The Gap

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.2

287 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I applies for Gap Kids online, and got a call back about 2 1/2 weeks later. My first interview was with the Assistant Manager, myself, and another applicant. She asked us to interview each other for 3 minuets, so definitely look at some interview questions before going in. This interview lasted about 30 minuets. At the end of the interview, the Assistant Manager asked us to come in the next day to have a second interview (mine was one on one with the Manager). The second interview was a lot easier and less nerve-wrecking because it was mostly an overview of the first interview, going over my resume, discussing the job duties, and a few simple questions about availability.

Interview Questions
  • Explain a time where you worked with an authority figure (boss, teacher, etc.) who you didn't get along with, and one who you did get along with.   Answer Question
I didn't negotiate because the starting pay rate was a lot higher than I expected ($9.75/hr.)
Note: This job is at Stanford Shopping center so I'm not sure if the pay rate is the same in other locations.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Went in the store for introduction then applied online. I had an one on one interview with the manager and the interview questions were pretty standard. Mostly about previous work experience and how I would handle difficult situations. However, I didn't find the manager to be very professional. Main reason why I declined the offer. Totally agree with some other comments, the management could be a hit or miss.

I didn't want to work for that particular manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

To apply for a job as sales associate for Gap, I first did a lengthy online application that asks usual questions, such as past experience, and then asks you scenario questions and gives you options on how you would handle the situation. It took the store about 3-5 days to call me and set up an interview. The first interview took place at a table in the store, with about 13 other applicants. The group was split in half and the hiring manager went around each person in the group and asked questions about why we like the brand, how we would describe our style, and what we looked forward most to if hired. Then, she described a customer for the group and gave the group 10 minutes to run around the store so each applicant could pick an outfit that best fit the needs of the customer. Then, the group would come back to the table and describe their outfit and why they chose what they did. For the second interview, a smaller group of about 6 people met at the same table and got asked questions by another manager. These included where we had last shopped, reviewing what had been asked in the last interview, and then opened it up for questions. The second interview lasted 10 minutes at most. I was offered a position and salary two days after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult task was choosing an outfit, but mostly because you were under pressure to choose something unique yet served the same or similar purpose as your fellow applicant's outfits.   View Answer
    As a sales associate with little experience, I didn't negotiate at all and it was clear that I was not expected to negotiate my starting wage.

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Easy questions. Just about making decisions. Just keep in mind it's all about making the customer happy and doing the right thing. Sometimes it's a group interview, which is a lot easier. Smile, speak clearly, and relax. Don't kiss a**. They're looking for a hard working and smart employee.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with an angry customer?   View Answer
    Accept the offer if you have nothing to do.

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online, and I heard back in about a week that they wanted an interview. We set up an appointment and I met with a manager, and they asked me several questions about why I wanted to work there and such and about my availability. I got a call within that week that they wanted to hire me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and received a call a few weeks later. That week, I went in for an interview and was hired that day. I spoke with two managers, who asked several questions regarding my previous work experience and my strengths/weaknesses. The questions were pretty normal, and at the end, I was given a job offer.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate - I took the wage they offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

First you complete the online application and then depending on that you receive a call back. Mine was in a couple of days, quick phone interview, one-on-one in store interview, which involved you selling an item to the interview manager. Pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • None. Glassdoor helped a lot, they really just want to see who you are personality wise, don't be so uptight.   Answer Question
    9.50/hr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

I was in a group interview with six other people and the hiring manager. She asked a lot of typical interview questions that were listed in the other posts. The interview consisted of the manager asking questions, and whoever wanted to contribute would contribute. Everyone had an equal chance to answer each question. There was only one question that everyone had to answer, which was why we chose The Gap.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview, the manager told us to go out into the sales floor and create an outfit for a specific scenario.   Answer Question
    It was my first job, and I am content with the salary, so I did not try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, AL

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

It took them about a month to get back to me. I applied online. The interview process was with the manager and one other worker. I interviewed with another person. The questions were pretty much easy common questions. I made sure I knew knowledge of a gap and how i would describe myself.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was: How would you describe your style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Applied online and called store. Lady asked for my availability and asked me to tell about myself and that she will give me a call in about a week or so