The Gap

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in November 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process begins online, there's no type of in-store application. Although you could try and speak to a manager and try to score some brownie points with them before applying.

The interview was fairly easy, straight forward behavioral and circumstantial questions. I only answered about 3 questions before the manager said I was perfect for the position.

Interview Question – It didn't happen in my case, but depending on the hiring manager at the time you may be asked to go out onto the floor and assemble an outfit you think someone would buy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Before the offer is official, the manager will ask you if the the schedule you provided in your application is current and if it is not then when can you work. If the schedule fits the needs of the company then they will hire you on the spot and tell you when to return for orientation.

Stock Associate Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in February 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process took about a week. It was a group interview, you sat down in a group in the back of the store room, then the manager asked us to interview each other. We interviewed our partners and expressed the knowledge we obtained to the interviewer.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you need to express leadership skills that benefited the team?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in July 2009.

Interview Details – Manager was very professional, validated herself by letting me know she had been with the company since she was 15 years old. The interview lasted 15 minutes and and offer was made.

Negotiation Details – I had 10+ years in retail, had owned my own business but there was no room to negotiate for starting base hourly. Thank god I only needed to work part time for some extra money.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application and resume on line. I was then contacted by a manager of the store I applied to and asked to come in for a group interview and was given a choice of two times on the same day. There was a group of about 8 people and we all sat around a table and talked with the manager. She asked about our experience and our ideas about Gap. We were asked about how we would deal with certain situations or customers.

Interview Question – At one point in the group interview we were asked to go on the sales floor and pick an outfit and then to sell it to the manager. In the group setting it was important to make yourself heard without being obnoxious.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was told what my hourly wage would be.

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was an internal candidate for the position and I applied online. I interviewed with my District Manager and a General Manager from another store. The questions were pretty straightforward about my experience with the Gap and what I had to offer in this position. There were a lot of business questions and customer experience questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a leadership decision you recently had to make.   View Answer

Stock Associate Interview

Stock Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed with a group of people who were mostly highly qualified. The experience was pretty intimidating. However, this kind of interview allows you to buy more time in order to answer the questions better. The last part was to choose clothing items for head to toe to create a signature outfit that represents yourself and its purpose (i.e. date, hanging out with friends, concert, clubbing, barhopping etc)

Interview Question – What's your work background?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

General Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in December 2011.

Interview Details – It was fun. I really enjoyed the entire process and can't wait to do it again.

Interview Question – Are you excited about this opportunity?   Answer Question

Schaumburg, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in May 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed 2 times, by two different managers. One was more responsbile for store design and one for customer experience. The customer experience manager asked me more about my skills in making clothing sales. He would pick up an item in the store and say "sell me this". The store design manager was more focused on my fashion sense.

Interview Question – "Sell me this _____"   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online few days later received an email to schedule a interview replied to the email minutes later. Got to the interview 30 minutes early so I browsed the store. Went to the interview spot with six others. Doing name check my name was not on the list but she let me stay and be interviewed. Started off with why do you want to work for Gap. I volunteered first and we continued with different interview questions. She gave us 10 minutes to pick out a outfit and 1 item that you don't like and sale it to the crowd. After that we wrote down the time we were available. I was actually surprised to receive a email offering me the position because after my name wasnt on the list I had the whatever attitude and didnt care if I got it or not.

Interview Questions

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in December 2009.

Interview Details – It was a very easy interview. I basically met with the store manager, and they asked me about some of my previous work experience and my availability. Nothing too difficult. Plus, the manager was very nice and made me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.