The Gap Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

After applying online, was a brief telephone interview with one of store managers after which scheduled a group interview. Group interview was with 6 candidate, open question and answer format with standard customer service and retail trends questions such as, describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.... After q&a we viewed Gap Inc videos.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Gap.

Extremely brief and easy. Their is high turnover, so they are usually looking for people. Try to get a job near the holidays and keep it indefinitely. Overall, a very easy process that was a breeze. I could see it being a little more stressful for someone who has never worked before.

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Gap in October 2014.

I filled out the application and the next day I got a call for an interview a week later. It was a group interview about 12 people for a new store they're opening so they're were going to be a lot of job opportunities. They asked us 3 simple questions and told us they would let us know by the end of the week. I was called Tuesday mid-day and offed a position.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time where you realized you made a mistake and what you did to fix it.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Initial phone call to inquire about a scheduled group interview time, then employer asks a question to all applicants, then breaks off in 1:1 questions. After interview, usually get a phone call in 3-5 days with a (potential offer), then watch many videos on company values and positions that are available.

Interview Questions
    • What personal trait do you think you need to improve on the most and how do you think you can achieve success here?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and then got a call a week later, then took part in a group interview. Then about two days later got the call for an orientation, which I learned I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Gap.

2 interviews. Very professional and courteous staff in the store. I felt welcomed by all who I interacted with. One interview was with one assistant manager and one with the other. I didn't meet the store manager until after I was hired. Questions were fairly simple , some scenario-type proposals where you had to describe how you would react to a situation.

Interview Questions
    • "Sell me this bra"- coming to a male applicant, a little difficult of a question. I can't remember if it was a bra- but it was something in the women's section that most men wouldn't wear.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate....whoops.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Initially, they preformed a group interview. 6-8 people. I was interviewed by the GM of the store, who asked a few typical interview questions. They either go around the table for answers or they let you raise your hand. Half hour interview. The next day the GM called me for a second interview. The second interview was one on one, getting to know me personally. After he was satisfied we started doing the paperwork to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • Who is influential to your life, why?
      What does GAP mean to you?
      Whats a weakness of yours?

Answer Question
    No negotiations. 10.50 an hour. PT only.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodburn, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodburn, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Gap in April 2013.

I applied online and got a call for an interview two days later. I went in for my interview and the manager was very nice and went out of his way to ask questions that relate to me, since I didn't have any prior work experience. The interview took about 15 minutes long and I was offered the job right on the spot.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Gap in November 2012.

Was contacted with a decent amount of time to plan ahead for the interview. Asked a few questions regarding how well I work with others, asked to explain different experiences that I've had while shopping retail.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was unsatisfactory with your performance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

Relate, Engage, Advise, Listen = REAL are the four major skills that Gap is really looking for. They want to make sure their associate are able to establish a connection with the customer in order to solve their problem. They're also looking for people that are passionate about fashion and Gap. I told my interview about how I grew up as a Gap kid and recalling shopping with my mom all the time. She also asked me about my interest and we bonded over makeup. So the interview didn't even really end up being about the Gap. We just found a common interest and were able to relate, engage, advise, and listen.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a difficult customer, how did you solve the problem?   Answer Question