The Gap

The Gap Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

2.5

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I went to the mall, walking store to store to see if they were hiring. As I entered GAP I happened to run into the manager, introduced myself, and asked if they were hiring. They took down my name and number, told me to apply online, and said they will call for an interview in a week.
    The application process was easy, although I was scared because GAP would be my first job. It gives you a place to put your resume and asks you situation questions. I recommend reading the job requirements before doing the application because they helped me learn GAP goals.
    After not getting called back for a week, I decided to call to see if the position was still opened. I called at 8:00pm, an hour before closing, and said I was "doing a followup to check the status of my application." The hiring manager was not there so they took down my name and number, and around noon the next day I got a call to come in for an interview.
    The interview process was definitely interesting. I wore a dress with a cardigan and sandals, and to be honest I feel a bit too dressed up. However the hiring manager told me she loved my outfit and that GAP loves dresses. The questions were simple at first, from "Tell me about yourself?" "What is your avaliability?" "Why did you chose the GAP?" and "Tell me about your previous work experiences." However, I was a bit thrown off when asked to describe and try to sell my outfit to the manager, although I think I did well. I recommend talking a lot about community service even if you don't have work experience, as GAP does a lot to give back. I also read up on policies and things GAP does such as support workers right, women's wages, service and being green. I have to say the biggest curve ball was being asked to grab a walkie, stand in front of the store, and pretend to be an employee. I was terrified and didnt know what to do, so I cleaned, greeted customers, and asked the manager if he needed help as he was walking past with a handful of clothing. Although I thought the interview went well overall, the last part scared me to death. I was told I would be called in a week.
    I was soooo stressed after the interview, as it had been my first, yet I knew I tried my hardest and felt comfortable with the laid back yet professional work enviroment I had experienced. Thankfully I recieved a call after 6 days asking if I would accept the job for 8.50$ and hour and was invited for orientation the next day.
    Overall, I feel that GAP is a great buisness with much to offer, even as a first job for younger people. The workers I met have all been kind, funny, and hard-working, and the managers have all been friendly and are not mean or snobby. I cannot wait to start my new job and wish the best in the process for all of you looking this up because you're freaking out as much as I was!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself"
      "What hours would work for you?"
      "Why did you chose the GAP?"
      "Tell me about your previous work experiences"
      "Try to sell your outfit to me"
      **"Pretend to be a Gap employee"

Answer Question
    I settled for 8.50$, did not even try to negotiate.

Stock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in February 2014.

The hiring process took about a week. It was a group interview, you sat down in a group in the back of the store room, then the manager asked us to interview each other. We interviewed our partners and expressed the knowledge we obtained to the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you need to express leadership skills that benefited the team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in November 2012.

The hiring process begins online, there's no type of in-store application. Although you could try and speak to a manager and try to score some brownie points with them before applying.

The interview was fairly easy, straight forward behavioral and circumstantial questions. I only answered about 3 questions before the manager said I was perfect for the position.

Interview Questions
    • It didn't happen in my case, but depending on the hiring manager at the time you may be asked to go out onto the floor and assemble an outfit you think someone would buy.   Answer Question
    Before the offer is official, the manager will ask you if the the schedule you provided in your application is current and if it is not then when can you work. If the schedule fits the needs of the company then they will hire you on the spot and tell you when to return for orientation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in July 2012.

I submitted my application and resume on line. I was then contacted by a manager of the store I applied to and asked to come in for a group interview and was given a choice of two times on the same day. There was a group of about 8 people and we all sat around a table and talked with the manager. She asked about our experience and our ideas about Gap. We were asked about how we would deal with certain situations or customers.

Interview Questions
    • At one point in the group interview we were asked to go on the sales floor and pick an outfit and then to sell it to the manager. In the group setting it was important to make yourself heard without being obnoxious.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was told what my hourly wage would be.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap in December 2011.

It was fun. I really enjoyed the entire process and can't wait to do it again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

Applied online few days later received an email to schedule a interview replied to the email minutes later. Got to the interview 30 minutes early so I browsed the store. Went to the interview spot with six others. Doing name check my name was not on the list but she let me stay and be interviewed. Started off with why do you want to work for Gap. I volunteered first and we continued with different interview questions. She gave us 10 minutes to pick out a outfit and 1 item that you don't like and sale it to the crowd. After that we wrote down the time we were available. I was actually surprised to receive a email offering me the position because after my name wasnt on the list I had the whatever attitude and didnt care if I got it or not.

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

I was an internal candidate for the position and I applied online. I interviewed with my District Manager and a General Manager from another store. The questions were pretty straightforward about my experience with the Gap and what I had to offer in this position. There were a lot of business questions and customer experience questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a leadership decision you recently had to make.   View Answer

Stock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in July 2011.

I was interviewed with a group of people who were mostly highly qualified. The experience was pretty intimidating. However, this kind of interview allows you to buy more time in order to answer the questions better. The last part was to choose clothing items for head to toe to create a signature outfit that represents yourself and its purpose (i.e. date, hanging out with friends, concert, clubbing, barhopping etc)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap in October 2010.

I was sent an email letting me know the were interested in interviewing me, I had to send a date and time I coud do it, when I got there I was shocked. It was a group interview I had did for the first time. I hated it, you have to really sale yourself and be upfront and aggressive for the job. I had peopole answering over me and was not at ease when I left. I knew I would not get a job offer. Basically bad

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

It went very smoothly. Asked simple questions that each candidate had to answer. Not too many behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you experienced the best customer service.   Answer Question
    • Whats the difference between sales and service?   Answer Question