The Gap

Getting the Interview

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in November 2013.

Interview Details – 1. First interview is a 30 min. phone screen with general behavioral questions and mini-cases.
2. Next phase is a project given to you to prepare a new brand to add to Gap's portfolio, which you present via Skype 7 days after project is assigned. Interview consisted of a 15-20 min. presentation followed by questions about initial vision, compatibility with existing brands, P&L statements, and long term sustainability.
3. If they liked your project idea, they fly you out to San Francisco for a two-day interview process with other candidates (there were about 45 of us out of all applicants). First day consisted of math and analytical reasoning tests, followed by a relaxed dinner with previous RMP grads. The next day you spend the entire day at their HQ, where you'll do a group case while being observed the whole time by many Gap executives, then two 2:1 interviews with senior level managers from all 3 areas of the RMP. Very difficult but really comprehensive interviewing process- the recruiters and interviewers were extremely professional and nice!

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for situational questions involving product allocation, upcoming trend forecasts, and financial implications of a decision.   Answer Question
  • They also want to hear your ideas for the company across all levels of business (not just RMP functions) such as marketing initiatives, individual brand improvements, customer relations, e-commerce, global expansion, etc.   Answer Question

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. Shortly after I received an email to set up an interview. I interviewed with a recruiter over the phone. Hardest interview I've ever had even though I have worked with Gap Inc. for over 5 years and majored in Fashion and Textile Management. The recruiter was very nice though.

Interview Questions

• If you are out of something in your store and need to get it from the warehouse, what data points should you consider?   Answer Question
  • Why Gap? Why do you want this position?   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my university and interviewed at the career center.

I applied online with a resume and cover letter, and scheduled an interview through my career center. I interviewed with two people for roughly 25 minutes each. The first part of the interview consisted of behavioral questions, and was very structured. The second part was more conversational, but still structured with behavioral questions. Both ladies were very nice and responsive, but did not give any feedback or ask any questions that weren't on their paper.

Tell me about a time where you had to start a project without any direction.

Why are you interested in retail?

Interview Question – What would you look for in a puffy vests?

If I had 10,000 puffy vests how would I distribute them?
  Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – First phone interview is very basic. Then they give you a project that you need to present which they say takes 8 hours of work. The project description is listed below. They get back to you in about 2 weeks. I wouldn't spend as much time on the project if I had to do it again. Don't focus on how much money they will make with the idea.

Interview Question – For the project- What brand would you create at GAP.   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an initial phone screen. The phone screen was a mix of behavioral and retail questions. After passing the phone screen, I was given instructions for creating a presentation that I had to deliver to an HR contracter over Skype. This was kind of jarring for me because I've never had to do a presentation over Skype before. Usually companies the size of Gap Inc. will fly out candidates for in-person presentations, so this made Gap seem a little cheap.

Anyway, the Skype interview took place about a week after I received the initial instructions. I was given 15 minutes to present, after which the interviewer asked me a series of questions based on my presentation. The interviewer didn't have any criticisms and said that she enjoyed my presentation, but I did not move onto the next round.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2008.

Interview Details – Referred in by current Gap Inc. Merchandise Manager; recruiters at select universities only (not mine). Participated in three rounds of in-person interviews: behavioral, project-based, and all-day event including a case-based group interview, two individual interviews with senior management, and a retail math exam. Final round included evening welcome event, as well as sponsored airfare, hotel, and meals. Unspecified but very low acceptance rate -- at least 60 attendees at final round.

Interview Question – What brand should Gap Inc. create next? Create a presentation including business plan, target customer, competitors, merchandise and store design inspiration visuals, and financial outlook.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hired as part of a class of 15 employees - no negotiation / standard hiring salary and terms.

San Francisco, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had a first round interview over the phone for the retail management program. I received very little feedback from the recruiter and she really didn't seem overly excited to be talking to me. She asked extremely detailed questions and expected immediate responses. This was especially hard, given that it was over the phone and I wasn't able to see any facial expressions or have her see mine. I did not receive a second round interview.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2010.

Interview Details – This was a very standard college recruitment interview process that started with a presentation to potential job candidates on campus. The presentation was coordinated by the HR representative, but there were employees from all of the different stores and who were at different stages in their career. The presentation had good content, but was somewhat uncoordinated between the GAP employees who were there to explain what the company was all about.

The interview took place at the career center and consisted of two individual interviews with one HR person and another senior GAP employee. Behavioral questions were asked such as, "tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult decision." It was strange because the two interviews consisted of EXACTLY the same questions and I felt as if I were just repeating what I had already previously said.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in November 2010.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online I had a 45 minute phone interview with a recruiter. Their whole goal is to make you feel incompetent with the questions they ask.

I got a call back to schedule a video conference call interview and had 7 days to complete a huge project about creating a new brand to incorporate into the Gap portfolio. Didnt move on to the final round because they said my long term financial analysis and profitability report needed more analysis.

Interview Questions

• Name a specific moment within the last year that you were a leader.   Answer Question
  • Who is your brands biggest competitor and how do you plan to share their market share?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2010.

Interview Details – The application online was very straightforward. I then made it to a first round phone interview. The phone interview consisted of several situational questions and reasons why I wanted to work for Gap as well as scenarios. I had a very good phone interview and moved on to the 2nd round which consisted of a project. This is how the following 2nd round interview proceeded.

I was a little taken back by the 2nd round interview with my recruiter. From the very beginning, I could feel some sort of tension. I noticed her yawning in the background and her eyes definitely was not reflective of how I view Gap as the proud retailer I know it to be. Every question she had for me felt like it was dripping with disdain. She had her arm up on the table supporting her head like she could care less to what I had to say. As the interview continued, I began to feel very uncomfortable and was unable to answer any of the questions to the best of my ability. It's surprising to have put so much time and effort into and interview and have it valued so little.

Not much to say after that.

Interview Question – What trends can you predict for the fall season?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap Retail Management Program interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.