The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in March 2015.

I applied online back in the beginning of January and got a super unexpected call in the middle of March. I guess it had to do with the hiring process, because I was told they were hiring a lot of people now. The interview was very laid back but went very well, felt just like a conversation and not an interview. I was interviewed in the middle of the store so I was expecting to be pulling items off the rack for an outfit. It barely lasted about seven minutes but by the end of it I think she had already made her decision, felt pretty good about it. Got a call back on Friday (interview was on Monday). They are looking for "energetic, friendly, smiling people" so just be yourself!

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at The Gap in March 2015.

I had two interview with GAP. My first interview with GAP is with the store that they got back to me about 2 days after I applied. I had the interview the next 2 days. There are the store manager and the Assistant manager interview me. They are very friendly and relax. They ask me some basic question and ask me to pick out the outfit and convince their to buy. I didn't get the job the first time. My second GAP at another location, this is one-one interview. She also very friendly and relax. She asked a few questions like the first interview. Both oF the interview is conservations. At the end of the interview. She said she will give her decision to the new manager ( because she move to another location) . After a week, I received the call to offer the job and ask if I can come to the Orientation on Sunday. I so excited to start working there

Interview Questions
    • What is your availability?
      How you deal with difficult customers?
      "What if..." Questions
      Pick out an outfit

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in August 2012.

Applied online and got a call the next day. It was a group interview with 6 applicants. You have to standout and answer almost every questions. Your selling skills will also be tested.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

Well I applied online, about a few days went by and I got a call asking if I was interested in interviewing. I had to go to an old navy to interview, our store was being built. I walked up to a few people standing outside the store (group interview) and little did I know 2 of them were the manager and the GM. They were so friendly! We went to the back and sat down, we went around and had to give our background and more about ourselves and stand up and share about our outfit and how it goes with our personality. We did a few generic questions and at the end we had to sale them a pink box to one of them. You had to think on your feet but it was really funny and a great way to end the interview. The same day I got a call to offer me the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you and another coworker had a conflict with each other?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in December 2011.

Group interview. I wax in a group of 7 people. The interviewer asked us all a variety of different questions. From there, about half were selected to attend the next level of interview questions. This process was individual.

Interview Questions
    • What was the worst customer service experience you ever had?   Answer Question
    Pay negotiations were poor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap in January 2011.

It was very good I had one interview the manager was very nice she asked me some questions about what I enjoy doing to see if it would make sense for me to work there because I had no work experience at the time. Later on I received a call requesting if I would like to take the job and that was that.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in October 2014.

Applied online. Received a call for an interview a few weeks later and asked to come in. I was the first one they interviewed so I would recommend getting the first time slot they have. I was asked the standard interview questions, eg. What are your weaknesses? What do you know about GAP? How do you stay up to date with the latest fashions?
    Later on in the interview, I was asked "How would you sell this to a customer?". I had a scarf in my bag and asked if I could use it as a prop. They like very interactive, chatty people as customer is always first at GAP. Working at GAP, we were always asking people if they needed any help so try to be interactive like that.

Got a call back a week later and was offered a job and started my induction the next day!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

It was fast and easy just be yourself. We talked about everything I made up different outfits and got the job and I started the next day and it was good.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in February 2015.

I went & asked the manager at Gap outlet in-person if she was hiring.
    She said yes, so I went home I applied about 3 days later.
    I gave her a call the morning I applied, telling her to let her know, referencing that we'd met in-person, etc.
    She said she'd try to get me into an interview the next week, but she never called me back.
    So I called for the 2nd time, asked her about my application & why no call-back, she said she'd try to get me in again the coming week.
    I was surprised when she actually kept her word the second time around & called me that Tuesday.
    She asked if I'd prefer interview on Wednesday or Saturday (valentines day) & asked me to come in at 2. I chose Saturday so I'd have more time to prepare.
    The interview was supposed to be a group one. But it was only me and one other girl, the other person never showed up. There were 2 interviewers, one young dude one young lady.
    All in all it was pretty easy.

The hardest part was reviewing the Gap card flash cards & trying to sell it to the lady interviewer at the end.
    Mainly bc I've never done that before, I was trying to draw on how I see other cashier sell cards but I think I did ok. Maybe a bit timid.
    We also picked out surprise date night outfits beforehand, I chose the lady's, the other girl interviewee chose the guy's outfit.

Lastly, I wasn't too surprised to be denied in the email I got a couple days later because the other girl I was being interview with worked at Nordstrom previously. I'm a high schoolar with no retail experience what so ever. So she kept talking about her past job at Nordstrom & I could only talk about fellow volunteers I worked with or my favorite teacher, instead of favorite boss /:

Interview Questions
    • “Name & your favorite summer thing to do?”
      “Talk about your favorite teacher or boss and what made them your favorite?”
      “Do you think a Team goal or a Single, personal goal is more important? Like which would you pick and why?”
      “Describe a time where you dealt with an uncomfortable event?”
      “What about a time where you didn’t agree with the rules but followed them anyway? It doesn’t have to be anything super serious, it could be the dress code you had to wear to work, etc”
      “Tell me about a time where you received feedback from a coworker?”
      “Tell me about about a time you received great customer service?”
      “Do you have any questions for us?”

View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

It was quite easy, but hard at the same time depending on the questions I was asked. Think a lot about what you are wearing, your favourite item of clothing, etc. Won't hear back for a week or so whether i've got it or not.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your style icon? What is your favourite item of clothing and why? What could you bring to our store? What did you learn from your previous job? why did you leave your previous job? They didn't ask that many personal questions. I had a phone interview before the one on one interview, where they asked about my availability, skills, if the hours of the contract suited me etc. The manager also asked me if I had any questions so it would be a good idea if you have a few questions prepared. I asked what it was like to work in Gap and he said he loved it but there are good days and bad days. Great experience overall. I havent yet been offered employment as the interview was only yesterday however I have to chose if I did.   Answer Question