The Fund for the Public Interest

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Canvasser

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – Apply online via Craigslist, Indeed, Glass Door, etc. They will call you within a day, set up an interview, hire you on the spot, and have you start the next day, most likely. You do an observation day, which is half-paid with an unpaid training session at the beginning of the day. If you do well, you will have the opportunity to quickly pursue leadership opportunities.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the Fund?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, compensation structure is set.

Canvasser

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – The interview was very laid back and focused around your ability communicate. They want to know what you know about the campaigns that they are currently running. They also want to discuss the requirements of the position, for instance: must be able to work at least twice a week for 8 hour shifts and average raising a certain amount of funds that night. They must average out for the week to meet a certain requirement or be put on probation. After two weeks of failing to meet requirements you may be let go.

Interview Question – The questions were focused about the current issues that the group was canvassing for and what information you already know about the topic.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in February 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview. For such a ridiculous job, the interview was highly serious and professional, like the person on the other end of the phone was on a major power trip or drank a little bit too much of the coolaid. Easy questions. Why do you want to canvass. What is your experience. etc. etc.

Interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest

Interview Details – The interviewer herself made me uncomfortable, but later on was asked to step down from position of power due to incompetence.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and they called me back the next day. I set up an interview for the next week. I arrived at the location and was surprised to see how the office was very... unfurnished. The walls were bare except for some posters and it basically looked like a studio going through renovations. That should have been my first warning. There were only 3 other people there for the interview. The interviewer lady gave us a brief description of the job description. Basically, she tried to embellish her words to hide the fact that you do not get the advertised $11- $17 a day you saw on the craigslist post.

Apparently, there is a quota you have to meet before you get that much. Otherwise, you get (according to her) "no less than minimum wage." Which basically means they're only willing to give the exact minimum wage -________-

We had to make a phone call to the governor's office and leave a message about banning fracking. It was quite awkward. I thought that the job was going to be actually working outside in the environment or doing an eco-friendly project, but apparently, the most important "job" is to ask people for money...

I was very disappointed that this was all we were going to do and it showed during my individual interview. They were not willing to be flexible for work hours either. They said 9am to 6 or 7pm I think. At that point, I didn't want the job any more. She said I would be contacted if they picked me. Overall it was a bad experience. I felt like it was a waste of time.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Canvasser

I applied online and interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – contact through phone and went in for an interview. Nothing too difficult, they're just trying to see if you're an out going person that can go door-to-door to ask for money

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in May 2012.

Interview Details – The process was really quick. I had a 10 minute conversation over the phone with a representative, then went in for an in-person interview. They asked pretty basic questions about my work experience and goals.

The interviewer was awesome, very personable and I was comfortable talking with them from the very beginning. It was an overall great experience, easy and comfortable.

Interview Question – The ways in which I coped with failure, as this was something that definitely pertains to the canvassing job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in September 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. After applying they'll phone you and ask about what you have been up to recently, you will then be called in to interview where The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. You are not asked to dress formally or even business casual. They are looking to hire as many people as possible, so don't be an idiot and you should at least get the job, whether or not you take it is another thing.

Interview Question – There is one question based on what you would say if someone you canvass asks you a difficult question. I didn't know the answer and said as such... the interviewer told me not to worry about it and gave me all the information to for my first day of observation, which is a day where you shadow a "trainer" (a.k.a. a slightly experienced canvasser that'll say everything they want you to say to a newbie)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they pay $8 an hour if you don't hit the weekly quota, %10 an hour if you do and you make 35% of everything above quota.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in June 2012.

Interview Details – 1st round is an interview. You get a group presentation from a director and fill out paperwork. After that there's a 1:1 and they ask why you think you will be good at canvassing and why you want to do this job. A decent ammount of people get through that stage but the real interview is on your first day. They give you a script, you observe a real canvasser and have an hour by yourself. If you do well during that hour/get a contribution you pass.

Interview Question – They ask you to memorize the script on your first day. Do it as it makes all the difference.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Poughkeepsie, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in February 2011.

Interview Details – I went to an info session offer by the college, I attend. It was fairly short, and not at all difficult. Most of the questions were fairly easy. One of the more important things is if they decide to give you a leadership position. They said I was well qualified for the normal leadership position which pays more, but instead were going to give me a leadership position that dealt more with PR, because the number of people qualified for that was fewer, but it was a volunteer position.

Interview Question – What would you say to someone who said that it was the government's responsibility (not their own) to make changes?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Fund for the Public Interest

Worked for The Fund for the Public Interest? Contribute to the Community!