The Gap

Relevance Date Difficulty

Network Engineer - Tier III Interview

Network Engineer - Tier III

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details – For contract to hire position, if they asked for 5+ years experience or equivalent, mostly 5 different people will take interview on same day, in person. Mostly from same team, they look for basic knowledge plus what you have done in past. Some scenario based tricky questions expected. First report to receptionist, someone will take you inside around scheduled time. At once there was confusion in one interviewer's time, as some other person schedules interviews

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online a week later got a call to be apart of a group interview. It was 11 people interviewing, it was a tad bit awkward and intimidating. Ask standard question nothing to difficult.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewing process was okay. Everyone seemed very well put together and was very nice. The management team was very responsive and the staff is always friendly. Overall i received a lot of positive feedback throughout the interview process.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the mall, walking store to store to see if they were hiring. As I entered GAP I happened to run into the manager, introduced myself, and asked if they were hiring. They took down my name and number, told me to apply online, and said they will call for an interview in a week.
The application process was easy, although I was scared because GAP would be my first job. It gives you a place to put your resume and asks you situation questions. I recommend reading the job requirements before doing the application because they helped me learn GAP goals.
After not getting called back for a week, I decided to call to see if the position was still opened. I called at 8:00pm, an hour before closing, and said I was "doing a followup to check the status of my application." The hiring manager was not there so they took down my name and number, and around noon the next day I got a call to come in for an interview.
The interview process was definitely interesting. I wore a dress with a cardigan and sandals, and to be honest I feel a bit too dressed up. However the hiring manager told me she loved my outfit and that GAP loves dresses. The questions were simple at first, from "Tell me about yourself?" "What is your avaliability?" "Why did you chose the GAP?" and "Tell me about your previous work experiences." However, I was a bit thrown off when asked to describe and try to sell my outfit to the manager, although I think I did well. I recommend talking a lot about community service even if you don't have work experience, as GAP does a lot to give back. I also read up on policies and things GAP does such as support workers right, women's wages, service and being green. I have to say the biggest curve ball was being asked to grab a walkie, stand in front of the store, and pretend to be an employee. I was terrified and didnt know what to do, so I cleaned, greeted customers, and asked the manager if he needed help as he was walking past with a handful of clothing. Although I thought the interview went well overall, the last part scared me to death. I was told I would be called in a week.
I was soooo stressed after the interview, as it had been my first, yet I knew I tried my hardest and felt comfortable with the laid back yet professional work enviroment I had experienced. Thankfully I recieved a call after 6 days asking if I would accept the job for 8.50$ and hour and was invited for orientation the next day.
Overall, I feel that GAP is a great buisness with much to offer, even as a first job for younger people. The workers I met have all been kind, funny, and hard-working, and the managers have all been friendly and are not mean or snobby. I cannot wait to start my new job and wish the best in the process for all of you looking this up because you're freaking out as much as I was!

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself"
"What hours would work for you?"
"Why did you chose the GAP?"
"Tell me about your previous work experiences"
"Try to sell your outfit to me"
**"Pretend to be a Gap employee"
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I settled for 8.50$, did not even try to negotiate.

Gap Outlet Sales Associate Interview

Gap Outlet Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Short , Sweet and to the point. They are awesome at getting back to you and setting you up for work fast. Most times you apply online , and call in store to receive feedback. You don't need much experience just a great personality and a love for CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!!

Interview Question – Just all those tell me about yourself , what makes you want to work here , fashion related items !   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Call and send you and offer and you can either decline or accept!

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applies for Gap Kids online, and got a call back about 2 1/2 weeks later. My first interview was with the Assistant Manager, myself, and another applicant. She asked us to interview each other for 3 minuets, so definitely look at some interview questions before going in. This interview lasted about 30 minuets. At the end of the interview, the Assistant Manager asked us to come in the next day to have a second interview (mine was one on one with the Manager). The second interview was a lot easier and less nerve-wrecking because it was mostly an overview of the first interview, going over my resume, discussing the job duties, and a few simple questions about availability.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you worked with an authority figure (boss, teacher, etc.) who you didn't get along with, and one who you did get along with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate because the starting pay rate was a lot higher than I expected ($9.75/hr.)
Note: This job is at Stanford Shopping center so I'm not sure if the pay rate is the same in other locations.

Very Easy Interview

Gap Sales Associate Interview

Gap Sales Associate
Milpitas, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in July 2010.

Interview Details – First, we submit an application in person which you can probably do online now. I applied for the Summer season. All of the candidates meet to have a huge group interview. We all sit in a circle and we introduce ourselves. The manager will ask some questions and you raise your answers to participate. Then they call you back and give you an offer.

Interview Question – Typical fit and ethical questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Management comes up with an hourly wage.

Florence, AL

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took them about a month to get back to me. I applied online. The interview process was with the manager and one other worker. I interviewed with another person. The questions were pretty much easy common questions. I made sure I knew knowledge of a gap and how i would describe myself.

Interview Question – Unexpected question was: How would you describe your style?   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Cashier/Sales Associate
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I went thru a hiring agency , Interviewed with a manager then i got a second interview with the general manager and got hired on the spot. they ask you to pick out an outfit just because they want to see your style. they also ask why you want to be apart of the brand.

Interview Question – My general manager thru me a curveball and made me pick out an outfit under $150 . A whole outfit   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Initial phone call to inquire about a scheduled group interview time, then employer asks a question to all applicants, then breaks off in 1:1 questions. After interview, usually get a phone call in 3-5 days with a (potential offer), then watch many videos on company values and positions that are available.

Interview Question – What personal trait do you think you need to improve on the most and how do you think you can achieve success here?   Answer Question