The Fund for the Public Interest

Average Difficulty
34 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Canvasser

I applied online and interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – contact through phone and went in for an interview. Nothing too difficult, they're just trying to see if you're an out going person that can go door-to-door to ask for money

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Citizen Outreach Director

Interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest

Interview Details – Interviewed in person with Assistant National Canvass Director a couple of weeks after starting as a Field Manager. Interview was very casual in nature and was basically a prolonged conversation. Typical interview questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "what is your biggest weakness". Lasted about 20 minutes and I received an offer in about a week.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in May 2012.

Interview Details – The process was really quick. I had a 10 minute conversation over the phone with a representative, then went in for an in-person interview. They asked pretty basic questions about my work experience and goals.

The interviewer was awesome, very personable and I was comfortable talking with them from the very beginning. It was an overall great experience, easy and comfortable.

Interview Question – The ways in which I coped with failure, as this was something that definitely pertains to the canvassing job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in September 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. After applying they'll phone you and ask about what you have been up to recently, you will then be called in to interview where The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. You are not asked to dress formally or even business casual. They are looking to hire as many people as possible, so don't be an idiot and you should at least get the job, whether or not you take it is another thing.

Interview Question – There is one question based on what you would say if someone you canvass asks you a difficult question. I didn't know the answer and said as such... the interviewer told me not to worry about it and gave me all the information to for my first day of observation, which is a day where you shadow a "trainer" (a.k.a. a slightly experienced canvasser that'll say everything they want you to say to a newbie)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they pay $8 an hour if you don't hit the weekly quota, %10 an hour if you do and you make 35% of everything above quota.

Summer Canvasser Interview

Summer Canvasser

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – I had an interview for summer canvassing job which was conducted at my college. The interview was conducted by a student a couple years older than myself. The entire process was very short maybe 10 minutes long. I was asked to tell them about myself, explain my former leadership abilities and how I worked in a team, and give examples of when I demonstrated similar abilities to those needed as a summer canvasser. The interviewer said I would be a great fit and that I should call the Fund hotline to schedule an observation day. While it seemed like I had got the job, when I inquired on the phone the representative explained that the observation day is essentially a second round interview/trial employment period.

Interview Question – How would you respond to someone if they said that grassroots organizing was a waste of time?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job wasn't for me.

Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Interview

Volunteer Outreach Coordinator

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – I had one interview during a job fair after talking to a representative for a little while. It went well and I got a call after about setting up another interview with someone via skype. During the week we had scheduled the interview, I was unable to reach anyone or receive information about the interview and got a call several hours after the scheduled time asking to reschedule. We planned for later that week and I got some information on the person I was to be interviewing with but was told it would be done on their side. The day of the interview as the it was supposed to start I was called again by someone else and asked to reschedule for the next day. The following day I was once again left waiting for my interview and then called in to ask to be removed from their list of potential applicants. I was really interested at first, but after reading other accounts of employees and this interview experience, I decided to put my efforts elsewhere.

Interview Question – When can we schedule you for an interview?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in June 2012.

Interview Details – 1st round is an interview. You get a group presentation from a director and fill out paperwork. After that there's a 1:1 and they ask why you think you will be good at canvassing and why you want to do this job. A decent ammount of people get through that stage but the real interview is on your first day. They give you a script, you observe a real canvasser and have an hour by yourself. If you do well during that hour/get a contribution you pass.

Interview Question – They ask you to memorize the script on your first day. Do it as it makes all the difference.   Answer Question

Phone Canvasser Interview

Phone Canvasser
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview Details – There were two rounds of interviews. The first was to see if you were capable at reading a small script, and the second was a trial at the job. You use their computers from the early 90's (no really, I'm not kidding), to call people for money.

Interview Question – Fairly simple interview- there weren't any trick questions. Mainly, "why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I began with a Trial period for 5 days after my second interview. Only limited 10 minute training per day with expectations to be at or exceed the standards. Very few people will make it past this trial period. Out of the 10 people that had their Trial period with me, I was the only one to make it through. I quit the job a few weeks later. I'm passionate about the environment and social issues, not about making unemployed members feel terrible that they can't afford to donate.

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Citizen Outreach Director
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in May 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call from a recruiter a couple days later. The recruiter and I set up a time to talk later in the week. First round was pretty standard, she asked me about my background and interests. It took about 30min after which she scheduled me in for a second round at thew Chicago office.

My in person interviewer asked 5-6 questions, one was a hypothetical about how I would get a citizen involved on an environmental campaign. I was honest in telling him I wasn't interested in the environment. He laughed, but I still answered the question as if I was talking face to face with that voter.

Interview Question – How would you get a person who is already contributing to other causes involved with your cause?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. All offers are uniform.

Field Manager Interview

Field Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in September 2011.

Interview Details – I first received a call from one of their Field Managers. He told me a bit more one what the organization did and gave me their web site to check out. I was then asked what I thought about the organization and why I wanted to work for it. After a 15 minute chat on what my opinions were on food and government, I was offered an interview. The following week, I made it to their Chicago location and no one seemed to mind I was 10 minutes late because I got lost on the way. I was ushered into a room with several young adults (college age) who were also seeking positions there. The interviewers were very relaxed and wearing jeans (also, college aged). It was a very friendly environment with motivational quotes on the wall about change. The office was not what you would exactly call high tech or fancy. It was low budget, but I could pass that off on them being a Not-For-Profit. We were instructed to fill out a application sheet with our name, address, education, and work history. The last question was: On the back please state what you believe society's greatest problem is.

I was later taken to a small board room for my final interview. The final interview was 1:1. At the end, we shook hands and I was offered a position there as a Field officer in training. I was informed I would need to come in for an observation day. Of all the interview I have ever had, this one was the easiest.

I would advise all candidates to read up on what is being done to food that makes it so unhealthy these days and why the approach the fund is taking is key to change. Throwing out bits of interesting facts that might surprise the interviewer is very advisable. Articulation is also desirable.

Interview Questions

• What made you want to work with us at the Fund?   View Answer
  • What skills do you think you will be able to bring to the Fund?   Answer Question
  • What would you say if a person told you, "Its up to my local politician to make these changes in our community".   Answer Question
  • How would you motivate people to listen to our message?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate much. I was offed a position I wanted and I took it. I think the best way to get a higher position then canvasser is to know more about what is going on then the average person interviewing. I would also take into account if you really want to be walking all day and doing paperwork at the end of the day.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Fund for the Public Interest