The Gap Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I applied online for The Gap , and the next day I got a call for an interview. The interview was a group interview with at least 20 people, there were three mangers and each one of them asked a question, and everyone took turns answering the question, and they did a little thing where you had to try and remember everyones name in the circle.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. When is there a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it? what is one word that describe you?   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Seasonal Employment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishkill, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishkill, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Gap.

1st interview over the phone. 2nd interview in person. Interview questions typical. Interviewers very nice, casual atmosphere. Seems like a great company to work with good people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us how you delivered some type of bad news you delivered and how you did it   Answer Question

Gap Sales Interview

Interview, be bubbly and go getter. be on points.. know the company and what the expectation is. and I don't know why they glass door wants me to write more on this..

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

The initial interview was a 30 minute phone screen. The questions were fairly easy - why do you want to work at Gap, tell me about your experience, etc. The recruiter was very nice and knew enough about the position to get me excited about it. I was asked to come in for a face-to-face interview the following week.

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I work at the Gap on 34th street. It seems to me that most people are hired by a third party called workforce1. most of all the new hires are hired through them as was I. I went through 3 interviews. The first interview was a pre-screen process at the workforce1 center (bond street, Brooklyn). it was a group interview with about 20+ people "interviewing" for different jobs at different businesses. You get to choose which jobs you want to try out for. At the end of the group interview they tell you which jobs they will push you forward to. I went twice the first time I did not get the Gap. The next interview was a few days later with the stores head manager/GM (still not sure of her title but that is besides the point. She is really nice and pulls no punches, she lets you know up front this is not a 9-5 job with guaranteed 40 hours a week. If that is what you are looking for you can leave out the door, judgment free zone. This was also a group interview, a bit smaller maybe 15 people. After that interview she reserved the right to call you from the time you leave until Sunday at 8 pm. I got called later that night around 10pm and was scheduled for an interview the next day. This was another group interview and took place at an office near the Gap on 34th street with the hiring manager. This group interview was much smaller than the others, there was about 8-10 people. It was pretty much standard go around of answering and asking questions. I got a call a week later saying they wanted to move forward and needed to do a background check. It took them 10+ days after that phone call to officially offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • What are some fashion trends that you are noticing?   View Answer
    No negotiations. Previous to this I was working at another major fashion retail for about 11 months. Gap gave me 10.50 but this other hire got 11.50. The other hire had been working in retail close to 5 years and was once a manager. So if you have similar qualifications definitely correct them if they try and give you 10.50.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap.

I had to keep calling and finally when one of the managers that I needed picked up the phone I was scheduled for an interview at that time. I went in and had a typical interview and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Gap?
      Describe your sense of style?
      Who influences your style?
      What qualities can you bring to the Gap?
      Why should we hire you?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation

Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

Went to open interview and interviewed with 2 people. It was pretty painless and they were very easy to talk to and with. They asked great questions that would give them a feel for your personality but also gave the opportunity for me to do the same in return.

Interview Questions
    • none of the questions were difficult.. just be yourself and answer honestly   Answer Question
    I am a rehire from a previous time so I had a feel for what the pay could have been.They asked me what my desired salary was that I wanted and I told them.

Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocklin, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

Applied online in June and they called me for a phone interview in late July. After the phone interview, (which consisted of a few questions on what I thought "good" customer service was), I was asked to come in for a group interview. The group was made up of 7 people, including myself. There were 2 HR managers and 2 shift supervisors sitting on one side of the table and the 7 of us were seated on the opposite side. They asked us about 5 questions where we had to provide specific examples about when we helped a customer, when we needed to ask a manager for help, etc. The last question was easy. It was "What is your favorite/go-to style and why?".

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific time where you had to provide a disgruntled customer with excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • What two outstanding qualities do you think you have that set you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question
    Started me at $11.25 an hour and working 5 days a week. No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call the next day to set up an interview. The call was confusing because she asked me about my availability and even though I told her she was still confused on the hours that I could work. When it was time for the interview, she asked a lot of the basic questions. This was my 1st ever interview and I was kind of surprised when she made me go out on the floor and pretend to help people out. After the interview was done, she said that she would call the next day, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • Either having to go out on the floor or what was the worst type of customer service you've had?   Answer Question

Seasonal Call Center/Bilingual Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocklin, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online after a lady at work told me they were hiring for bilingual positions. I will admit that I paid little attention to which position I was applying for, and was given a surprise at the end, will explain. I believed I was applying to be a temporary, seasonal call center (Phone-answerer). I received a phone call about 8-9 days afterwards, requesting a brief phone interview. It took about 15-20 minutes and I was invited to a group interview at the end. During this phone interview, the HR lady went over some basic details of the job (it is temporary, can be either day time or night time, must work one weekend day each week) and asked me if I was okay with these details. She told me when training was to start and if I had any travel plans for those dates. Here are the phone interview questions:
        *Rate 1-5, your ability working with (Word, Excel, shifting between screens and keyboarding)
        *What steps do you use to handle technical browser problems?
        *How would you ensure customers receive a world-class experience when there are multiple calls
         coming in for you to get to?
        *Describe a time you went beyond to help a customer during a non-stressful time and then a
         stressful time

After these questions, I was invited to the next step, which was a group interview. Scheduling was very flexible and the people were friendly. There were 9 interviewees (all female between the ages of 18ish to 34ish for whatever reason). Apparently, I was mixed up among people who were interviewing for the Call Center position, as to the reason why I was still thinking I was one of them. The group interview started off with a brief introduction about the job and what they are looking for. All questions were projected onto a large screen on the wall in PowerPoint. The questions were read aloud to us and we were able to choose what order we would like to respond in. We basically just raised our hand when we had our responses ready. It was an easy interview format because you were able to observe everybody else's responses and techniques. There were 4 panel members who basically just took notes and read the questions aloud. Here are the group interview questions:
       *Tell us about yourself and why you would be an asset to our company
       *What skills do you believe are important to provide excellent customer service, and provide an
        example of a time you demonstrated them.
       *Describe a time when you had to deliver a difficult response to a customer. What was your
        approach and what was the outcome?
        of the information. What steps did you follow to obtain the information and what was the result?
       *Describe your strengths when working with others and give an example
       *We want to be America's favorite style, so what is your favorite style and why?

We were told that we would hear back from them between 5-7 days with their decision. I heard back in 2 business days, interview was on Thursday morning and I received a phone call on Monday at 9 am, saying that I needed to move on to the bilingual interview and that a lady would call me at a certain time. I did not receive this call until Tuesday morning, but there were only two Spanish questions:
       *How long have you been speaking Spanish
       *Have you ever worked in a position that required Spanish skills

I do not remember if I was notified that day or the following day about my success, but either way, I was contacted by an HR Manager and told that she would get back to me once she had my schedule figured out and that after that, I would need to stop by and fill out paperwork and perform a drug screening. It was when I stopped by to fill out the initial paperwork that I read on my job offer that I was not a seasonal call center work, but instead a customer service consultant, which is a regular, full-time position. The schedule for this position is not flexible, instead it is a take-it-or-leave-it. Salary was not negotiable, but I have a compensation review scheduled in about 6 months. Throughout the initial phone interview and the group interview, it was stated that this was a temporary, seasonal positions, so apparently, I applied for this customer service (regular, full-time job), yet I was being interviewed along with the call center/seasonal workers, and given the same information and same interviews. I imagine these interviewers did not know that I was applying for a different position, or they did not have the time to separate us into different groups. They were looking to hire hundreds of seasonal people, so I guess I just got lumped in with them all, which worked out fine because the interviews were very easy, no references were needed.

Interview Questions
    • *Give an example of a time where you resolved a problem for a customer when you did not have all
        Answer Question