The Gap

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.4

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

Applied online. Received a phone call 2-3 weeks later saying I had an interview the following Monday. On Monday I received a call that went to voicemail that morning saying the interview was cancelled and they would call me back "later" to set up another time. I returned the call to confirm I had received the message.

6 weeks go by. Never heard from them. I did not bother to contact them again because I did not want to seem desperate, and I was not desperate for the job. I thought if they were interested they would have just hired me, so they probably found someone else. Still annoying to be left on the hook like that.

But one day, somewhere in the middle of week 6, I get a call saying they'd like to interview me the following day. I go to the interview, seriously took less than 10 minutes and was mostly an explanation of the company and store. Only question I remember being asked is what my sense of style was and how I got it. I was also asked about availability. I was told I was a good fit and they would see how many people they were hiring and if there was room for me, they'd run a background check and hire me. I didn't expect to hear from them again, my last 3 interviews at other companies had said the same thing at the end, just to kinda let me down easily.

A week later I got a call saying I had the job and needed to come the next day to fill out paperwork. We set up a time, and I arrived in the store only about 1 minute late. I waited 20 minutes for the assistant manager, and filling out the paperwork took 30 minutes. Then, I was told I'd be called over the weekend with a time to train before the holiday rush, probably sometime the following Monday, which was 4 days before the rush.

Sunday afternoon and I had not heard anything. So I called, and was told they'd have a time Monday morning at 9:00 a.m.

Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. I called only to be told I'd be called back later with a time I could train with a few other new-hires.

Monday at 4:30 p.m. I had not heard, so I called back. They were shocked I hadn't been called, but then again no one else had either. I was told I'd be called "later."

Monday is over now, still waiting to get a time to be trained. If the work schedule continues on in this fashion, I will be resigning probably after the first paycheck, if I ever see one. I cannot put everything in my life on hold everyday because I "might" have to work. It's ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions, only asked about sense of fashion.   Answer Question
    $8.50/hr for seasonal sales associates, raises post holiday season.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I was hired within a week of my interview. The interview was quick simple questions and it was one on on. Questions surrounded working in a fast pace environment and selling store card.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Gap.

It was a group interview, we were told to first pick out an outfit for a blind date occasion. We were then taken to a room and asked to share why you picked that outfit. After that, there was two hiring managers there to ask everyone questions such as, what the gap means to you, share a good customer service experience and wheres your favorite place to shop and why. For the interview, it was very casual and fun, the managers were really nice and funny. I wore jeans, heels, and a gap sweater and gap blazer with accessories. They said the starting salary was 9.00 and hour.

Interview Questions
    • What the gap means to you, share a good customer service experience, and explain what good customer service means to you, explain a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it, and wheres your favorite place to shop and why.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

The interview was in a group with two other people. Dress attire was laid back, there were no requirements so I'd just dress as if I were working at The Gap currently. Everything was pretty chill, they placed us in the back, past the dressing rooms in these individual rooms surrounded by inventory boxes. "Just be yourself" is as much advice as I can give, just be natural. They'll ask about previous situations, and about yourself later on in the individual portion. I was told they'd call within the week, but don't sweat it.

Retail Management Program - RMP Interview

I have been an employee in a store for one of Gap Inc's brands for the past few years and have taken every opportunity that came my way--so why not apply for a corporate position? After submitting my application, I was contacted the next day to schedule a phone interview; the only times I had to choose from were all within 24 hours. The phone interviewer was very serious which made it hard to gauge how I was doing. One thing I did not like was that I was told more than once that store employees do not always do well in an office environment without the immediate feedback of the customers. My interviewer told me that people who work in stores might know what the customers want in the stores that day/season but that doesn't mean they can predict what they want in the future. My feeling is: who better can predict the trends of the customer than someone who has spent time working in the stores? This really bothered me because the stores are told to advertise for the RMP program and encourage their employees to apply.

2 days later I received an e-mail in the afternoon telling me that I needed to complete some online assessments by the end of the night; I was closing that night and would arrive home until around midnight. I e-mailed about an extension and the response was "as long as we have it before we come to work in the morning in San Francisco". Since they didn't give an exact time, I thought it better to just stay up late and do the assessments. I just didn't understand the need for all the rush- even with the phone interview!

I did make it to the 2nd round which was a video presentation over Skype. Overall, I thought my presentation went well and I was able to respond to the interviewers questions. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I would make it to the next round or not. What I did not like was that they did not get back to me until a week later than what they had told me. The recruiter left a message asking me to call back and, if they weren't available, to leave a message saying whether or not they could leave a message with my status. I called back promptly and left a message..then I left another one... I didn't get a call back for 3 days. I did not make it to the 3rd round of interviews.

The feedback I got was that they were looking for people with business and financial experience. They would have liked for my presentation to include more information about financials. Again, there was mention that people that perform strongly in the stores do not always work well in corporate. I did appreciate the feedback but I think that should have been reflected in the description of the program and written in the minimum qualifications especially since there are a lot of store employees applying.

I write this primarily to help other sales associates who are interested in applying to this program. With the high volume of markdowns and addition percent off sales at Gap, maybe people in the stores might have better luck at figuring out what the customers want! Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • What does financial success look like for a new brand in its first year? Use numbers and be specific.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online online, and got a call the next day but had missed the initial call. After calling and leaving my name I received a call a week later asking for me to come in an interview a couple days later in the afternoon. I went in and there was another person being interviewed with me, The interview last a half hour and was held in the backroom. All the questions were regular interview questions, and the manager was really nice and made the interview comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your work experience.
      What are two words to describe you?
      Do you keep up on fashion trends?
      What would you call your style?
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap.

The hiring process was fairly easy. I applied and they called me the following day to schedule a interview. It was a group interview so it was easy to do role play and they just asked the basics such as what are your plans for the future? What do you know about The Gap?

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were pretty easy, nothing out of the ordinary pertaining to retail.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

The application was longer than I thought it would be. It requires basic info, name, DOB, etc, but then you have to take their assessment to see if you are right for the position. It was okay though, it almost felt like an interview. it gives you different situations with five different responses and you say if you would do or wouldn't do that response, then you pick the worst and best response.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer wanted to return an item later than policy allows, and then gets violent/loud when you say it is against policy?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

I applied online to Baby Gap/ Gap Kids in Arcadia, CA, around late October and received a call 2 weeks after for a group interview. The hiring manager basically told us this was going to be the easiest and quickest interview ever and said that we are all already hired for the holiday season. The pay is $9.25. It was a group of 6 including myself. We were selected based on our survey/behavioral test that was part of the online application. Orientation was that same week for 2 hours filling out paper work and watching two discs of company policy, loss prevention, etc. We also toured the store and were given our employee IDs. The Gap card is important for commission and must be informed to every customer as a cashier or as a sales associate helping with fitting rooms etc. Waiting for my first official day!

Dress code is no sandals, no logos, no crop tops, and no hoodies. Jewelry, sneakers, and practically anything is allowed as long as it's appropriate for the season.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • In the video one question we were quizzed on was: What is EAS?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

The process took two days. I walked in the store and asked if they were hiring. The manager asked me to come in the next day for and interview and I got hired on the spot. I was actually expecting a group interview, but I ended up having a one on one interview. The questions were pretty simple, such as "Describe the position you held at your last job." "Why do you want to work at The Gap?" "What do you hope to gain from The Gap?"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular was difficult. She did ask if I had any questions, so perhaps have something planned to ask.   Answer Question
    I named my price and she accepted. It will help if you mention how the company is raising its minimum wage in 2015 to $10 an hour.