The Gap

Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap in February 2015.

I applied online and was contacted roughly 3 weeks later. It was a group interview with 3 other candidates. We were each given time to answer the questions and at the end he told us he would contact us.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Gap?

What does the Gap style mean to you?

What would your previous coworkers say are your strengths and weaknesses?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at The Gap in February 2015.

Applied online, recieved an email a few days later, came in for a super easy and quick one on one conversation and was offered a job! Very casual interview. Dress similar to the store Gap itself, but it is up to you. Interview is like a conversation, they want to get to know your personality more than anything else.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of the best and one of the worst experiences youve had with customer service?   View Answer
    • How do you keep up with fashion trends?   View Answer

Assistant Customer Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in February 2015.

Filled out an application online and was called for an interview after about 2 weeks. I arrived and was taken to the food court to interview with the GM and Assistant Gm. The questions started off basic which was pretty easy and then they focused on customer service and how I would help of contribute to raising the percentage of the Gap Card. After this part was achieved then the questions was about how I would handle challenge and overcome situations that are not easy or basically how you handle failure. Was told I they will definitely be in contact and was called back later on that day and said that I definitely had a second interview so will see how that goes.

Interview Questions
    • What brings you to the area?
      Tell me a brief description about you.
      How do you handle under performing employees?
      How do you feel about selling the gap card and how will you contribute to that?
      just basic questions I guess

Answer Question

Assistant Customer Experience Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Two interviews one with the general manager one with the district manager the whole process from interview to hire and start date took about two weeks. They were your basic retail interview questions why this brand give me an example of a time you worked on a team. Tell me about your past experience in retail. Why are you leaving your current store.

Interview Questions
    Quick negotiation we went back and fourth one time about pay and settled.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and they called me a few days later to schedule an interview. The interview was with one of the managers, and it was very simple: he took me into their break room, asked me about my reasoning for wanting to work with the brand. He then asked me to describe my personal style, talk about my experiences with people, and asked me about availability. He told me on the spot that I was hired and that he would be calling me soon to set up a day for training and orientation. It very casual, easy, and simple!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Applied online, got a phone call to schedule an interview 1-2 weeks later. Very informal interview, took me to the back of the store and asked typical interview questions, only took 15+ minutes. Mostly about why customer service is important, why do you want to work at Gap, and past activities/experiences.

Senior Merchandiser Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

Was approached on LinkedIn by an external recruiter. Had phone conversations with both external recruiter and internal HR. Followed 4 back-to-back, 1 hour interviews, including the hiring manager. The remaining interviewers were director-level, including merchandising (from another division), planning and production. Was called back a week later to meet with the VP of Merch and Director of Design. For all interviews, had to prepare a Trend Analysis and SWOT presentation. Received offer letter 2 days later. Did require a bit of extra following up with Recruiting at some points.

Absolutely no negotiation on salary.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

After an initial meet with the the head hiring manager, myself and one other potential hire sat down with a different hiring manager at a nearby cafe. It was very laid back and put me at ease. We discussed our qualifications, what the job would entail and were asked to explain how we might react in different hypothetical situations.

Assistant Manager of Merchandising Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Thorough interview process. The entire process took me through 3 interviews. There was less emphasis on who you as a person and more emphasis on your operational and business knowledge. Usually you get interviewed by a Store Manager, then District Manager and then possibly an interview with a Visual Merchandising Manager.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important metric in the business when you are struggling to make money?   Answer Question
    I was unable to negotiate. They are not very flexible with pay.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I was pleased to be reached by a recruiter on LinkedIn about an open position. She got me in contact with an HR person that I had a few conversations with and one phone interview lasting 2 hours. I then had a follow up phone interview with the DM and another phone interview with the HR person. Lastly I was invited to an in person interview with a training lady. All in all every interview went great, smooth conversation, no difficult questions I couldn't answer. They even talked about pay, bonuses, when I could start how my training would go. Was told I would get a call in a few days from the last interview and then I never heard a word again. I reached out twice over a month span but got nothing. Would've been nice to have some feedback after 5 in depth interviews.