The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.2

273 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Iinteriew with 5 other people, sat in a room, did an ie breaker. Interviewer asked basic questions such as explain an experience you had with a customer, why do you want to work a tGAP, what are two things a sales associate should have.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Gap.

Applied at a job fair and online. Group interview with 5 people. Interviewer was very friendly and put us at ease. We pulled 2 different looks, one to describe us and another to wear in fall/winter. After explaining the looks we were asked a few questions. Overall it was good and dare I say fun?

Interview Questions
    • Do you value personal or team goals more and why?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

As soon as I was submitting the job application they asked me if I had time for an interview, right there and then. The interview lasted like around an hour and mainly questions about customer service. A week after they called to offer the job.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was to demonstrate that even though I didn't have experience in a retail store I knew about customer service.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

Apply when a big holiday is coming up because you almost guarantee to get the job, about 1-5 days they will call you to set up an interview with one of the managers there. They will ask you simple questions like why you wanna work there, your previous employers why you left, your hobbies etc. Also they will go over the policies they have. If you get the job job then you are required to watch some videos thats probably like 3 hours long, good thing about that is that you still get paid for watching them

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flatbush, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flatbush, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

Regular retail questions. You apply online and they will call you. It is easy. Just dont be nervous. Sometimes it is group interview sometimes they are one on one interview.

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Applied online, and took about half a year to received a call in for an interview. When you come in for your initial first contact interview you meet with the lead manager and you have a 1 on 1 interview with them. These questions are mostly behavioral questions and also about your past experiences and your goals. Then for the second interview, you will be paired with someone else and asked team orientated interviews. Then at the end of the second interview you will receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    You write how much you expect to be paid on a piece of paper, and the manager also writes you an offer on a piece of paper.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

first I did the online application, about 2 weeks later, i got a call to come in for a group interview. I arrived 30 minutes early and looked around the store while the interviewer was getting ready. It was 4 people in total and we were taken to the back room and sat down at a couch. They asked us if we had any job experience, a time where we had to deal with people, and how we would describe our fashion style and who our fashion role model was. And that was it

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with people or customers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

To apply for a job as sales associate for Gap, I first did a lengthy online application that asks usual questions, such as past experience, and then asks you scenario questions and gives you options on how you would handle the situation. It took the store about 3-5 days to call me and set up an interview. The first interview took place at a table in the store, with about 13 other applicants. The group was split in half and the hiring manager went around each person in the group and asked questions about why we like the brand, how we would describe our style, and what we looked forward most to if hired. Then, she described a customer for the group and gave the group 10 minutes to run around the store so each applicant could pick an outfit that best fit the needs of the customer. Then, the group would come back to the table and describe their outfit and why they chose what they did. For the second interview, a smaller group of about 6 people met at the same table and got asked questions by another manager. These included where we had last shopped, reviewing what had been asked in the last interview, and then opened it up for questions. The second interview lasted 10 minutes at most. I was offered a position and salary two days after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult task was choosing an outfit, but mostly because you were under pressure to choose something unique yet served the same or similar purpose as your fellow applicant's outfits.   View Answer
    As a sales associate with little experience, I didn't negotiate at all and it was clear that I was not expected to negotiate my starting wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

Initially I was interview by the scheduling manager. He asked a few questions about my prior experience. As well as a few situational questions. It was very lax and I wore clothes that would be appropriate for working there. He offered me a hourly wage of $10.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do?" type of questions such if you see a fellow employee stealing, what the protocol should be.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call the next day to set up an interview. The call was confusing because she asked me about my availability and even though I told her she was still confused on the hours that I could work. When it was time for the interview, she asked a lot of the basic questions. This was my 1st ever interview and I was kind of surprised when she made me go out on the floor and pretend to help people out. After the interview was done, she said that she would call the next day, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • Either having to go out on the floor or what was the worst type of customer service you've had?   Answer Question