The Gap

Updated Jan 31, 2015
Updated Jan 31, 2015

1.9

Gap Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in January 2015.

I applied online more than once and to several adds across a period of time, so I don't know how long it really took to get a call back, But I did get a call for an interview. It was a group interview with me and 3 other girls.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Gap Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

I was called about a month later after applying online for the job. It was a group interview and very laid back. It was nice because the manager made us feel comfortable and it made it easy to answer the questions being asked, I wore a dress but so e of the people wore jeans,they don't seem too strict about the dress code. We got asked questions like why we love gap ect. Plus questions that related to how we acted in difficult situations like working with someone we didn't like ect.

Gap Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Gap.

I went into the store to get an application and they interviewed me on the spot. They told me to then go home and apply online. After my application was done online I was to call the store to tell them that I had finished the application online. Then they told me my schedule and I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me a outfit. Go find a outfit around the store and sell it to me.   Answer Question
    None it was my first job and I was still in Highschool at the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

I applied online and waited a week to call and asked if they were still hiring. I was put on hold for 5 minutes (I assumed she was pulling up my application), when she came back to the phone she asked me to come in the next day. The interview was less than 20 minutes and in a sitting area outside the store. I interviewed with another person. She was very lax and cool.She asked us a few questions about our previous experiences and availability and talked about Gap's flexibility in terms of schedule.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer didn't like a product? ( After telling her about the most common complaints from customers from my old job)   View Answer
    Didnt have retail experience but asked for $2 more, they accepted because I argued for my customer service skills

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online in late July and about a week later received a call to schedule an Interview. I missed the initial call, but called back about 45 minutes later to speak to the hiring manager. The hiring manager picked up but then told me she was very busy and asked if she could call back in half an hour. I ended up waiting three hours for her to call me back before calling again only to find the store was now closed. I called the next morning and scheduled and interview for Friday of that week. I came in for a one on one interview with the hiring manager and we sat on a bench outside the store. She seemed enthusiastic to talk about herself, her position and the store but when it came time to asking me questions, seemed entirely disinterested, showed no emotion, and actually spent a lot of time glancing into the store. The questions were not too difficult, but I the manager's demeanor to be a bit discouraging. The last step of the interview was picking out an outfit and describing an occasion for which it could be worn, but by that point it was pretty clear the manager was not at all interested.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the store if no customers came in all day?   Answer Question

Gap Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap.

There can be one on one interviews if someone recommended you. It was a breeze since I didnt have to go through the group interview. After hired you go into the orientation right away which was easy didnt have to wait too long.

Interview Questions
    Real easy going had an one on one interview rather than group interview so I was able to negotiate my pay .

Gap Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap in April 2012.

I received a call for the initial over the phone interview, I had applied about six months earlier. So I almost forgot I had applied. It was a group interview there were about eight of us, they asked a question and you voluntarily answered. I tried to be the first to answer the first question and then second on the others and pull together my thoughts while the others fought to be the first on the next question. I had already established myself as a leader on that first question. I could see by the looks on their faces, they wish they had been first and they will be first next time.

Interview Questions
    • Recall a time when you had a difficult customer how did you deal with them?   Answer Question
    I accepted the offer as presented.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Gap in August 2011.

The interview process was easy - the interviewer was a manager about to leave so she seemed to be sold on anyone who acted enthusiastic, and wanted to just fill the positions, she did not have a fashion background. It was a group interview of 3 people. The only thing somewhat unique for an interview of this position status was to have us pick out/style an outfit on the floor and then explain why we chose the items we did.

The interview was scheduled before the store opened, and I had to call and enter from the shipping entrance in the back. She wanted all the interviewees to meet the GM so we had to come back 3 hours later because the GM wasn't there yet. Once meeting the GM she told us about the company and asked us about our background in customer service, then asked us if we had questions, we all asked one to two.

24 hours later I got a call from the manager saying they would love me to work for them, and was scheduled the following morning at midnight to help fold the new merchandise; she explained it was a seasonal shift were all employees were scheduled to help the stock and merchandise team, but it would be the last one because the company was making cut backs on hours. My next shift was a day after at 4PM for 3 hours. Me and the two other girls were all hired. I stayed the longest and got a promotion to Project LA Stylist, and had room to exercise my talents in merchandising with the visual team.

Interview Questions
    • We had to pick out an outfit and say why we picked it (as stated above)   View Answer
    They said they would start me at $10/hr and that was the max. 4-6 months later I got promotion to $13/hr to fulfill new position of Project LA Stylist. They go by experience, competitive pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in July 2010.

First, we submit an application in person which you can probably do online now. I applied for the Summer season. All of the candidates meet to have a huge group interview. We all sit in a circle and we introduce ourselves. The manager will ask some questions and you raise your answers to participate. Then they call you back and give you an offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Management comes up with an hourly wage.