The Gap

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Average Difficulty
260 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2012.

Interview Details – First, there is an online application. You can apply through a resume and cover letter submission, and answer various questions. It's simple and the interface is easy.

What I did was also go to the store I wanted to be hired in (with proper business attire) and hand a physical copy to the LOD (Leader On Duty or Manager). The next day, I got a call for an interview, and I met with them a few days later. It was literally a one-on-one interview with the General Manager of the store, and she was awesome. This was at my Louisville store in 2012. It was very laid back and simple.

I received an offer the next day and was hired. The training process was also very simple.

Negotiation Details – I was told my amount per hour and I was also told there was no negotiating it. I was okay with the amount, albeit a bit low.

Edinburgh, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring was a breeze. The manager asked how I worked with other people, what motivates me, and evaluated my strengths and, of course, my weaknesses. She was caring and genuinly interested in what I was saying. They aren't looking for perfect, written and practiced answers, but for flaw because Gap loves hiring real people that they think are personable and will show success.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward and to the point.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I was taken to the back room by the hiring manager and was asked about my experience and very easy questions such as "What is an example of great customer service?". Several employees walked in during in the interview which was very distracting.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you worked with a team and was successful? And why.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The location was too far from my house and school, and just not worth the amount of gas I would be paying each week.

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details – You have to apply online and send your resume in. The different stores all have access to your information and will call you if there is a spot needed. if they like you then you get an online scenario test then they will call to set up and interview. Interview you have to put together outfits

Interview Question – Putting together an outfit for a specific type of customer   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online a week later got a call to be apart of a group interview. It was 11 people interviewing, it was a tad bit awkward and intimidating. Ask standard question nothing to difficult.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewing process was okay. Everyone seemed very well put together and was very nice. The management team was very responsive and the staff is always friendly. Overall i received a lot of positive feedback throughout the interview process.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the mall, walking store to store to see if they were hiring. As I entered GAP I happened to run into the manager, introduced myself, and asked if they were hiring. They took down my name and number, told me to apply online, and said they will call for an interview in a week.
The application process was easy, although I was scared because GAP would be my first job. It gives you a place to put your resume and asks you situation questions. I recommend reading the job requirements before doing the application because they helped me learn GAP goals.
After not getting called back for a week, I decided to call to see if the position was still opened. I called at 8:00pm, an hour before closing, and said I was "doing a followup to check the status of my application." The hiring manager was not there so they took down my name and number, and around noon the next day I got a call to come in for an interview.
The interview process was definitely interesting. I wore a dress with a cardigan and sandals, and to be honest I feel a bit too dressed up. However the hiring manager told me she loved my outfit and that GAP loves dresses. The questions were simple at first, from "Tell me about yourself?" "What is your avaliability?" "Why did you chose the GAP?" and "Tell me about your previous work experiences." However, I was a bit thrown off when asked to describe and try to sell my outfit to the manager, although I think I did well. I recommend talking a lot about community service even if you don't have work experience, as GAP does a lot to give back. I also read up on policies and things GAP does such as support workers right, women's wages, service and being green. I have to say the biggest curve ball was being asked to grab a walkie, stand in front of the store, and pretend to be an employee. I was terrified and didnt know what to do, so I cleaned, greeted customers, and asked the manager if he needed help as he was walking past with a handful of clothing. Although I thought the interview went well overall, the last part scared me to death. I was told I would be called in a week.
I was soooo stressed after the interview, as it had been my first, yet I knew I tried my hardest and felt comfortable with the laid back yet professional work enviroment I had experienced. Thankfully I recieved a call after 6 days asking if I would accept the job for 8.50$ and hour and was invited for orientation the next day.
Overall, I feel that GAP is a great buisness with much to offer, even as a first job for younger people. The workers I met have all been kind, funny, and hard-working, and the managers have all been friendly and are not mean or snobby. I cannot wait to start my new job and wish the best in the process for all of you looking this up because you're freaking out as much as I was!

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself"
"What hours would work for you?"
"Why did you chose the GAP?"
"Tell me about your previous work experiences"
"Try to sell your outfit to me"
**"Pretend to be a Gap employee"
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I settled for 8.50$, did not even try to negotiate.

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applies for Gap Kids online, and got a call back about 2 1/2 weeks later. My first interview was with the Assistant Manager, myself, and another applicant. She asked us to interview each other for 3 minuets, so definitely look at some interview questions before going in. This interview lasted about 30 minuets. At the end of the interview, the Assistant Manager asked us to come in the next day to have a second interview (mine was one on one with the Manager). The second interview was a lot easier and less nerve-wrecking because it was mostly an overview of the first interview, going over my resume, discussing the job duties, and a few simple questions about availability.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you worked with an authority figure (boss, teacher, etc.) who you didn't get along with, and one who you did get along with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate because the starting pay rate was a lot higher than I expected ($9.75/hr.)
Note: This job is at Stanford Shopping center so I'm not sure if the pay rate is the same in other locations.

Wembley, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Interview Details – My experience when interviewing for the gap was great. The Hiring manager was warm, friendly and welcoming. I was asked fun questions about fashion about my personality and to put together outfits. Overall the team seemed energetic, positive, and a young group working together to reach targets. As a graduate student looking for a part time job it was definitely a positive place to learn some different skills and have fun as well!

Interview Question – There was not really a difficult question. The most surprising task was to put together an outfit for a specific person and event.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Florence, AL

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took them about a month to get back to me. I applied online. The interview process was with the manager and one other worker. I interviewed with another person. The questions were pretty much easy common questions. I made sure I knew knowledge of a gap and how i would describe myself.

Interview Question – Unexpected question was: How would you describe your style?   Answer Question