The Gap

479 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Boca Raton, FL

I interviewed at The Gap in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy interview process. Common sense questions that are not difficult to figure out the appropriate answer. It was done on a bench in the middle of the loud mall. Not very professional or intimidating. Anyone with work experience can get through the interview process with no problem.

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Interview Details – applied online and got called in for an interview the same week. the interview itself took no more than 20 minutes and that included the manager offering me the job. i had to ask the rate they were going to pay me because she forgot to mention it but i felt i sounded so forwarding and up front but it didn't hurt because i found out she matched my rate from my previous employer although i later found out that the starting rate was supposed to be much lower. the interview questions included what i knew about the gap as a brand and why i chose to apply there. i got told to come back the next day i believe but right when i was at the parking lot, i got a call from the same manager apologizing and that she needed to postpone doing the paper works because she got confused with her own schedule. hiring process was quick and was finished within a matter of days.

Interview Question – i don't remember a difficult or unexpected question, just the usual retail job interview, one asking about customers and maybe one other question with a situation given to me and what i would do or what i've done if that's happened to me before.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – i was hired after the interview and after the manager talked about the gap company and their vision, it was during the decline of gap a couple of years ago and they were going through a revising of where they're trying to go with the gap brand. they matched my rate from my previous employer and i accepted after having to ask what my rate was after being offered the job since the manager forgot to mention it.

Gap Outlet Sales Associate Interview

Terrell, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details – Called me late in the evening the day before the interview to request that I show up for the interview, got to the interview and waited for fifteen minutes before the manager took us to the back room. It was a group interview, she asked us a few basic questions like "Describe a time you were under pressure." etc. It wasn't impressive, but not bad by any means.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you had to lead multiple people."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Basically, she just called me up and offered me the position at $7.65/hr. There was no negotiation, she said that $7.65 is all I was getting, take it or leave it.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brea, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was a group interview and the manager was laid back, which made the other laid back and unfortunately most of them became unprofessional. I recommend you still stay professional, don't ever interrupt the manager and answer the questions honestly.

Interview Question – I think it was "Tell me why I should hire you"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation phase, I took the offer as it was

Washington, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2012.

Interview Details – This was the first job I ever had and was the time when online applications was starting to boom. I went to the store and spoke to a manager who referred me to the site with a code also. I made an account and filed out the application. After a few days no one called so I called them and scheduled an interview. The woman who interviewed me was really nice and we went to a coffee shop across from the store to have the interview. It was kind of awkward but included your typical "Tell me about yourself and your hobbies," questions. So after that awfulness she told me I was a sure hire but she still had to background check me. (No drug test required at the time.) Of course no one called for two days so I called them and the woman who interviewed me went of town. But when she came back we talked and badda boom badda bang I had a job.

Interview Question – Every interview includes "Tell me about yourself." Which for me is essentially the most difficult question because I don't like to talk about myself (at least not out loud). But all they really want is to know that you are well established and can communicate. The best thing to do for this question is to think of what you're going to say beforehand. Think of something prominent in your life (i.e. your mom, siblings, drama class, football team, cheerleading) and make up a little script about it and how that's important then throw in other little details about things you do or things that make you (i.e. you're a master braider, best Barbie dress maker, spelling bee champ) and wah - lah you started a long conversation and probably passed the interview at this point.   Answer Question

Merchandise Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring & Interview process was purely a job. Interviews wanted to ensure that you fit on the team: motivated, excited to learn, team player, and love product! Do your homework and read about the company and ensure that it aligns with who you are and what you want out of your career.

Interview Question – Very funny: Who is your style Icon? Who do you think has great style!   Answer Question

Inventory Planner Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview is a QA format. The questions are standard; what is your biggest strength and weakness, describe a strategy that you implemented that was successful and what metrics do you use to forecast and manage OTB. The format is a cold and doesn't lend itself to understanding the future team you will be working with. Suggestion is to ask an open-ended question that fosters a conversation in order to get to know your future team.

Interview Question – Describe a financial strategy you presented that was not successful?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details – Group interview

Interview Question – Name a time where you had difficulties with your coworkers and how you handled the situation   Answer Question

Dawson, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details – Very upbeat, enthusiastic, really friendly and want to get to know you.
The initial interview is a little awkward because its a group interview so it feels much like a cattle call,
the second interview was still group but only 2-3 people and after that i received a phone call with a job offer. I do know that the way they tell you they aren't interested is kind of off putting because its just a postcard in the mail.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation of lying or stealing involving a fellow co-worker or management team memeber?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't much of one; because i was a broke college student happy to jsut have a stable paycheck; as low as it was.

Very Easy Interview

Brand Experience Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Standard, no surprises. Google "core competencies." Rinse, repeat.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap interview questions and advice. All 479 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.