The Gap

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Getting the Interview

233 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Bartlesville, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in May 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out an application and was phoned to set up a face-to-face interview within the week. Interview was conducted on sales floor, which I thought was very strange and somewhat unprofessional. Interviewer was an assistant manager who looked like he couldn't care less about his job, automatic turn-off, didn't want to work there anymore

Interview Question – "Why do you think you will be good at working in the clothing industry"   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online a few days later they called a scheduled an interview. They ask a few questions like, how do you keep up with the latest trends, what is gap most known for, etc. Then you pick out two outfits one dressy and one casual, you explain it to the manager and they ask you how would you change it for work or a bigger person. After that you act like you're working there and the manager pretends to be customer looking for some thing to wear and you help them. After that he said theyll call back for another interview and never did.

Interview Question – What is gap most known for?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was sent an email letting me know the were interested in interviewing me, I had to send a date and time I coud do it, when I got there I was shocked. It was a group interview I had did for the first time. I hated it, you have to really sale yourself and be upfront and aggressive for the job. I had peopole answering over me and was not at ease when I left. I knew I would not get a job offer. Basically bad

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview followed by 1 on 1. Interviewed by manager for the department applied for. Basic questions about retail experience, customer service skills and why you want to work for the company

Interview Question – Why did you choose the gap   View Answer

Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Interview Details – You can apply in person or on the internet. The interview process is usually in a group and the expected outlook is to be customer-oriented, and have an appreciation for the clothing/retail industry.

Interview Question – What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really negotiable, but usually you will be given base pay at $9.50/hr

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in April 2011.

Interview Details – I first got a call from the manager about 3 days after I applied online. When I was at the interview, we started off with a set of very basic questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. After the questions, the manager asked me to go inside of the store and pick a couple of outfits that reflected my personality. I then explained the outfits to him and related them to myself. Afterwards, we had a sort of role playing activity in which the manager was a customer and I was a sales associate. When these two activities were done, he very politely explained my flaws and gave me wonderful suggestions on how to improve my approach to customers. Since this was my very first time applying for a job in the retail environment, I learned a lot about this field. The manager was very polite and professional.

Interview Question – Describe a current fashion trend in which you are interested.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend who was a GAP employee.

The manager had called me for an interview few months after I turned in my application.

A group interview was conducted. It was casual. The manager had asked each of us questions. The questions were quite easy and all related to past job experiences and situations that might happen in a retail setting.

Interview Question – Have you faced difficulties during your previous employment?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an online application which was about scheduling availability, customer service knowledge, some fashion knowledge, etc, along with the usual information you would expect on an application. I was called to schedule an interview a few days afterward. The interview was one on one and the questions focused on customer service/sales skills. The manager also told me about how their scheduling worked and their emphasis on employees making sales. I was also asked to go around the store for 5 minutes and create an outfit. Then I was asked to demonstrate (with the interviewer) how I would sell that outfit to a potential customer.

Interview Question – Describe the look of the clothes that Gap sells. (i.e. adjectives)   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online few days later received an email to schedule a interview replied to the email minutes later. Got to the interview 30 minutes early so I browsed the store. Went to the interview spot with six others. Doing name check my name was not on the list but she let me stay and be interviewed. Started off with why do you want to work for Gap. I volunteered first and we continued with different interview questions. She gave us 10 minutes to pick out a outfit and 1 item that you don't like and sale it to the crowd. After that we wrote down the time we were available. I was actually surprised to receive a email offering me the position because after my name wasnt on the list I had the whatever attitude and didnt care if I got it or not.

Astoria, NY

Interview Details – Asked basic interview questions. They are big on deterring customers who steal using great customer service. The Gap never confronts them to make them feel uncomfortable. Also what you think good customer service is and what is bad customer service. Best advice to smile and be "bubbly".

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw someone stealing and no managers were around?   Answer Question
  • How would you help a customer that needed assistance finding a gift?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nada.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 233 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.