The Gap Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2015
Updated Apr 5, 2015

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Interview

Required an application submitted online. It was straightforward and easy to fill out with a picture quiz of different situations that may happen on the floor and how you would handle them. Once I submitted that, I was asked to come in for a group interview with other candidates. Once I passed that step, I met with the General Manager.

Seasonal Cust Serv Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Interview

Went to open interview and interviewed with 7 other people. 4 people interviewed us and asked dumb questions.. like "How did you help a disgruntled customer and turn their situation into a great experience?" I said "I called an ambulence when this chick when into labor at another job I was at. I was at the hospital working at the front desk... so I guess my phone call was pointless. Silly me! Anyway, her baby came out defect-free and I guess that she was happy... a kid is a great experience right? So yeah, that wouldnt have happened without me." cake interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you help a disgruntled customer and turn their situation into a great experience?"   2 Answers

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Gap.

Interview

Gave my resume through career fair at my school. They quickly contacted me to set up an on-campus interview. After the interview, there was the next round where we had to create a new brand for the GAP and craft a presentation. Presented to a GAP recruiter via Skype.

Interview Questions

• If GAP was releasing a new leather jacket, how should it decide its distribution strategy?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone call within a week from the store manager asking me to come in for an interview. A few days later, before I had met the manager in person for the interview, I got another phone call saying that our first 5 minute phone conversation counted as my "interview" and that I could come in for training. The process and manager seemed chaotic and unorganized.

Interview Questions

• The only question I was asked was about my availability during the holiday season.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at The Gap (Corte Madera, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, recieved an email a few days later, came in for a super easy and quick one on one conversation and was offered a job! Very casual interview. Dress similar to the store Gap itself, but it is up to you. Interview is like a conversation, they want to get to know your personality more than anything else.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the best and one of the worst experiences youve had with customer service?   1 Answer
    • How do you keep up with fashion trends?   1 Answer

IT Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I met with six different people during the day. The interview questions were very straight forward with a lot of time spent on people telling me about the job, what they did and asking "tell me about yourself." Not a lot of meat in the interviews.

I was a former employee and actually found that to be a disadvantage because people don't realize how much has changed since you left and therefore, tend to under explain things. They also tend to be more chatty and I didn't feel like I got a chance to show my accomplishments like I do in other interviews.

Interview Questions

• How do you think Gap's new international initiative will impact your job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online on the Gap hiring website website. One of the managers called me about a week (maybe less) later. The manager gave me a description of the sales associate position but did not ask too many questions for me to consider it a phone interview. She asked me to come in for a one on one later that week. Very laid back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced something difficult and how did you overcome it   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Gap (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I went & asked the manager at Gap outlet in-person if she was hiring.
    She said yes, so I went home I applied about 3 days later.
    I gave her a call the morning I applied, telling her to let her know, referencing that we'd met in-person, etc.
    She said she'd try to get me into an interview the next week, but she never called me back.
    So I called for the 2nd time, asked her about my application & why no call-back, she said she'd try to get me in again the coming week.
    I was surprised when she actually kept her word the second time around & called me that Tuesday.
    She asked if I'd prefer interview on Wednesday or Saturday (valentines day) & asked me to come in at 2. I chose Saturday so I'd have more time to prepare.
    The interview was supposed to be a group one. But it was only me and one other girl, the other person never showed up. There were 2 interviewers, one young dude one young lady.
    All in all it was pretty easy.

The hardest part was reviewing the Gap card flash cards & trying to sell it to the lady interviewer at the end.
    Mainly bc I've never done that before, I was trying to draw on how I see other cashier sell cards but I think I did ok. Maybe a bit timid.
    We also picked out surprise date night outfits beforehand, I chose the lady's, the other girl interviewee chose the guy's outfit.

Lastly, I wasn't too surprised to be denied in the email I got a couple days later because the other girl I was being interview with worked at Nordstrom previously. I'm a high schoolar with no retail experience what so ever. So she kept talking about her past job at Nordstrom & I could only talk about fellow volunteers I worked with or my favorite teacher, instead of favorite boss /:

Interview Questions

• “Name & your favorite summer thing to do?”
      “Talk about your favorite teacher or boss and what made them your favorite?”
      “Do you think a Team goal or a Single, personal goal is more important? Like which would you pick and why?”
      “Describe a time where you dealt with an uncomfortable event?”
      “What about a time where you didn’t agree with the rules but followed them anyway? It doesn’t have to be anything super serious, it could be the dress code you had to wear to work, etc”
      “Tell me about a time where you received feedback from a coworker?”
      “Tell me about about a time you received great customer service?”
      “Do you have any questions for us?”

1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Interview

Applied online, received a call about a week later, went in for a group interview the following week, received a phone call a few days later notifying me of employment.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic interview questions - tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for The Gap, tell me a time you had a conflict with an employee/customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Gap.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview almost immediately after filling out the application online. We walked over to the food court - it was very casual. The manager and a manager-in-training both interviewed me. Mostly the questions were based about my experience at previous retail positions. Nothing caught me off guard, or no question was too difficult to ask. If you're friendly and enjoy a retail position - you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• What was your worst experience with a customer?   1 Answer