store on the sales floor. Not in an office or anything. Kind of seemed a little strange in that aspect.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult came up. All were situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was little negotiation. They low balled me and I told them I wouldn't work for less than x and they agreed.

Assistant Deli Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

There were 2 initial interviews in one week before hiring. I was interviewed by two different managers. It was a clean and tiny office space where interview took place.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked were the obvious. Why do you want to work here? What can you bring to our company? When are you available ? Are you willing to go above and beyond? Are you willing to relocate if necessary ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. They told me what they can pay me and I accepted.

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Fresh Market in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was friendly but very short and to the point, which is good. They basically asked me some detailed questions about my experience with relational database management systems (Excel, Access, etc) and about my overall work experience. I did my homework on the company background and motto before applying and made sure to mention some key details which were pertinent to the position I applied for.

Interview Questions

• There was not a question I had difficulty answering. Not only was I prepared for the interview but everything that was asked was directly related to my work experience and the job at hand   Answer Question

Front End Interview

Interview

put an app in online. got a call within a few days for an interview. interview was rather easy. they just asked about work history and such. and then offered me a job.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

Interview was conducted by the store manager and assistant manager, off of a script. No thoughtful follow-up questions. Not a lot of specific information on what was required in the actual job. That leads to constant staff turn-over. There was no information about potential job growth, probably because the company has systems in place to prevent meaningful salary increases. Don't expect to see a 4 or your three month or annual review. According to my store manage, NO ONE gets 4s.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult question asked. They are all pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. A simple take it or leave it hourly wage, that I've since learned is far below local market levels. Each position is capped at maximum salaries, and average corporate increases are very, very low.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Fresh Market.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to set-up a phone interview. Then had to complete 2 online assesments - first one was pretty generic, what would you do in this situation, etc. Second one involved some basic math questions. Next, had face-to-face interview with District Manager. Finally had face-to-face interview with Regional Director. Whole process took about 2 weeks to complete.

Interview Questions

• Where in the US would you be willing to move for a promotion?   Answer Question

Compensation was not what I expected

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Fresh Market (Hampton, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interviewer had a list of questions that "corporate" hands out to ask everyone else. She was going through all of them and deciding which ones to ask and which ones she didn't want to ask. I felt like that should have been decided BEFORE the interview to avoid the awkward silence and flipping between pages.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or out of the ordinary. Basic questions about employment background, had I ever worked retail/grocery/cashier/customer service, have I ever shopped at Fresh Market, etc.   Answer Question