The Gap Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and they called me a few days later to schedule an interview. The interview was with one of the managers, and it was very simple: he took me into their break room, asked me about my reasoning for wanting to work with the brand. He then asked me to describe my personal style, talk about my experiences with people, and asked me about availability. He told me on the spot that I was hired and that he would be calling me soon to set up a day for training and orientation. It very casual, easy, and simple!

Senior Merchandiser Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

Was approached on LinkedIn by an external recruiter. Had phone conversations with both external recruiter and internal HR. Followed 4 back-to-back, 1 hour interviews, including the hiring manager. The remaining interviewers were director-level, including merchandising (from another division), planning and production. Was called back a week later to meet with the VP of Merch and Director of Design. For all interviews, had to prepare a Trend Analysis and SWOT presentation. Received offer letter 2 days later. Did require a bit of extra following up with Recruiting at some points.

Absolutely no negotiation on salary.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

After an initial meet with the the head hiring manager, myself and one other potential hire sat down with a different hiring manager at a nearby cafe. It was very laid back and put me at ease. We discussed our qualifications, what the job would entail and were asked to explain how we might react in different hypothetical situations.

Assistant Manager of Merchandising Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Thorough interview process. The entire process took me through 3 interviews. There was less emphasis on who you as a person and more emphasis on your operational and business knowledge. Usually you get interviewed by a Store Manager, then District Manager and then possibly an interview with a Visual Merchandising Manager.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important metric in the business when you are struggling to make money?   Answer Question
    I was unable to negotiate. They are not very flexible with pay.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I was pleased to be reached by a recruiter on LinkedIn about an open position. She got me in contact with an HR person that I had a few conversations with and one phone interview lasting 2 hours. I then had a follow up phone interview with the DM and another phone interview with the HR person. Lastly I was invited to an in person interview with a training lady. All in all every interview went great, smooth conversation, no difficult questions I couldn't answer. They even talked about pay, bonuses, when I could start how my training would go. Was told I would get a call in a few days from the last interview and then I never heard a word again. I reached out twice over a month span but got nothing. Would've been nice to have some feedback after 5 in depth interviews.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap.

Easy and straight forward. Basic questions. Not very personal. Didn't care about personality just availability. They were looking for holiday help. Didn't tell me I was seasonal. Was let go but invited to come back in the summer. Pretty disappointing in general. I will not go back.

CAD Design Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

I received a call from Gap recruiter, he interview me over the phone about what I do and would I me interested in exploring new opportunities. Then I was interviewed with my hiring manager, who ask me to work on a project. After presenting my project to my hiring manager, I was interviewed by my hiring manager's manager. it is a long process with multiple layers before they decide on the final candidate. Just be patience.

Interview Questions
    • I'm not sure if it's most difficult, just be prepare to answer questions that would bring your value to the company.   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Too much and too long for the position. They want perfection instead of experience and help them grow. When i was hired, the interview process was not as complex as they are making it today, and they wonder why they can't get in candidates and the current staff is suffering.

Interview Questions
    • How did you motivate and influence your peers or associates to do something you wanted to do?   View Answer
    I told them if they wanted me then it has to be more than i am currently making, and they gave me $10K more than my previous job.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Not a long process basic customer service questions ask if u have any experience have to sell yourself on y would u want to work for the company nothing difficult about the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question the manger wanted me to do was pick out an. Basic outfit and change it into a girls night out outfit   View Answer

Assistant Manager Customer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Was not called for an interview until over a month after application process. Incredibly quick, easy interview for being HR for a store. The interview was the most unprofessional I've has in my retail career.