The Fund for the Public Interest

38 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Manager Interview

Field Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited from my college campus. The interview was very straight forward and easy; it felt more like a conversation than a job interview. The recruiter was nice and friendly.

Interview Question – What environmental issues are most important to you?   Answer Question

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Citizen Outreach Director

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was referred to the Fund by another organization I interviewed for and they called me out of the blue for an interview for an Assistant Canvass Director. Then they sent me an email setting up a time to talk. Apparently whoever schedules these things does not understand time zones. I missed the first call because they called an hour early while I was in class. We rescheduled and she confirmed in an email a very specific time, and then still called 2 hours early. I managed to take the call and do the interview. The interview itself was not difficult. If you have canvassed before you know what they are looking for.

They ask about you, why you want the job (which was somewhat difficult to answer since I hadn't actually applied), what you know about the company and job, and then they basically tell you about what you'll be doing. It was more an informational interview in some ways. Mostly they want to know that you care about the causes and are willing to work ridiculous hours.

They were somewhat evasive about how pay and training works, how many hours you would work, how you are placed (they could send you all over the country), and they don't explain how you are supposed to become an expert canvasser in 2 weeks. (The expectations around fundraising are never explained in the process and I know that canvassing turnover rates are high because people fail to meet fundraising goals. So my questions about job stability were not answered well.) I'm pretty sure they have some kind of script explaining the job since all three of my phone calls with people at the Fund gave me almost verbatim answers to my questions.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected. Why you want to work for the Fund? What your qualifications are? If you know about and care about the causes they work on? Where you want to be placed? What considerations would influence your decision to accept the job if you were offered a position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was eventually offered a position in the city I wanted and I had two phone conversations about pay and benefits. They were very inflexible about the start date with only 3 weeks notice. The pay for directors is atrocious, coming out to around $4-5 an hour on a $25,000 salary because they expect you to work around 80hrs a week. They never sent me a written copy of the pay, benefits, health plan information, and other information I asked for. Because of the extremely short notice that would have required me to move to a new city and start work within a week of graduation (and this was later than they wanted me to start) I had very little time to secure housing.

The bad pay and inflexibility made me decide to decline the job. For a progressive company that works of social justice causes you'd think their labor practices would be better.

Canvasser

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – Apply online via Craigslist, Indeed, Glass Door, etc. They will call you within a day, set up an interview, hire you on the spot, and have you start the next day, most likely. You do an observation day, which is half-paid with an unpaid training session at the beginning of the day. If you do well, you will have the opportunity to quickly pursue leadership opportunities.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the Fund?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, compensation structure is set.

Canvasser

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – The interview was very laid back and focused around your ability communicate. They want to know what you know about the campaigns that they are currently running. They also want to discuss the requirements of the position, for instance: must be able to work at least twice a week for 8 hour shifts and average raising a certain amount of funds that night. They must average out for the week to meet a certain requirement or be put on probation. After two weeks of failing to meet requirements you may be let go.

Interview Question – The questions were focused about the current issues that the group was canvassing for and what information you already know about the topic.   Answer Question

Door to Door Canvasser Interview

Door to Door Canvasser
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in June 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring/interview process was very unorganized. The organization did not inform on a dress code for coming for the interview. I came dressed in business professional attire. The company also constantly called my telephone begging me to get an interview without really not too much further investigation about my previous experience. The company responded very desperately.

Interview Question – Questions are very easy. "Gave me the job" right off back.   Answer Question

Canvesser Interview

Canvesser
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was scheduled for an interview at 11:30 am. When I arrived at the office I found myself seated with about 10 other people. The director for the location took each of our names and where we attend school, then gave us a run down of what the job was and the cause that was being promoted at the moment. Afterwards each of us were interviewed separately.

Interview Question – It was unexpected when they asked me about a potential "on the job" question. They asked "what would you say to a person that asks why they should join because their vote doesn't matter anyway?"   Answer Question

Citizen Outreach Staff Interview

Citizen Outreach Staff
College Park, MD

I applied online - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in March 2014.

Interview Details – Called me to schedule appointment. We're not able to accommodate my schedule easily. Showed up at their very inconvenient time only to be told that I should be there and rushed out. Rescheduled appointment several times for interview, we're generally rude. After the third interview attempt I talked to them for a few minutes which was the interview. They then called and said they lost my resume

Reason for Declining – They were rude and cancelled several times

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in February 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview. For such a ridiculous job, the interview was highly serious and professional, like the person on the other end of the phone was on a major power trip or drank a little bit too much of the coolaid. Easy questions. Why do you want to canvass. What is your experience. etc. etc.

Interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest

Interview Details – The interviewer herself made me uncomfortable, but later on was asked to step down from position of power due to incompetence.

Field Manager Interview

Field Manager
West Hartford, CT

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in April 2011.

Interview Details – Call them tell them you want to be a field manager. Go in they will make you walk around with them for no pay on day one. If you don't earn a contribution on your first night out, no job for you.

Interview Question – You must memorize the rap. So the most difficult question is give me your rap.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you worked with the group in past years they will give you about $1 raise for each year you had worked. You cannot negotiate a better deal, they cannot afford it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Fund for the Public Interest

Worked for The Fund for the Public Interest? Contribute to the Community!