The Gap

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Getting the Interview

233 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was sent an email letting me know the were interested in interviewing me, I had to send a date and time I coud do it, when I got there I was shocked. It was a group interview I had did for the first time. I hated it, you have to really sale yourself and be upfront and aggressive for the job. I had peopole answering over me and was not at ease when I left. I knew I would not get a job offer. Basically bad

Interview Questions

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in April 2011.

Interview Details – I first got a call from the manager about 3 days after I applied online. When I was at the interview, we started off with a set of very basic questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. After the questions, the manager asked me to go inside of the store and pick a couple of outfits that reflected my personality. I then explained the outfits to him and related them to myself. Afterwards, we had a sort of role playing activity in which the manager was a customer and I was a sales associate. When these two activities were done, he very politely explained my flaws and gave me wonderful suggestions on how to improve my approach to customers. Since this was my very first time applying for a job in the retail environment, I learned a lot about this field. The manager was very polite and professional.

Interview Question – Describe a current fashion trend in which you are interested.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online a few days later they called a scheduled an interview. They ask a few questions like, how do you keep up with the latest trends, what is gap most known for, etc. Then you pick out two outfits one dressy and one casual, you explain it to the manager and they ask you how would you change it for work or a bigger person. After that you act like you're working there and the manager pretends to be customer looking for some thing to wear and you help them. After that he said theyll call back for another interview and never did.

Interview Question – What is gap most known for?   View Answer

Bartlesville, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in May 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out an application and was phoned to set up a face-to-face interview within the week. Interview was conducted on sales floor, which I thought was very strange and somewhat unprofessional. Interviewer was an assistant manager who looked like he couldn't care less about his job, automatic turn-off, didn't want to work there anymore

Interview Question – "Why do you think you will be good at working in the clothing industry"   Answer Question

Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Interview Details – You can apply in person or on the internet. The interview process is usually in a group and the expected outlook is to be customer-oriented, and have an appreciation for the clothing/retail industry.

Interview Question – What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really negotiable, but usually you will be given base pay at $9.50/hr

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview followed by 1 on 1. Interviewed by manager for the department applied for. Basic questions about retail experience, customer service skills and why you want to work for the company

Interview Question – Why did you choose the gap   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – Job postings were located on the Gap website under employment. You would search for the area and/or store number of the Gap you wish to apply to, compete the online survey and personal questionnaire, and finally attaching and submitting your application. Pretty straight forward group interview, the assistant manager brought up a scenario and listened to each individual answer on how we would handle said scenario.

Interview Question – A co-worker walks into the store and greets you and continues to walk to the stock room. Moments later, he leaves the stock room and you notice he is wearing a different shirt he was initially wearing going into the room. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Štore (Slovenia)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out a lengthy online application. Had a long questionnaire of situational questions/personality questions. Received a call back four days later to ask further questions and set up an interview.
Dress smart for the interview, but no formal wear just think "Gap-smart". One on one interview about past experience.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in February 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews. One group and one with 2 managers. Was simple and to the point.

Interview Question – NOthing really unexpected   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I applied for this position online and received a callback the following week. It was a group interview with 5 other people. We went into the backroom and the interviewer sat us all down. She introduced herself to us, stated how long she has been working there, her position, and what working there is like. She told us the process would be that she would ask a question, and anyone could answer. She didn't expect every one of us to answer, and that was my problem. Others would answer before me, and before I could get a chance she would say something and then move on to the next question. After the questions, she asked if we had any questions. One asked what it was like to work there, and what the customers were like. Most of the interview was the interviewer talking and describing the company, the type of work and environment, the type of people, and such and such. After the questions, she paired us up into 3 groups and we each had to build an outfit for a specific occasion. Me and my partner created an semi-formal dinner for a man, and the two other groups did semi-formal for a woman and a toddler. After, we had to present our outfit. My knowledge from watching What Not to Wear and my own personal opinions helped. Unfortunately, I didn't get a callback. I made the mistake of not answering many of the questions, and this resulted in my failure. Be sure to answer as many questions as possible, go first if you have to, and be presentable and fun.

Interview Question – Why Gap?

What makes a good employee?

Are you able to work in alert environments?
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 233 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.