The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.2

269 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

They called me around a week after I submitted my application asking for a phone interview. It was basic questions but also questions about what style magazines do you read? What is your favorite trend during different seasons, etc.

Interview Questions
  • They asked if you would be able to sell a Gap Card and seeing as I didn't really know what that entailed it was difficult to answer but all the questions were pretty basic.   Answer Question
They start you off around 8.00 but I was able to negotiate higher. Pretty chill and were willing to work with you.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Was called in for a group interview. When I got there, there for 4 other people. The interview was held in a pretty noisy area of the mall, so it was a little difficult to concentrate. the interview lasted about an hour and the hiring manager said he'd call us if they wanted a second interview. I got called later that same night to come in the next day for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • What's the difference between customer service and sales?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when someone rejected what you were trying to sell them.   Answer Question
    • How would you approach a customer & make a connection with them?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Gap?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable selling the Gap Card?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online at the website. About a week later, I got a call to interview the next evening at the store. The first interview was with the assistant manager and another associate. It was very informal, and they all seemed really friendly. Group interview. Questions included why this company, what do you think is the most important skill needed in this position, tell me about a time where you had to work as a team. I got called in for a second interview with another assistant manager. I was asked about availability, about times when I had to deal with a difficult customer, and other stuff. Was told I was going to be contacted a couple days later.

Interview Questions
    • Stand up and try to sell me the outfit you're wearing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Applied online a week later got a call to be apart of a group interview. It was 11 people interviewing, it was a tad bit awkward and intimidating. Ask standard question nothing to difficult.

Did not negotiate.

called schedule interveiw

simple

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roseville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap.

You apply online. I waited about a week before I received a call back from Gap. I was then scheduled for a group interview. Apparently they really needed people because we were all hired a few days afterwards. I received a call and the manager offered me a job. I would say that the group interview was not too difficult. She asked us to talk about ourselves, talk about an experience with customer service, and why we wanted to work at Gap. Overall, it was an easy interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I would say all the questions were pretty basic and to be expected.   Answer Question
    Offered me a wage that worked in my range and offered me hours as well. Very quick and easy.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

After completing the online application, which included an assessment, I was contacted by the general manager to schedule an interview. At the interview, she was very prepared and had read my resume, which we discussed. At the end of the interview, she explained that she had roughly twice the number of candidates to interview as she had open positions. I was contacted about a week later and offered the job. Training consisted of filling out the usual paperwork, watching training videos from corporate, assembling outfits in Baby Gap, and trying on jeans to understand cut and fit.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between customer service and selling?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview process took about two weeks, filled out application online, was later scheduled for a group interview. The group interview was fairly easy nothing too difficult, normal questions…why gap? previous experience? I received a call back later that week for a final interview with the store manager. At that point I was already hired based on the group interview, I was asked of my availability and received an overview of the company and hourly wage, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult, just be confident, especially in a group interview say something to stand out from the rest of the crowd.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Applying, I believe, is mostly online where you fill out an exceptionally long and thorough questionnaire. Although it is long, I give them props since it gives you a clear idea on what situations you will be encountering. Interview was held in person. Manager asked simple questions on previous work experience, examples of different obstacles/challenges in the store, and how you feel interacting with customers. This is key to selling and overall satisfaction with your job. Trust me.

Interview Questions
    • Why choose GAP over other competitive retailers in the area?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and didn't hear anything for 2 weeks or something. Then I got a call to come in for an interview for the next day, i was heading out of town so I was able to push it back 2 days.

I went in for the interview and was brought into the office and went through the interview. I was asked why the gap? my style, how I keep up with fashion, good customer service vs. bad, similar to what others have posted. I haven't worked in retail for a few years so I thought I did well. My question was how long would the rest of the process take if they were to hire someone today, I was the last interview, and they said "the week after next".

After the interview they said they would call me in a few days either way since they have to complete the rest of the process. It's been almost 3 weeks now since the interview.........

Interview Questions
    • Difference between good and great customer service. (wasn't that difficult but it through me off for a second trying to figure out how to word it)   Answer Question