The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.2

269 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in November 2007.

I was called by the hiring manager and she just wanted to set up a time to talk to me. It basically seemed like I had the job already and during the interview she asked me situational questions as though I were already hired and apart of the team. The biggest question I remember that was different than any other normal retail interview was if I had any problem asking people to sign up for their credit card. Then she told me that some people had a problem with that and they were against it for various reason, but it was an important part of the job.

Interview Questions
  • How do you feel about offering the Gap credit to customers and how would you offer?   View Answers (2)
No, she just called me and said that I was hired and that they were offering me $8 an hour.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in January 2008.

I went in and submitted my application and was called back for a group interview with an asst manager (I think there were 7 of us?). After that I got a call for a 1:1 interview with the store manager. At that point I was hired at my desired pay level.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vacaville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in May 2008.

I had a pre-interview when I turned in my application to the manager in regards to my reason for applying to GAP, what my past experiences were, what could I bring to GAP as a potential employee...Then I had my one on one interview with one of the managers and they asked the basic.....what are your positive and negative qualities, situational questions.....nothing big. I was told right after the interview whether I was hired or not and I was immediately hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react when you spot a customer trying to steal an item from the store?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in August 2008.

Walked into the store to apply. Was directed to the company web site to complete the online application. Online application consisted of standard questions as well as a personality profile quiz. Took about 30 minutes to complete the application.

Was contacted by the store about 2 days after completing the application. Interviewed with the Assistant Store Manager. The staff was very professional and the interview was quite thorough but relaxed. At the conclusion of the interview the manager indicated that they expected to contact me within the next 2-3 days. I was contacted the next day and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to provide service to a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work as a team.   Answer Question
    There was not much room for salary negotiation. The starting pay rate for the position appears to be standard for most new hires, regardless of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2008.

The manager basically asked about some stress related experience I've had on the job and about my organization skills.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your most stressful work related scenario and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    There was none. I started at the same rate as everyone else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in November 2008.

Interviewed and was hired imediately (the same day). Came in the same week to feel out paper work. i was told what the job paid. Did not negotiate my wage. Tip: Know what you are worth, don't settle if you don't have to. Friendly coworkers. Not too much drama.

Interview Questions
    • What didn't you like about your last job? or Why are you leaving your current postion.   View Answer
    • What can talents can you bring to our company?   View Answer
    Did not try to negotiate. Was just happy to have a job. Once again, know what you are worth. Before the interview calculate what you can live on and what you cannot...what you will be giving up and gaining.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in November 2008.

screening over the phone to discuss availability.
    1:1 interview with a couple general questions.
    very laid back process.

Interview Questions
    i was able to receive the pay rate that i wanted at the time.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in December 2008.

The interview was relatively easy but I had had retail experience before so I believe that helped. I sat down with one of the managers in the back room and she asked me a couple questions about what I knew about kids clothing (I interviewed for Gap Kids) and what I liked about retail and that sort of thing.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if there was a wild kid running around in the store?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in January 2009.

The ask you questions regarding things that were mentioned during your first interview. The second interview was a group panel interview.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2009.

I was referred by a friend who was a GAP employee.

The manager had called me for an interview few months after I turned in my application.

A group interview was conducted. It was casual. The manager had asked each of us questions. The questions were quite easy and all related to past job experiences and situations that might happen in a retail setting.

Interview Questions
    • Have you faced difficulties during your previous employment?   Answer Question

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!