The Fund for the Public Interest

Updated Jul 27, 2014

2.4

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in April 2014.

I was referred to the Fund by another organization I interviewed for and they called me out of the blue for an interview for an Assistant Canvass Director. Then they sent me an email setting up a time to talk. Apparently whoever schedules these things does not understand time zones. I missed the first call because they called an hour early while I was in class. We rescheduled and she confirmed in an email a very specific time, and then still called 2 hours early. I managed to take the call and do the interview. The interview itself was not difficult. If you have canvassed before you know what they are looking for.

They ask about you, why you want the job (which was somewhat difficult to answer since I hadn't actually applied), what you know about the company and job, and then they basically tell you about what you'll be doing. It was more an informational interview in some ways. Mostly they want to know that you care about the causes and are willing to work ridiculous hours.

They were somewhat evasive about how pay and training works, how many hours you would work, how you are placed (they could send you all over the country), and they don't explain how you are supposed to become an expert canvasser in 2 weeks. (The expectations around fundraising are never explained in the process and I know that canvassing turnover rates are high because people fail to meet fundraising goals. So my questions about job stability were not answered well.) I'm pretty sure they have some kind of script explaining the job since all three of my phone calls with people at the Fund gave me almost verbatim answers to my questions.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing too unexpected. Why you want to work for the Fund? What your qualifications are? If you know about and care about the causes they work on? Where you want to be placed? What considerations would influence your decision to accept the job if you were offered a position?   Answer Question

I was eventually offered a position in the city I wanted and I had two phone conversations about pay and benefits. They were very inflexible about the start date with only 3 weeks notice. The pay for directors is atrocious, coming out to around $4-5 an hour on a $25,000 salary because they expect you to work around 80hrs a week. They never sent me a written copy of the pay, benefits, health plan information, and other information I asked for. Because of the extremely short notice that would have required me to move to a new city and start work within a week of graduation (and this was later than they wanted me to start) I had very little time to secure housing.

The bad pay and inflexibility made me decide to decline the job. For a progressive company that works of social justice causes you'd think their labor practices would be better.

Other Interview Reviews for The Fund for the Public Interest

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

There is a first round interview and a second round interview. Usually one of them is in person or via skype. You will hear back within 2 weeks after your second round interview. The interview is challenging, but the interviewers really work to get to know you and tell you a lot about their experience, which makes it less intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • There is an organizing scenario question and there are a lot of the typical questions you should know if you're practicing job interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied online - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Where to begin. Their management is a joke. Especially in the Philadelphia office. I remember when I first went for an interview. The first time, it was a FM lieterally reading from a script. From working from another place, the script was almost the same as the previous place. My over 15 years experience left me with " we will let you know " to " sorry, we went with someone more qualified": The next interview was with some kid, and I use that term strongly, he was maybe 21. He didn't even want to interview me - he came out and told his FM that someone was going to be coming in for an interview -- I was already there, early, waiting, I told him, I can hear him. He knew i was there 0 such disrespect already. Then the positions in which were claimed to be open for the Philly office weren't -- I answered all the questions and even told him I would move in the next week to any city in the country he might need me I wanted to see if they were actually hiring people or possibly trying to get their personal information or something. Odd how I get emails from them now asking for money ... This place is a joke - especially the Philly office and whomever oversees that region. Then again, if all the ads are a lie,a d their FMs lie im sure he was lying about his title too.

Interview Questions
    • None, the guy was reading from a script he memorized and didnt hear a thing I had to say. The second guy literally was just scribbling on a note pad. ALL of them are liars . Its sad realy.   Answer Question

go ahead and google - The Fund For Public Interest - see what you get

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Interviewed in person with Assistant National Canvass Director a couple of weeks after starting as a Field Manager. Interview was very casual in nature and was basically a prolonged conversation. Typical interview questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "what is your biggest weakness". Lasted about 20 minutes and I received an offer in about a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in May 2011.

Applied online, got a call from a recruiter a couple days later. The recruiter and I set up a time to talk later in the week. First round was pretty standard, she asked me about my background and interests. It took about 30min after which she scheduled me in for a second round at thew Chicago office.

My in person interviewer asked 5-6 questions, one was a hypothetical about how I would get a citizen involved on an environmental campaign. I was honest in telling him I wasn't interested in the environment. He laughed, but I still answered the question as if I was talking face to face with that voter.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get a person who is already contributing to other causes involved with your cause?   Answer Question
    No negotiations. All offers are uniform.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in June 2011.

Loved interviewing for this positions, applied on a Monday got offered a phone interview on a Wendsday and passed that interview. After they seem really excited to have some one with my background. As of now I am waiting for a reply. I have a week left.

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Phone interview was easy and painless, the guy was kind monotonous and boring and couldn't answer any of my questions because he's from Work for Progress not the Fund (they do the hiring for the Fund) but he offered me a second interview, over Skype, right away. Unfortunately the earliest available interview was a month away (to be fair, this was around the Holidays, but still). Also had a writing sample arguing an issue in a newspaper article. The Skype interview went fine too and she promised they'd let me know within 2 weeks, but of course I never heard from them again and they never responded to my emails. Pretty frustrating. Especially since this ENTIRE process, no one could tell me if a position was even available in my town or if I'd have to move. Unprofessional and unfair.

Interview Questions
    • None. They were really easy since I had leadership and grassroots organizing experience already.   Answer Question

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in March 2012.

Applied online --> First 30 min phone interview --> Second phone/skype interview + optional writing assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to use organizational skills? Managerial skills? when you were up against something really big?   Answer Question

Worked for The Fund for the Public Interest? Contribute to the Community!