The Gap

Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.8

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

First round: phone interview, be prepared to discuss why GAP and specifically why retail. Additionally a couple of hypothetical questions were asked, nothing too hard, but probably used to weed out candidates.
2nd round: Very comprehensive project requiring the candidate to come up with an additional brand that GAP should add to their portfolio, which includes, market positioning, competition, financials, and overall macro level strategy in reasoning why GAP should ask this. You have 15 minutes to present this to a recruiter, and then she will ask a variety of questions like--how did you arrive at your financials, how is your product different from competition/existing GAP products, etc. The suggested time was 6-8 hours spent on this, but personally I spent a lot more since the topic was extremely broad

Had to wait 2 weeks to hear back, even though I thought I did well, apparently it wasn't good enough.

Interview Questions
  • If you had to distribute 5000 puffy vests, what factors would you take into consideration and why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Initial half hour phone screening, standard behavioral based questions. Next round was a project to complete. They give you 7 days to create a new brand to introduce to their portfolio, covering everything including product assortment, business strategy, and financial plan. Did not move on past this round due to insufficient market research for new brand. Project was very time-intensive. Final round in home offices in San Francisco.

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

I submitted my resume online. In about week, I was contacted by an HR representative to schedule an initial phone interview. The phone interview was very behavioral. There was one 'retail/technical' question regarding distribution of puffy vests that has been mentioned in previous reviews. Luckily, I had interned in the retail industry over the summer, so I knew how to answer the question. At the end of the conversation, the recruiter told me that I would be moving on to the next round, which would be an hour presentation that I would be given a week to prepare.

About week and a half later, I received the project guidelines which was to introduce a new brand to Gap's portfolio. They instruct you to spend 6-8 hours over the course of the week to complete the project. During the presentation, you are given 15-20 min to present, then the recruiter will ask you a series of questions to basically explain your decision to introduce the brand, challenges, what you enjoyed, etc. You will also be asked to give a two minute pitch of your brand as if you were talking to the CEO. I was told that I would hear back by the end of the month on whether or not I was chosen to move to the final round. However, I never heard anything from them (extremely rude, especially since I informed them that I had a pending offer from my summer internship, so I needed to be updated in case I needed to request an extension).

Aside from their inconsiderate lack of response to my emails inquiring about my candidacy, I would say it was a pretty positive experience. When I asked both interviewers for feedback, they did not hesitate to give me some type of constructive criticism (although, the second interviewer didn't have anything to criticize). Nonetheless, I did appreciate the feedback. As a student with a Liberal Arts background, I would say that the only reason I probably even got considered for the program was because I worked in Gap stores for one summer and I had some corporate retail experience at another company. Otherwise, I figure that the majority of the candidates have more of a business background.

Interview Questions
    • How would you distribute 1000 puffy vests? What would you take into consideration?   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

The first round was a fairly straightfoward half hour phone interview. Not too many difficult questions. The second round was much more difficult. It required a presentation in which one had to concoct a brand to add to the Gap Inc. portfolio. I was content with the job I did, but I was later informed that the business aspects of the presentation were not strong enough. Overall, however, the experience was positive.

Interview Questions
    • How would you avoid internal competition between companies?   Answer Question

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in November 2013.

1. First interview is a 30 min. phone screen with general behavioral questions and mini-cases.
    2. Next phase is a project given to you to prepare a new brand to add to Gap's portfolio, which you present via Skype 7 days after project is assigned. Interview consisted of a 15-20 min. presentation followed by questions about initial vision, compatibility with existing brands, P&L statements, and long term sustainability.
    3. If they liked your project idea, they fly you out to San Francisco for a two-day interview process with other candidates (there were about 45 of us out of all applicants). First day consisted of math and analytical reasoning tests, followed by a relaxed dinner with previous RMP grads. The next day you spend the entire day at their HQ, where you'll do a group case while being observed the whole time by many Gap executives, then two 2:1 interviews with senior level managers from all 3 areas of the RMP. Very difficult but really comprehensive interviewing process- the recruiters and interviewers were extremely professional and nice!

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for situational questions involving product allocation, upcoming trend forecasts, and financial implications of a decision.   Answer Question
    • They also want to hear your ideas for the company across all levels of business (not just RMP functions) such as marketing initiatives, individual brand improvements, customer relations, e-commerce, global expansion, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

First phone interview is very basic. Then they give you a project that you need to present which they say takes 8 hours of work. The project description is listed below. They get back to you in about 2 weeks. I wouldn't spend as much time on the project if I had to do it again. Don't focus on how much money they will make with the idea.

Interview Questions
    • For the project- What brand would you create at GAP.   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

I applied online. Shortly after I received an email to set up an interview. I interviewed with a recruiter over the phone. Hardest interview I've ever had even though I have worked with Gap Inc. for over 5 years and majored in Fashion and Textile Management. The recruiter was very nice though.

Interview Questions
    • If you are out of something in your store and need to get it from the warehouse, what data points should you consider?   Answer Question
    • Why Gap? Why do you want this position?   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

I applied through my university and interviewed at the career center.

I applied online with a resume and cover letter, and scheduled an interview through my career center. I interviewed with two people for roughly 25 minutes each. The first part of the interview consisted of behavioral questions, and was very structured. The second part was more conversational, but still structured with behavioral questions. Both ladies were very nice and responsive, but did not give any feedback or ask any questions that weren't on their paper.

Tell me about a time where you had to start a project without any direction.

Why are you interested in retail?

Interview Questions
    • What would you look for in a puffy vests?

If I had 10,000 puffy vests how would I distribute them?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Format of interview – Two interviews with a recruiter and a business partner. The interviews lasted between 50 minutes and one hour.

Though I thought the first conversation went well and I really clicked with a business partner, when I went to speak with a recruiter (which happened to be in charge of the whole recruiting/retail management/internship program, I couldn't seem to click with her. She seemed to dismiss my answers, didn't seem engaged in what I said, and did not answer my questions about the position or herself with much enthusiasm.

While I think I could've handled the second interview better, I felt that two interviews back-to-back within the course of an hour was exhausting and nerve wracking, especially given their high positions. If I had passed through this round, there still would've been two more rounds to follow. As much as I love Gap, Inc. their recruiting process is extremely tiring and exclusive.

Interview Questions
    • Given your major, why are you interested in the Retail Management Program?   Answer Question

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and received an initial phone screen. The phone screen was a mix of behavioral and retail questions. After passing the phone screen, I was given instructions for creating a presentation that I had to deliver to an HR contracter over Skype. This was kind of jarring for me because I've never had to do a presentation over Skype before. Usually companies the size of Gap Inc. will fly out candidates for in-person presentations, so this made Gap seem a little cheap.

Anyway, the Skype interview took place about a week after I received the initial instructions. I was given 15 minutes to present, after which the interviewer asked me a series of questions based on my presentation. The interviewer didn't have any criticisms and said that she enjoyed my presentation, but I did not move onto the next round.