The Gap Retail Management Program Interview Questions & Reviews

18 interviews

3.9

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Format of interview – Two interviews with a recruiter and a business partner. The interviews lasted between 50 minutes and one hour.

Though I thought the first conversation went well and I really clicked with a business partner, when I went to speak with a recruiter (which happened to be in charge of the whole recruiting/retail management/internship program, I couldn't seem to click with her. She seemed to dismiss my answers, didn't seem engaged in what I said, and did not answer my questions about the position or herself with much enthusiasm.

While I think I could've handled the second interview better, I felt that two interviews back-to-back within the course of an hour was exhausting and nerve wracking, especially given their high positions. If I had passed through this round, there still would've been two more rounds to follow. As much as I love Gap, Inc. their recruiting process is extremely tiring and exclusive.

Interview Questions
  • Given your major, why are you interested in the Retail Management Program?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Retail Management Program Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Gap in November 2013.

1. First interview is a 30 min. phone screen with general behavioral questions and mini-cases.
    2. Next phase is a project given to you to prepare a new brand to add to Gap's portfolio, which you present via Skype 7 days after project is assigned. Interview consisted of a 15-20 min. presentation followed by questions about initial vision, compatibility with existing brands, P&L statements, and long term sustainability.
    3. If they liked your project idea, they fly you out to San Francisco for a two-day interview process with other candidates (there were about 45 of us out of all applicants). First day consisted of math and analytical reasoning tests, followed by a relaxed dinner with previous RMP grads. The next day you spend the entire day at their HQ, where you'll do a group case while being observed the whole time by many Gap executives, then two 2:1 interviews with senior level managers from all 3 areas of the RMP. Very difficult but really comprehensive interviewing process- the recruiters and interviewers were extremely professional and nice!

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for situational questions involving product allocation, upcoming trend forecasts, and financial implications of a decision.   Answer Question
    • They also want to hear your ideas for the company across all levels of business (not just RMP functions) such as marketing initiatives, individual brand improvements, customer relations, e-commerce, global expansion, etc.   Answer Question

Retail Management Program Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

I applied online. Shortly after I received an email to set up an interview. I interviewed with a recruiter over the phone. Hardest interview I've ever had even though I have worked with Gap Inc. for over 5 years and majored in Fashion and Textile Management. The recruiter was very nice though.

Interview Questions
    • If you are out of something in your store and need to get it from the warehouse, what data points should you consider?   Answer Question
    • Why Gap? Why do you want this position?   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I applied through my university and interviewed at the career center.

I applied online with a resume and cover letter, and scheduled an interview through my career center. I interviewed with two people for roughly 25 minutes each. The first part of the interview consisted of behavioral questions, and was very structured. The second part was more conversational, but still structured with behavioral questions. Both ladies were very nice and responsive, but did not give any feedback or ask any questions that weren't on their paper.

Tell me about a time where you had to start a project without any direction.

Why are you interested in retail?

Interview Questions
    • What would you look for in a puffy vests?

If I had 10,000 puffy vests how would I distribute them?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

First phone interview is very basic. Then they give you a project that you need to present which they say takes 8 hours of work. The project description is listed below. They get back to you in about 2 weeks. I wouldn't spend as much time on the project if I had to do it again. Don't focus on how much money they will make with the idea.

Interview Questions
    • For the project- What brand would you create at GAP.   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and received an initial phone screen. The phone screen was a mix of behavioral and retail questions. After passing the phone screen, I was given instructions for creating a presentation that I had to deliver to an HR contracter over Skype. This was kind of jarring for me because I've never had to do a presentation over Skype before. Usually companies the size of Gap Inc. will fly out candidates for in-person presentations, so this made Gap seem a little cheap.

Anyway, the Skype interview took place about a week after I received the initial instructions. I was given 15 minutes to present, after which the interviewer asked me a series of questions based on my presentation. The interviewer didn't have any criticisms and said that she enjoyed my presentation, but I did not move onto the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2008.

Referred in by current Gap Inc. Merchandise Manager; recruiters at select universities only (not mine). Participated in three rounds of in-person interviews: behavioral, project-based, and all-day event including a case-based group interview, two individual interviews with senior management, and a retail math exam. Final round included evening welcome event, as well as sponsored airfare, hotel, and meals. Unspecified but very low acceptance rate -- at least 60 attendees at final round.

Interview Questions
    • What brand should Gap Inc. create next? Create a presentation including business plan, target customer, competitors, merchandise and store design inspiration visuals, and financial outlook.   View Answer
    Hired as part of a class of 15 employees - no negotiation / standard hiring salary and terms.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

I had a first round interview over the phone for the retail management program. I received very little feedback from the recruiter and she really didn't seem overly excited to be talking to me. She asked extremely detailed questions and expected immediate responses. This was especially hard, given that it was over the phone and I wasn't able to see any facial expressions or have her see mine. I did not receive a second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a trend from this past summer that Gap missed?   Answer Question
    • What is a trend for the fall that one of our brands should focus on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2010.

This was a very standard college recruitment interview process that started with a presentation to potential job candidates on campus. The presentation was coordinated by the HR representative, but there were employees from all of the different stores and who were at different stages in their career. The presentation had good content, but was somewhat uncoordinated between the GAP employees who were there to explain what the company was all about.

The interview took place at the career center and consisted of two individual interviews with one HR person and another senior GAP employee. Behavioral questions were asked such as, "tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult decision." It was strange because the two interviews consisted of EXACTLY the same questions and I felt as if I were just repeating what I had already previously said.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult decision you had to make recently.   Answer Question
    • Who are our competitors and how can we differentiate ourselves?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in November 2010.

After submitting my application online I had a 45 minute phone interview with a recruiter. Their whole goal is to make you feel incompetent with the questions they ask.

I got a call back to schedule a video conference call interview and had 7 days to complete a huge project about creating a new brand to incorporate into the Gap portfolio. Didnt move on to the final round because they said my long term financial analysis and profitability report needed more analysis.

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific moment within the last year that you were a leader.   Answer Question
    • Who is your brands biggest competitor and how do you plan to share their market share?   Answer Question

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!