The Gap

Average Difficulty
255 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details – Went in the store for introduction then applied online. I had an one on one interview with the manager and the interview questions were pretty standard. Mostly about previous work experience and how I would handle difficult situations. Helps to be stylish and be on top of trends. (I wasn't asked to style outfits like some reviews below)

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call from the store one month later. I went in for an interview that day. The associates who were working seemed nice enough. Overall low-key environment. My interviewer (the hiring manager for the store) was dressed fairly casually, in a Gap maxi dress. In this particular store the interview was very informal and friendly.

Interview Question – There were few questions and all of them were very easy. Availability, previous retail experience, "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Greenville, SC

I interviewed at The Gap in May 2010.

Interview Details – Quick interview, be very nice and be clean, stylish. It is a one round interview. expect to know you got the job before you leave the interview. Just be personable. Be yourself. They are not looking to hire rocket scientists.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected, but before you go into the interview, be sure to think of 'a time you were persuasive' have it on your mind.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you have about 50 cents worth of wiggle room from whatever they offer.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by one of the store managers by phone. We chatted briefly about the brand and my experiences in the retail industry. At the time, I lived an hour away, and was searching for an apartment in the city. They were very open to scheduling my group interview at my convenience. I had my group interview with 3 other girls. We were given a card with a customer description and had to style an outfit based on the customer profile. We then had a fairly laid back group discussion regarding the customer we "helped". Then we discussed our experiences and the manager asked us basic questions about the company. My second interview was with the senior general manager. I was prepared to have a formal interview, but it was really relaxed. She asked me several questions about customer service and selling tactics. She then asked me when I could start and we discussed pay (which was non-negotiable). I was confident I had already gotten the job, because I talked with my first interviewer, whom stated that if you make it to the second interview, you're pretty much guaranteed a job. I got a call within a couple of days with an official job offer.

Interview Question – Very basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation in pay.

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2012.

Interview Details – First, there is an online application. You can apply through a resume and cover letter submission, and answer various questions. It's simple and the interface is easy.

What I did was also go to the store I wanted to be hired in (with proper business attire) and hand a physical copy to the LOD (Leader On Duty or Manager). The next day, I got a call for an interview, and I met with them a few days later. It was literally a one-on-one interview with the General Manager of the store, and she was awesome. This was at my Louisville store in 2012. It was very laid back and simple.

I received an offer the next day and was hired. The training process was also very simple.

Negotiation Details – I was told my amount per hour and I was also told there was no negotiating it. I was okay with the amount, albeit a bit low.

Edinburgh, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring was a breeze. The manager asked how I worked with other people, what motivates me, and evaluated my strengths and, of course, my weaknesses. She was caring and genuinly interested in what I was saying. They aren't looking for perfect, written and practiced answers, but for flaw because Gap loves hiring real people that they think are personable and will show success.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward and to the point.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I was taken to the back room by the hiring manager and was asked about my experience and very easy questions such as "What is an example of great customer service?". Several employees walked in during in the interview which was very distracting.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you worked with a team and was successful? And why.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The location was too far from my house and school, and just not worth the amount of gas I would be paying each week.

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details – You have to apply online and send your resume in. The different stores all have access to your information and will call you if there is a spot needed. if they like you then you get an online scenario test then they will call to set up and interview. Interview you have to put together outfits

Interview Question – Putting together an outfit for a specific type of customer   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online a week later got a call to be apart of a group interview. It was 11 people interviewing, it was a tad bit awkward and intimidating. Ask standard question nothing to difficult.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewing process was okay. Everyone seemed very well put together and was very nice. The management team was very responsive and the staff is always friendly. Overall i received a lot of positive feedback throughout the interview process.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 255 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.