The Gap Interview Questions

2.4

Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rocklin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocklin, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

Applied online in June and they called me for a phone interview in late July. After the phone interview, (which consisted of a few questions on what I thought "good" customer service was), I was asked to come in for a group interview. The group was made up of 7 people, including myself. There were 2 HR managers and 2 shift supervisors sitting on one side of the table and the 7 of us were seated on the opposite side. They asked us about 5 questions where we had to provide specific examples about when we helped a customer, when we needed to ask a manager for help, etc. The last question was easy. It was "What is your favorite/go-to style and why?".

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific time where you had to provide a disgruntled customer with excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • What two outstanding qualities do you think you have that set you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question
    Started me at $11.25 an hour and working 5 days a week. No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call the next day to set up an interview. The call was confusing because she asked me about my availability and even though I told her she was still confused on the hours that I could work. When it was time for the interview, she asked a lot of the basic questions. This was my 1st ever interview and I was kind of surprised when she made me go out on the floor and pretend to help people out. After the interview was done, she said that she would call the next day, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • Either having to go out on the floor or what was the worst type of customer service you've had?   Answer Question

Seasonal Call Center/Bilingual Customer Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rocklin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocklin, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online after a lady at work told me they were hiring for bilingual positions. I will admit that I paid little attention to which position I was applying for, and was given a surprise at the end, will explain. I believed I was applying to be a temporary, seasonal call center (Phone-answerer). I received a phone call about 8-9 days afterwards, requesting a brief phone interview. It took about 15-20 minutes and I was invited to a group interview at the end. During this phone interview, the HR lady went over some basic details of the job (it is temporary, can be either day time or night time, must work one weekend day each week) and asked me if I was okay with these details. She told me when training was to start and if I had any travel plans for those dates. Here are the phone interview questions:
        *Rate 1-5, your ability working with (Word, Excel, shifting between screens and keyboarding)
        *What steps do you use to handle technical browser problems?
        *How would you ensure customers receive a world-class experience when there are multiple calls
         coming in for you to get to?
        *Describe a time you went beyond to help a customer during a non-stressful time and then a
         stressful time

After these questions, I was invited to the next step, which was a group interview. Scheduling was very flexible and the people were friendly. There were 9 interviewees (all female between the ages of 18ish to 34ish for whatever reason). Apparently, I was mixed up among people who were interviewing for the Call Center position, as to the reason why I was still thinking I was one of them. The group interview started off with a brief introduction about the job and what they are looking for. All questions were projected onto a large screen on the wall in PowerPoint. The questions were read aloud to us and we were able to choose what order we would like to respond in. We basically just raised our hand when we had our responses ready. It was an easy interview format because you were able to observe everybody else's responses and techniques. There were 4 panel members who basically just took notes and read the questions aloud. Here are the group interview questions:
       *Tell us about yourself and why you would be an asset to our company
       *What skills do you believe are important to provide excellent customer service, and provide an
        example of a time you demonstrated them.
       *Describe a time when you had to deliver a difficult response to a customer. What was your
        approach and what was the outcome?
        of the information. What steps did you follow to obtain the information and what was the result?
       *Describe your strengths when working with others and give an example
       *We want to be America's favorite style, so what is your favorite style and why?

We were told that we would hear back from them between 5-7 days with their decision. I heard back in 2 business days, interview was on Thursday morning and I received a phone call on Monday at 9 am, saying that I needed to move on to the bilingual interview and that a lady would call me at a certain time. I did not receive this call until Tuesday morning, but there were only two Spanish questions:
       *How long have you been speaking Spanish
       *Have you ever worked in a position that required Spanish skills

I do not remember if I was notified that day or the following day about my success, but either way, I was contacted by an HR Manager and told that she would get back to me once she had my schedule figured out and that after that, I would need to stop by and fill out paperwork and perform a drug screening. It was when I stopped by to fill out the initial paperwork that I read on my job offer that I was not a seasonal call center work, but instead a customer service consultant, which is a regular, full-time position. The schedule for this position is not flexible, instead it is a take-it-or-leave-it. Salary was not negotiable, but I have a compensation review scheduled in about 6 months. Throughout the initial phone interview and the group interview, it was stated that this was a temporary, seasonal positions, so apparently, I applied for this customer service (regular, full-time job), yet I was being interviewed along with the call center/seasonal workers, and given the same information and same interviews. I imagine these interviewers did not know that I was applying for a different position, or they did not have the time to separate us into different groups. They were looking to hire hundreds of seasonal people, so I guess I just got lumped in with them all, which worked out fine because the interviews were very easy, no references were needed.

Interview Questions
    • *Give an example of a time where you resolved a problem for a customer when you did not have all
        Answer Question

Gap Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online in late July and about a week later received a call to schedule an Interview. I missed the initial call, but called back about 45 minutes later to speak to the hiring manager. The hiring manager picked up but then told me she was very busy and asked if she could call back in half an hour. I ended up waiting three hours for her to call me back before calling again only to find the store was now closed. I called the next morning and scheduled and interview for Friday of that week. I came in for a one on one interview with the hiring manager and we sat on a bench outside the store. She seemed enthusiastic to talk about herself, her position and the store but when it came time to asking me questions, seemed entirely disinterested, showed no emotion, and actually spent a lot of time glancing into the store. The questions were not too difficult, but I the manager's demeanor to be a bit discouraging. The last step of the interview was picking out an outfit and describing an occasion for which it could be worn, but by that point it was pretty clear the manager was not at all interested.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the store if no customers came in all day?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap.

I was taken to the back room by the hiring manager and was asked about my experience and very easy questions such as "What is an example of great customer service?". Several employees walked in during in the interview which was very distracting.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you worked with a team and was successful? And why.   Answer Question

The location was too far from my house and school, and just not worth the amount of gas I would be paying each week.

Network Engineer - Tier III Interview

For contract to hire position, if they asked for 5+ years experience or equivalent, mostly 5 different people will take interview on same day, in person. Mostly from same team, they look for basic knowledge plus what you have done in past. Some scenario based tricky questions expected. First report to receptionist, someone will take you inside around scheduled time. At once there was confusion in one interviewer's time, as some other person schedules interviews

Gap Outlet Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Short , Sweet and to the point. They are awesome at getting back to you and setting you up for work fast. Most times you apply online , and call in store to receive feedback. You don't need much experience just a great personality and a love for CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!!

Interview Questions
    • Just all those tell me about yourself , what makes you want to work here , fashion related items !   Answer Question
    Call and send you and offer and you can either decline or accept!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I went to the mall, walking store to store to see if they were hiring. As I entered GAP I happened to run into the manager, introduced myself, and asked if they were hiring. They took down my name and number, told me to apply online, and said they will call for an interview in a week.
    The application process was easy, although I was scared because GAP would be my first job. It gives you a place to put your resume and asks you situation questions. I recommend reading the job requirements before doing the application because they helped me learn GAP goals.
    After not getting called back for a week, I decided to call to see if the position was still opened. I called at 8:00pm, an hour before closing, and said I was "doing a followup to check the status of my application." The hiring manager was not there so they took down my name and number, and around noon the next day I got a call to come in for an interview.
    The interview process was definitely interesting. I wore a dress with a cardigan and sandals, and to be honest I feel a bit too dressed up. However the hiring manager told me she loved my outfit and that GAP loves dresses. The questions were simple at first, from "Tell me about yourself?" "What is your avaliability?" "Why did you chose the GAP?" and "Tell me about your previous work experiences." However, I was a bit thrown off when asked to describe and try to sell my outfit to the manager, although I think I did well. I recommend talking a lot about community service even if you don't have work experience, as GAP does a lot to give back. I also read up on policies and things GAP does such as support workers right, women's wages, service and being green. I have to say the biggest curve ball was being asked to grab a walkie, stand in front of the store, and pretend to be an employee. I was terrified and didnt know what to do, so I cleaned, greeted customers, and asked the manager if he needed help as he was walking past with a handful of clothing. Although I thought the interview went well overall, the last part scared me to death. I was told I would be called in a week.
    I was soooo stressed after the interview, as it had been my first, yet I knew I tried my hardest and felt comfortable with the laid back yet professional work enviroment I had experienced. Thankfully I recieved a call after 6 days asking if I would accept the job for 8.50$ and hour and was invited for orientation the next day.
    Overall, I feel that GAP is a great buisness with much to offer, even as a first job for younger people. The workers I met have all been kind, funny, and hard-working, and the managers have all been friendly and are not mean or snobby. I cannot wait to start my new job and wish the best in the process for all of you looking this up because you're freaking out as much as I was!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself"
      "What hours would work for you?"
      "Why did you chose the GAP?"
      "Tell me about your previous work experiences"
      "Try to sell your outfit to me"
      **"Pretend to be a Gap employee"
        Answer Question
    I settled for 8.50$, did not even try to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I applies for Gap Kids online, and got a call back about 2 1/2 weeks later. My first interview was with the Assistant Manager, myself, and another applicant. She asked us to interview each other for 3 minuets, so definitely look at some interview questions before going in. This interview lasted about 30 minuets. At the end of the interview, the Assistant Manager asked us to come in the next day to have a second interview (mine was one on one with the Manager). The second interview was a lot easier and less nerve-wrecking because it was mostly an overview of the first interview, going over my resume, discussing the job duties, and a few simple questions about availability.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you worked with an authority figure (boss, teacher, etc.) who you didn't get along with, and one who you did get along with.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate because the starting pay rate was a lot higher than I expected ($9.75/hr.)
    Note: This job is at Stanford Shopping center so I'm not sure if the pay rate is the same in other locations.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I applied online and got a call from the store one month later. I went in for an interview that day. The associates who were working seemed nice enough. Overall low-key environment. My interviewer (the hiring manager for the store) was dressed fairly casually, in a Gap maxi dress. In this particular store the interview was very informal and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • There were few questions and all of them were very easy. Availability, previous retail experience, "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question