The Fund for the Public Interest

Updated Aug 11, 2014
Updated Aug 11, 2014

2.1

Canvasser Interview

The interviewer herself made me uncomfortable, but later on was asked to step down from position of power due to incompetence.

Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hartford, CT

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in April 2011.

Call them tell them you want to be a field manager. Go in they will make you walk around with them for no pay on day one. If you don't earn a contribution on your first night out, no job for you.

Interview Questions
    • You must memorize the rap. So the most difficult question is give me your rap.   View Answer
    If you worked with the group in past years they will give you about $1 raise for each year you had worked. You cannot negotiate a better deal, they cannot afford it.

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

There is a first round interview and a second round interview. Usually one of them is in person or via skype. You will hear back within 2 weeks after your second round interview. The interview is challenging, but the interviewers really work to get to know you and tell you a lot about their experience, which makes it less intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • There is an organizing scenario question and there are a lot of the typical questions you should know if you're practicing job interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied online - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

Where to begin. Their management is a joke. Especially in the Philadelphia office. I remember when I first went for an interview. The first time, it was a FM lieterally reading from a script. From working from another place, the script was almost the same as the previous place. My over 15 years experience left me with " we will let you know " to " sorry, we went with someone more qualified": The next interview was with some kid, and I use that term strongly, he was maybe 21. He didn't even want to interview me - he came out and told his FM that someone was going to be coming in for an interview -- I was already there, early, waiting, I told him, I can hear him. He knew i was there 0 such disrespect already. Then the positions in which were claimed to be open for the Philly office weren't -- I answered all the questions and even told him I would move in the next week to any city in the country he might need me I wanted to see if they were actually hiring people or possibly trying to get their personal information or something. Odd how I get emails from them now asking for money ... This place is a joke - especially the Philly office and whomever oversees that region. Then again, if all the ads are a lie,a d their FMs lie im sure he was lying about his title too.

Interview Questions
    • None, the guy was reading from a script he memorized and didnt hear a thing I had to say. The second guy literally was just scribbling on a note pad. ALL of them are liars . Its sad realy.   Answer Question

go ahead and google - The Fund For Public Interest - see what you get

Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in July 2013.

I initially applied online and received an email to schedule a phone screening interview weeks later. After that, I had to write a one page essay on a current event and was shortly contacted for an in-person interview. During this interview, I met separately with three different staff members from the Financial Department and completed an administrative skills test that took about 30 minutes. About a week later, I was asked for references and a week after that, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • I did not anticipate the administrative test, which asked you to outline a small budget proposal, some scenario questions involving confidentiality of documents and bills received, etc. For someone who has never been in an administrative position, this could definitely throw them off. The entire interview process requires quite a few elements on the applicant's part (and rightfully so), so be prepared to prove your commitment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in July 2013.

I applied online and they called me back the next day. I set up an interview for the next week. I arrived at the location and was surprised to see how the office was very... unfurnished. The walls were bare except for some posters and it basically looked like a studio going through renovations. That should have been my first warning. There were only 3 other people there for the interview. The interviewer lady gave us a brief description of the job description. Basically, she tried to embellish her words to hide the fact that you do not get the advertised $11- $17 a day you saw on the craigslist post.

Apparently, there is a quota you have to meet before you get that much. Otherwise, you get (according to her) "no less than minimum wage." Which basically means they're only willing to give the exact minimum wage -________-

We had to make a phone call to the governor's office and leave a message about banning fracking. It was quite awkward. I thought that the job was going to be actually working outside in the environment or doing an eco-friendly project, but apparently, the most important "job" is to ask people for money...

I was very disappointed that this was all we were going to do and it showed during my individual interview. They were not willing to be flexible for work hours either. They said 9am to 6 or 7pm I think. At that point, I didn't want the job any more. She said I would be contacted if they picked me. Overall it was a bad experience. I felt like it was a waste of time.

Canvasser Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest.

contact through phone and went in for an interview. Nothing too difficult, they're just trying to see if you're an out going person that can go door-to-door to ask for money

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Interviewed in person with Assistant National Canvass Director a couple of weeks after starting as a Field Manager. Interview was very casual in nature and was basically a prolonged conversation. Typical interview questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "what is your biggest weakness". Lasted about 20 minutes and I received an offer in about a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in May 2012.

The process was really quick. I had a 10 minute conversation over the phone with a representative, then went in for an in-person interview. They asked pretty basic questions about my work experience and goals.

The interviewer was awesome, very personable and I was comfortable talking with them from the very beginning. It was an overall great experience, easy and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • The ways in which I coped with failure, as this was something that definitely pertains to the canvassing job.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Fund for the Public Interest in September 2012.

The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. After applying they'll phone you and ask about what you have been up to recently, you will then be called in to interview where The interview process is very informal with the ability to answer some very basic and typical interview questions. You are not asked to dress formally or even business casual. They are looking to hire as many people as possible, so don't be an idiot and you should at least get the job, whether or not you take it is another thing.

Interview Questions
    • There is one question based on what you would say if someone you canvass asks you a difficult question. I didn't know the answer and said as such... the interviewer told me not to worry about it and gave me all the information to for my first day of observation, which is a day where you shadow a "trainer" (a.k.a. a slightly experienced canvasser that'll say everything they want you to say to a newbie)   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they pay $8 an hour if you don't hit the weekly quota, %10 an hour if you do and you make 35% of everything above quota.