The Gap

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in October 2011.

I applied online, and a few days later I got an interview with my current GM. A few days later, she called me back to schedule a second interview, this time with the GM of another store. After that, I simply had to pass a background check, and I was offered the job.

The interviews were held on a bench out in the mall. While not entirely private, this way no other employees of the store would disturb my GM with questions. My first interview was as much informational as it was about hiring - I learned about the job requirements and the store experience, as well as discussing future career options with my GM.

The second interview was more difficult. This other GM who conducted the interview was more harsh and less conversational. I think the questions there were designed to put pressure on me and see if I was able to keep a professional demeanor while under stress.

Each interview was 30-45 minutes long. There are prepared questions that must be asked of anyone applying for an assistant manager position, as well as room for the interviewer to go more in depth.

Interview Questions
  • I was given scenarios involving scheduling, deployment, and other daily leadership tasks.   View Answer
I did not negotiate. I never even considered negotiation because I was desperate for a job at that point in my life. I was offered an hourly wage plus benefits, over the phone, and I accepted verbally.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Gap in April 2010.

First off you have to go through a background check and a company checklist through their system. Once a potential applicant passes that then they will be called in for an interview. This can take a few weeks but most don't. Once in the interview the store manager, and/ or the district manager will ask you your experience, and what make this job for you. Almost always they will try to get to know you on a personal level in order to see if you would fit in the "Gap" culture. Usually it means that you need to be upbeat, happy and willing to learn, although most managers have different standards. If you are there for more than a half an hour then this is a good thing. Once that interview and if the district manager is not present you will probably be called back to do a second interview usually over the phone as they are busy.

Interview Questions
    • From coming in this store today what would you change to make this store even better than it is now?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

Applied online and got a call about a week later. Set up an interview and was asked a bunch of your basic interview questions. Interview was easy just want to see that you have the skills they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    Yes was able to negotiate and was given close to what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in February 2011.

Was pretty hard, They put you through couple interviews with different managers only because they are looking for the right people.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult question. If you have a good experience in retail and customer service nothing to be afraid of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluffton, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bluffton, SC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap in May 2009.

Asked me specific questions about work ethic, gave me scenarios, and asked about strengths/weaknesses.