The Gap Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Flatbush, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flatbush, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Regular retail questions. You apply online and they will call you. It is easy. Just dont be nervous. Sometimes it is group interview sometimes they are one on one interview.

No negotiation.

Gap Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap.

I went into the store to get an application and they interviewed me on the spot. They told me to then go home and apply online. After my application was done online I was to call the store to tell them that I had finished the application online. Then they told me my schedule and I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me a outfit. Go find a outfit around the store and sell it to me.   Answer Question
    None it was my first job and I was still in Highschool at the time.

Associate Visual Merchandiser Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap.

Phone interview, In-Person Interview including at home project and on site project. All interviews are all about personality plus presentation skills. Individuals should be articulate and polished skills. As well as be a proactive thinker and creative. Good business acumen a plus.

Merchandise Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fishkill, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishkill, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

So pretty much my sister boyfriend told me that the gap distribution was hiring and so I went in person to apply and filled out a job application and then right after I got done I was interviewed then I passed the first interview which was your typical one on one interview and so then I went back a week later for the second interview which was a group interview/ getting a tour of place and so many people were there to the point to where they had to split all of us up into three different groups and so once you got with your group one of the workers lead you on a quick tour of the place and then brought you into a room where another lady was waiting for you guys and so they both interviewed you but they give you three cards to read and respond with your answer and right after the group interview was done they both stepped out of the room for a bit to discuss about who they want to keep and who they want to let go and so then they both came back in and one of the lady's asked for two people to step into the hallway with her and the other lady stayed with me and the rest of the group and so the lady who stepped out into the hallway told the two people that they didn't get the job and once she came back she told all of us that we had just gotten hired and so we went upstairs into another room to fill out tax information paperwork and payroll paperwork and to also get our orientation date and our hours and so after that was all done they told us that we have 24 hours to get drug tested otherwise they take the offer back if we don't get drug tested within the next 24 hours

Gap Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

I applied online and waited a week to call and asked if they were still hiring. I was put on hold for 5 minutes (I assumed she was pulling up my application), when she came back to the phone she asked me to come in the next day. The interview was less than 20 minutes and in a sitting area outside the store. I interviewed with another person. She was very lax and cool.She asked us a few questions about our previous experiences and availability and talked about Gap's flexibility in terms of schedule.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer didn't like a product? ( After telling her about the most common complaints from customers from my old job)   View Answer
    Didnt have retail experience but asked for $2 more, they accepted because I argued for my customer service skills

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Franklin, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Initially I was interview by the scheduling manager. He asked a few questions about my prior experience. As well as a few situational questions. It was very lax and I wore clothes that would be appropriate for working there. He offered me a hourly wage of $10.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do?" type of questions such if you see a fellow employee stealing, what the protocol should be.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Pretty generic interview questions that can be prepared beforehand, i.e. greatest strength and weakness, how you deal with difficult situations, etc. I was contacted for an interview and hired within 2 weeks or so.

General Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

The hiring and interview process was ridiculously long, over a month with three separate interviews all encompassing the same questions. Towards the end I almost just accepted a different offer from another company because I was tired of waiting on them.

Interview Questions
    The salary negation phase was easy and quick and at the very end of the process.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and was contacted about a week later to schedule an interview. I went there for the interview and we interviewed in the back break room. The questions were questions that I have not been previously asked ever before, so I was thrown off and even more nervous than before. The employer did not seem happy to be in the interview, and seemed like she had someplace else to be, but still asked a ton of questions due to policy, I'm guessing.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a mistake that you've made, tell what it was, and explain how you handled it.   Answer Question

Associate Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and the process took a little over a month. I had 2 phone interviews and 3 onsite interviews, although I believe I came in more than usual. The recruiting coordinator said most people come in 1 or 2 times and apologized that there were scheduling conflicts. Met with a total of 6 people for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. Just be able to explain your experience and walk through your resume really well. They asked the usual behavioral questions as well as specific questions about your experience for the position. The job description was pretty indicative of the position-related questions they asked.   Answer Question
    The offer was much lower than I expected. I negotiated and got a minimal amount above the original offer. I should have waited a few days and asked them to go back to their compensation analysts.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!