The Gap

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap.

The hiring process was fairly easy. I applied and they called me the following day to schedule a interview. It was a group interview so it was easy to do role play and they just asked the basics such as what are your plans for the future? What do you know about The Gap?

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were pretty easy, nothing out of the ordinary pertaining to retail.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

The application was longer than I thought it would be. It requires basic info, name, DOB, etc, but then you have to take their assessment to see if you are right for the position. It was okay though, it almost felt like an interview. it gives you different situations with five different responses and you say if you would do or wouldn't do that response, then you pick the worst and best response.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer wanted to return an item later than policy allows, and then gets violent/loud when you say it is against policy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

I applied online to Baby Gap/ Gap Kids in Arcadia, CA, around late October and received a call 2 weeks after for a group interview. The hiring manager basically told us this was going to be the easiest and quickest interview ever and said that we are all already hired for the holiday season. The pay is $9.25. It was a group of 6 including myself. We were selected based on our survey/behavioral test that was part of the online application. Orientation was that same week for 2 hours filling out paper work and watching two discs of company policy, loss prevention, etc. We also toured the store and were given our employee IDs. The Gap card is important for commission and must be informed to every customer as a cashier or as a sales associate helping with fitting rooms etc. Waiting for my first official day!

Dress code is no sandals, no logos, no crop tops, and no hoodies. Jewelry, sneakers, and practically anything is allowed as long as it's appropriate for the season.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • In the video one question we were quizzed on was: What is EAS?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

The process took two days. I walked in the store and asked if they were hiring. The manager asked me to come in the next day for and interview and I got hired on the spot. I was actually expecting a group interview, but I ended up having a one on one interview. The questions were pretty simple, such as "Describe the position you held at your last job." "Why do you want to work at The Gap?" "What do you hope to gain from The Gap?"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular was difficult. She did ask if I had any questions, so perhaps have something planned to ask.   Answer Question
    I named my price and she accepted. It will help if you mention how the company is raising its minimum wage in 2015 to $10 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tilton, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tilton, NH

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

I placed an online application and got a call two days later asking me to come in for an interview. The interview process was very short and to the point. They were hiring for the holiday season so the questions were a lot about availability. After the interview I got another call the next day about coming in for employee training because I got the job!

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulare, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulare, CA

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

I applied online got a call about 3 days later to come in for a group interview in 2 days , came in walked to a private room with the manager interviewing myself and 3 other girls.

Interview Questions
    • What are your past job experiences?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw someone stealing?   View Answer
    • What would you do on a slow day?   View Answer
    • What would you do if a friend asked to use your employe discount?   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

First round: phone interview, be prepared to discuss why GAP and specifically why retail. Additionally a couple of hypothetical questions were asked, nothing too hard, but probably used to weed out candidates.
    2nd round: Very comprehensive project requiring the candidate to come up with an additional brand that GAP should add to their portfolio, which includes, market positioning, competition, financials, and overall macro level strategy in reasoning why GAP should ask this. You have 15 minutes to present this to a recruiter, and then she will ask a variety of questions like--how did you arrive at your financials, how is your product different from competition/existing GAP products, etc. The suggested time was 6-8 hours spent on this, but personally I spent a lot more since the topic was extremely broad

Had to wait 2 weeks to hear back, even though I thought I did well, apparently it wasn't good enough.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to distribute 5000 puffy vests, what factors would you take into consideration and why?   Answer Question

Retail Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Initial half hour phone screening, standard behavioral based questions. Next round was a project to complete. They give you 7 days to create a new brand to introduce to their portfolio, covering everything including product assortment, business strategy, and financial plan. Did not move on past this round due to insufficient market research for new brand. Project was very time-intensive. Final round in home offices in San Francisco.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Submit job application online. Do not bother asking for an application in store...they'll just give you a little card that tells you to apply online. The online application is followed by an online test which tests your organizational skills and workplace ethics. If you meet their needs, they call you for a group interview. If you pass that, they call you for a one on one.

Interview Questions
    • Group interview: Tell me about a particular time where you demonstrated leadership skills.
      One on one: Sell me something....which can be whatever is that you have on you such as articles of clothing, wallet, purse, etc.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Relatively simple. I applied online and received a call about interviewing. The managers I met were friendly, the interview was detailed. They asked several questions about selling techniques and customer service. I did pretty well, just answer questions as you truly feel and you'll be fine. They seemed like they really care about customer service.

None