The Gap

Average Difficulty
533 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Florence, AL

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took them about a month to get back to me. I applied online. The interview process was with the manager and one other worker. I interviewed with another person. The questions were pretty much easy common questions. I made sure I knew knowledge of a gap and how i would describe myself.

Interview Question – Unexpected question was: How would you describe your style?   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Cashier/Sales Associate
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I went thru a hiring agency , Interviewed with a manager then i got a second interview with the general manager and got hired on the spot. they ask you to pick out an outfit just because they want to see your style. they also ask why you want to be apart of the brand.

Interview Question – My general manager thru me a curveball and made me pick out an outfit under $150 . A whole outfit   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Initial phone call to inquire about a scheduled group interview time, then employer asks a question to all applicants, then breaks off in 1:1 questions. After interview, usually get a phone call in 3-5 days with a (potential offer), then watch many videos on company values and positions that are available.

Interview Question – What personal trait do you think you need to improve on the most and how do you think you can achieve success here?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Easy questions. Just about making decisions. Just keep in mind it's all about making the customer happy and doing the right thing. Sometimes it's a group interview, which is a lot easier. Smile, speak clearly, and relax. Don't kiss a**. They're looking for a hard working and smart employee.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an angry customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Accept the offer if you have nothing to do.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

Interview Details – I was in a group interview with six other people and the hiring manager. She asked a lot of typical interview questions that were listed in the other posts. The interview consisted of the manager asking questions, and whoever wanted to contribute would contribute. Everyone had an equal chance to answer each question. There was only one question that everyone had to answer, which was why we chose The Gap.

Interview Question – At the end of the interview, the manager told us to go out into the sales floor and create an outfit for a specific scenario.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, and I am content with the salary, so I did not try to negotiate.

Information Technology Leadership Position Interview

Information Technology Leadership Position
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with the hiring manager who was new in his role. He briefly explained the role and the skill set they were looking for. He asked a few technical questions and apparently did not like my answer so he decided to be short and curt. I asked him what his top priorities are, he responded with "I don't care to share that with you", and then rambled off some random stuff. Okaaaay.

One of the most pompous and arrogant interviewers I've experienced. There's nothing worse than working for a cocky, self-loathing manager, regardless of your paycheck. No thanks and good luck finding someone to work for you.

Interview Question – How would you describe the different technology layers to protect a network?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Lee, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Very easy, went into the store, asked for an application, filled one out and brought back. They called the next day (summer overload) and I was hired. The whole process took a few days, managers were very friendly.

Interview Question – You need to appear to an interview in Gap or Gap-like attire. I did not and they asked me if I was planning "to wear that to work?" which I thought was a bit rude.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Another store wanted to have me work for them as well so I basically just had them bidding against each other and ended up with a nice pay for a college kid. Definitely negotiate at least a dollar up from what is being offered because you will not likely to get a raise in this position any time soon.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Fishkill, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had 2 Phone interviews then an all day interview with 5 different people. Interview was weel planed out and all my questions where answered. Altough it was a lenghty process it flowed really well.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty basic and expected.   Answer Question

Senior Indsutrial Engineer Interview

Senior Indsutrial Engineer
Fresno, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2010.

Interview Details – Initially there is a phone screen which asks general questions, nothing overwhelming. The next stage was a group interview (3 individuals and yourself, HR/Ops Manager/Engineer), this was followed up with a tour of the Distribution Center. The final interview was a series of 1:1 interviews (Engineering Mgr, Director of DC and Senior Director).

Interview Question – Provide an example where you disagreed with a process or management decision and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2011.

Interview Details – Had a one on one interview on the phone, later had a presentation. Overall was good and everyone was very nice, had some difficult questions, but they seem to care about your thought process more than your specific industry knowledge. There are specific industry questions, but even with knowing very little about them, made it to the next round. Overall seems to be a great company.