The Fund for the Public Interest

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.1

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Canvasser Interview

Easy, they hire almost anyone. They work on really cool campaigns but sometimes canvassing can get difficult so be prepared for what you are getting yourself into. It is a quick way to earn some extra money if you need a part time job

Other Interview Reviews for The Fund for the Public Interest

Canvasser Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Applied online, got a phone call the next evening to come in for an interview over the next two days. Went in and spoke with one of the directors and that was it.

Canvasser Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Apply online via Craigslist, Indeed, Glass Door, etc. They will call you within a day, set up an interview, hire you on the spot, and have you start the next day, most likely. You do an observation day, which is half-paid with an unpaid training session at the beginning of the day. If you do well, you will have the opportunity to quickly pursue leadership opportunities.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, compensation structure is set.

Canvasser Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

The interview was very laid back and focused around your ability communicate. They want to know what you know about the campaigns that they are currently running. They also want to discuss the requirements of the position, for instance: must be able to work at least twice a week for 8 hour shifts and average raising a certain amount of funds that night. They must average out for the week to meet a certain requirement or be put on probation. After two weeks of failing to meet requirements you may be let go.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were focused about the current issues that the group was canvassing for and what information you already know about the topic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in February 2014.

Phone interview. For such a ridiculous job, the interview was highly serious and professional, like the person on the other end of the phone was on a major power trip or drank a little bit too much of the coolaid. Easy questions. Why do you want to canvass. What is your experience. etc. etc.

Canvasser Interview

The interviewer herself made me uncomfortable, but later on was asked to step down from position of power due to incompetence.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in July 2013.

I applied online and they called me back the next day. I set up an interview for the next week. I arrived at the location and was surprised to see how the office was very... unfurnished. The walls were bare except for some posters and it basically looked like a studio going through renovations. That should have been my first warning. There were only 3 other people there for the interview. The interviewer lady gave us a brief description of the job description. Basically, she tried to embellish her words to hide the fact that you do not get the advertised $11- $17 a day you saw on the craigslist post.

Apparently, there is a quota you have to meet before you get that much. Otherwise, you get (according to her) "no less than minimum wage." Which basically means they're only willing to give the exact minimum wage -________-

We had to make a phone call to the governor's office and leave a message about banning fracking. It was quite awkward. I thought that the job was going to be actually working outside in the environment or doing an eco-friendly project, but apparently, the most important "job" is to ask people for money...

I was very disappointed that this was all we were going to do and it showed during my individual interview. They were not willing to be flexible for work hours either. They said 9am to 6 or 7pm I think. At that point, I didn't want the job any more. She said I would be contacted if they picked me. Overall it was a bad experience. I felt like it was a waste of time.

Canvasser Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

contact through phone and went in for an interview. Nothing too difficult, they're just trying to see if you're an out going person that can go door-to-door to ask for money

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in September 2012.

The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. After applying they'll phone you and ask about what you have been up to recently, you will then be called in to interview where The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. You are not asked to dress formally or even business casual. They are looking to hire as many people as possible, so don't be an idiot and you should at least get the job, whether or not you take it is another thing.

Interview Questions
    • There is one question based on what you would say if someone you canvass asks you a difficult question. I didn't know the answer and said as such... the interviewer told me not to worry about it and gave me all the information to for my first day of observation, which is a day where you shadow a "trainer" (a.k.a. a slightly experienced canvasser that'll say everything they want you to say to a newbie)   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they pay $8 an hour if you don't hit the weekly quota, %10 an hour if you do and you make 35% of everything above quota.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in June 2012.

1st round is an interview. You get a group presentation from a director and fill out paperwork. After that there's a 1:1 and they ask why you think you will be good at canvassing and why you want to do this job. A decent ammount of people get through that stage but the real interview is on your first day. They give you a script, you observe a real canvasser and have an hour by yourself. If you do well during that hour/get a contribution you pass.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to memorize the script on your first day. Do it as it makes all the difference.   Answer Question