The Gap

Updated Apr 30, 2014

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Interview Details – Format of interview – Two interviews with a recruiter and a business partner. The interviews lasted between 50 minutes and one hour.

Though I thought the first conversation went well and I really clicked with a business partner, when I went to speak with a recruiter (which happened to be in charge of the whole recruiting/retail management/internship program, I couldn't seem to click with her. She seemed to dismiss my answers, didn't seem engaged in what I said, and did not answer my questions about the position or herself with much enthusiasm.

While I think I could've handled the second interview better, I felt that two interviews back-to-back within the course of an hour was exhausting and nerve wracking, especially given their high positions. If I had passed through this round, there still would've been two more rounds to follow. As much as I love Gap, Inc. their recruiting process is extremely tiring and exclusive.

Interview Question – Given your major, why are you interested in the Retail Management Program?   Answer Question

Retail Management Program

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in November 2013.

Interview Details – 1. First interview is a 30 min. phone screen with general behavioral questions and mini-cases.
2. Next phase is a project given to you to prepare a new brand to add to Gap's portfolio, which you present via Skype 7 days after project is assigned. Interview consisted of a 15-20 min. presentation followed by questions about initial vision, compatibility with existing brands, P&L statements, and long term sustainability.
3. If they liked your project idea, they fly you out to San Francisco for a two-day interview process with other candidates (there were about 45 of us out of all applicants). First day consisted of math and analytical reasoning tests, followed by a relaxed dinner with previous RMP grads. The next day you spend the entire day at their HQ, where you'll do a group case while being observed the whole time by many Gap executives, then two 2:1 interviews with senior level managers from all 3 areas of the RMP. Very difficult but really comprehensive interviewing process- the recruiters and interviewers were extremely professional and nice!

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for situational questions involving product allocation, upcoming trend forecasts, and financial implications of a decision.   Answer Question
  • They also want to hear your ideas for the company across all levels of business (not just RMP functions) such as marketing initiatives, individual brand improvements, customer relations, e-commerce, global expansion, etc.   Answer Question

Retail Management Program

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. Shortly after I received an email to set up an interview. I interviewed with a recruiter over the phone. Hardest interview I've ever had even though I have worked with Gap Inc. for over 5 years and majored in Fashion and Textile Management. The recruiter was very nice though.

Interview Questions

• If you are out of something in your store and need to get it from the warehouse, what data points should you consider?   Answer Question
  • Why Gap? Why do you want this position?   View Answer

Retail Management Program

Interview Details – I applied through my university and interviewed at the career center.

I applied online with a resume and cover letter, and scheduled an interview through my career center. I interviewed with two people for roughly 25 minutes each. The first part of the interview consisted of behavioral questions, and was very structured. The second part was more conversational, but still structured with behavioral questions. Both ladies were very nice and responsive, but did not give any feedback or ask any questions that weren't on their paper.

Tell me about a time where you had to start a project without any direction.

Why are you interested in retail?

Interview Question – What would you look for in a puffy vests?

If I had 10,000 puffy vests how would I distribute them?
  Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – First phone interview is very basic. Then they give you a project that you need to present which they say takes 8 hours of work. The project description is listed below. They get back to you in about 2 weeks. I wouldn't spend as much time on the project if I had to do it again. Don't focus on how much money they will make with the idea.

Interview Question – For the project- What brand would you create at GAP.   View Answer

Retail Management Program

I applied online and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an initial phone screen. The phone screen was a mix of behavioral and retail questions. After passing the phone screen, I was given instructions for creating a presentation that I had to deliver to an HR contracter over Skype. This was kind of jarring for me because I've never had to do a presentation over Skype before. Usually companies the size of Gap Inc. will fly out candidates for in-person presentations, so this made Gap seem a little cheap.

Anyway, the Skype interview took place about a week after I received the initial instructions. I was given 15 minutes to present, after which the interviewer asked me a series of questions based on my presentation. The interviewer didn't have any criticisms and said that she enjoyed my presentation, but I did not move onto the next round.

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details – First round is a phone interview. When they call you they get right down to business. In my case, I have been working for the company in the store level for quite a while. This wasn't a typical behavioral interview, they asked specific questions about business and fashion. I was told during this interview they would not ask me back for a second interview, however the interviewer went over the questions with me and told me better answers I could have given. Although I was crushed, that was extremely helpful!

Interview Question – Questions weren't too hard if you have ever worked in retail before, but they want you to be extremely in depth. Know about the company product!   Answer Question

Retail Management Program

I applied through college or university and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I met a Gap rep at a career fair and subsequently interviewed with their representatives at the career center. After talking to the recruiters, I think we both understood that I was looking for something else. However, the interview process is what is expected. Read other people's comments on questions. They ask the same exact questions.

Interview Question – Typical Behavioral Questions   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2008.

Interview Details – Referred in by current Gap Inc. Merchandise Manager; recruiters at select universities only (not mine). Participated in three rounds of in-person interviews: behavioral, project-based, and all-day event including a case-based group interview, two individual interviews with senior management, and a retail math exam. Final round included evening welcome event, as well as sponsored airfare, hotel, and meals. Unspecified but very low acceptance rate -- at least 60 attendees at final round.

Interview Question – What brand should Gap Inc. create next? Create a presentation including business plan, target customer, competitors, merchandise and store design inspiration visuals, and financial outlook.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hired as part of a class of 15 employees - no negotiation / standard hiring salary and terms.

Retail Management Program

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in January 2012.

Interview Details – The lady who interviewd me was not very friendly. They asked me several questions which, I work internally for the company, and I didn't even know some of the answers! THey encourage all majors to apply, so it worries me a bit that unless you know a LOT about all of the brands, you will feel unprepared, which is how I felt. They also asked you some math questions, which I felt very akward doing because I know she was just waiting on the other end for me to answer them. I felt rushed and flustered so I did the problem incorreclt, and she rudely told me my answer was incorrect. Then I had to do it over again and she condescendly told me the correct way to do the problem. They emailed me a few days after letting me know they decided to persue other candidates. I wasn't shocked, but my experience just wasn't that great.

Interview Questions

• What trend did the Gap miss last year?   View Answer
  • If you have 5,000 puffy vests and 120 stores in which to distribute these vests, what information and indicators do you consider when distributing these vests?   View Answers (2)

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!