The Gap Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
544 interviews

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call the next day to set up an interview. The call was confusing because she asked me about my availability and even though I told her she was still confused on the hours that I could work. When it was time for the interview, she asked a lot of the basic questions. This was my 1st ever interview and I was kind of surprised when she made me go out on the floor and pretend to help people out. After the interview was done, she said that she would call the next day, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • Either having to go out on the floor or what was the worst type of customer service you've had?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coconut Grove, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coconut Grove, FL

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Gap in November 2011.

Group panel with about 8-9 others and the manager asks you questions about why you chose working for Gap, what do you like best about the clothes. It's a first come first serve answer approach but it was best if you showed immediate interest in answering instead of being the last and let everyone else answer before you.

Interview Questions
    • Giving a good sales pitch for advertising what you were wearing in the interview.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call the very next day. The phone call lasted 5-10 minutes, and just went over a couple basic things from a prior retail job I had. Two days later, I was scheduled for an in person interview. That one lasted about an hour, with the same person who did my phone interview. It was very easy and laid back, but it may have helped that I am familiar with the brand, love fashion, and have several years of retail experience. I had to wait for the required background check to go through. Exactly one week after my in person interview, I got a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a pair of jeans that you had never seen or even touched until that moment to a customer who was interested?   View Answer

Gap Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in August 2011.

The interview process was easy - the interviewer was a manager about to leave so she seemed to be sold on anyone who acted enthusiastic, and wanted to just fill the positions, she did not have a fashion background. It was a group interview of 3 people. The only thing somewhat unique for an interview of this position status was to have us pick out/style an outfit on the floor and then explain why we chose the items we did.

The interview was scheduled before the store opened, and I had to call and enter from the shipping entrance in the back. She wanted all the interviewees to meet the GM so we had to come back 3 hours later because the GM wasn't there yet. Once meeting the GM she told us about the company and asked us about our background in customer service, then asked us if we had questions, we all asked one to two.

24 hours later I got a call from the manager saying they would love me to work for them, and was scheduled the following morning at midnight to help fold the new merchandise; she explained it was a seasonal shift were all employees were scheduled to help the stock and merchandise team, but it would be the last one because the company was making cut backs on hours. My next shift was a day after at 4PM for 3 hours. Me and the two other girls were all hired. I stayed the longest and got a promotion to Project LA Stylist, and had room to exercise my talents in merchandising with the visual team.

Interview Questions
    • We had to pick out an outfit and say why we picked it (as stated above)   View Answer
    They said they would start me at $10/hr and that was the max. 4-6 months later I got promotion to $13/hr to fulfill new position of Project LA Stylist. They go by experience, competitive pay.

Store Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocklin, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

I was interviewed over the phone by my contractor, and then referred to the Gap. I met for an in person interview with about three other candidates present. We were interviewed one at a time, and then went on our way. I received an email within two days offering me the position. Of the three of us that were interviewed that day, myself and one other individual were in the training class.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how my indirect support of cell phones would make me a good candidate for troubleshooting store technology problems.   View Answer
    This was a contracted position, and starting at 18.00 per hour, it outpayed most other similar positions. There was no negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Pretty generic interview questions that can be prepared beforehand, i.e. greatest strength and weakness, how you deal with difficult situations, etc. I was contacted for an interview and hired within 2 weeks or so.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and was contacted about a week later to schedule an interview. I went there for the interview and we interviewed in the back break room. The questions were questions that I have not been previously asked ever before, so I was thrown off and even more nervous than before. The employer did not seem happy to be in the interview, and seemed like she had someplace else to be, but still asked a ton of questions due to policy, I'm guessing.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a mistake that you've made, tell what it was, and explain how you handled it.   Answer Question

Seasonal Call Center/Bilingual Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocklin, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online after a lady at work told me they were hiring for bilingual positions. I will admit that I paid little attention to which position I was applying for, and was given a surprise at the end, will explain. I believed I was applying to be a temporary, seasonal call center (Phone-answerer). I received a phone call about 8-9 days afterwards, requesting a brief phone interview. It took about 15-20 minutes and I was invited to a group interview at the end. During this phone interview, the HR lady went over some basic details of the job (it is temporary, can be either day time or night time, must work one weekend day each week) and asked me if I was okay with these details. She told me when training was to start and if I had any travel plans for those dates. Here are the phone interview questions:
        *Rate 1-5, your ability working with (Word, Excel, shifting between screens and keyboarding)
        *What steps do you use to handle technical browser problems?
        *How would you ensure customers receive a world-class experience when there are multiple calls
         coming in for you to get to?
        *Describe a time you went beyond to help a customer during a non-stressful time and then a
         stressful time

After these questions, I was invited to the next step, which was a group interview. Scheduling was very flexible and the people were friendly. There were 9 interviewees (all female between the ages of 18ish to 34ish for whatever reason). Apparently, I was mixed up among people who were interviewing for the Call Center position, as to the reason why I was still thinking I was one of them. The group interview started off with a brief introduction about the job and what they are looking for. All questions were projected onto a large screen on the wall in PowerPoint. The questions were read aloud to us and we were able to choose what order we would like to respond in. We basically just raised our hand when we had our responses ready. It was an easy interview format because you were able to observe everybody else's responses and techniques. There were 4 panel members who basically just took notes and read the questions aloud. Here are the group interview questions:
       *Tell us about yourself and why you would be an asset to our company
       *What skills do you believe are important to provide excellent customer service, and provide an
        example of a time you demonstrated them.
       *Describe a time when you had to deliver a difficult response to a customer. What was your
        approach and what was the outcome?
        of the information. What steps did you follow to obtain the information and what was the result?
       *Describe your strengths when working with others and give an example
       *We want to be America's favorite style, so what is your favorite style and why?

We were told that we would hear back from them between 5-7 days with their decision. I heard back in 2 business days, interview was on Thursday morning and I received a phone call on Monday at 9 am, saying that I needed to move on to the bilingual interview and that a lady would call me at a certain time. I did not receive this call until Tuesday morning, but there were only two Spanish questions:
       *How long have you been speaking Spanish
       *Have you ever worked in a position that required Spanish skills

I do not remember if I was notified that day or the following day about my success, but either way, I was contacted by an HR Manager and told that she would get back to me once she had my schedule figured out and that after that, I would need to stop by and fill out paperwork and perform a drug screening. It was when I stopped by to fill out the initial paperwork that I read on my job offer that I was not a seasonal call center work, but instead a customer service consultant, which is a regular, full-time position. The schedule for this position is not flexible, instead it is a take-it-or-leave-it. Salary was not negotiable, but I have a compensation review scheduled in about 6 months. Throughout the initial phone interview and the group interview, it was stated that this was a temporary, seasonal positions, so apparently, I applied for this customer service (regular, full-time job), yet I was being interviewed along with the call center/seasonal workers, and given the same information and same interviews. I imagine these interviewers did not know that I was applying for a different position, or they did not have the time to separate us into different groups. They were looking to hire hundreds of seasonal people, so I guess I just got lumped in with them all, which worked out fine because the interviews were very easy, no references were needed.

Interview Questions
    • *Give an example of a time where you resolved a problem for a customer when you did not have all
        Answer Question

Gap Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online in late July and about a week later received a call to schedule an Interview. I missed the initial call, but called back about 45 minutes later to speak to the hiring manager. The hiring manager picked up but then told me she was very busy and asked if she could call back in half an hour. I ended up waiting three hours for her to call me back before calling again only to find the store was now closed. I called the next morning and scheduled and interview for Friday of that week. I came in for a one on one interview with the hiring manager and we sat on a bench outside the store. She seemed enthusiastic to talk about herself, her position and the store but when it came time to asking me questions, seemed entirely disinterested, showed no emotion, and actually spent a lot of time glancing into the store. The questions were not too difficult, but I the manager's demeanor to be a bit discouraging. The last step of the interview was picking out an outfit and describing an occasion for which it could be worn, but by that point it was pretty clear the manager was not at all interested.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the store if no customers came in all day?   Answer Question

Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocklin, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

Applied online in June and they called me for a phone interview in late July. After the phone interview, (which consisted of a few questions on what I thought "good" customer service was), I was asked to come in for a group interview. The group was made up of 7 people, including myself. There were 2 HR managers and 2 shift supervisors sitting on one side of the table and the 7 of us were seated on the opposite side. They asked us about 5 questions where we had to provide specific examples about when we helped a customer, when we needed to ask a manager for help, etc. The last question was easy. It was "What is your favorite/go-to style and why?".

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific time where you had to provide a disgruntled customer with excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • What two outstanding qualities do you think you have that set you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question
    Started me at $11.25 an hour and working 5 days a week. No negotiation.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!