The Gap

Average Difficulty
259 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call a few weeks later. That week, I went in for an interview and was hired that day. I spoke with two managers, who asked several questions regarding my previous work experience and my strengths/weaknesses. The questions were pretty normal, and at the end, I was given a job offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate - I took the wage they offered.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was called in for a group interview. When I got there, there for 4 other people. The interview was held in a pretty noisy area of the mall, so it was a little difficult to concentrate. the interview lasted about an hour and the hiring manager said he'd call us if they wanted a second interview. I got called later that same night to come in the next day for a second interview.

Interview Questions

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Applied online and called store. Lady asked for my availability and asked me to tell about myself and that she will give me a call in about a week or so

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

Interview Details – I applied online at the website. About a week later, I got a call to interview the next evening at the store. The first interview was with the assistant manager and another associate. It was very informal, and they all seemed really friendly. Group interview. Questions included why this company, what do you think is the most important skill needed in this position, tell me about a time where you had to work as a team. I got called in for a second interview with another assistant manager. I was asked about availability, about times when I had to deal with a difficult customer, and other stuff. Was told I was going to be contacted a couple days later.

Interview Question – Stand up and try to sell me the outfit you're wearing.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Boca Raton, FL

I interviewed at The Gap in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy interview process. Common sense questions that are not difficult to figure out the appropriate answer. It was done on a bench in the middle of the loud mall. Not very professional or intimidating. Anyone with work experience can get through the interview process with no problem.

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Brea, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was a group interview and the manager was laid back, which made the other laid back and unfortunately most of them became unprofessional. I recommend you still stay professional, don't ever interrupt the manager and answer the questions honestly.

Interview Question – I think it was "Tell me why I should hire you"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation phase, I took the offer as it was

Washington, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2012.

Interview Details – This was the first job I ever had and was the time when online applications was starting to boom. I went to the store and spoke to a manager who referred me to the site with a code also. I made an account and filed out the application. After a few days no one called so I called them and scheduled an interview. The woman who interviewed me was really nice and we went to a coffee shop across from the store to have the interview. It was kind of awkward but included your typical "Tell me about yourself and your hobbies," questions. So after that awfulness she told me I was a sure hire but she still had to background check me. (No drug test required at the time.) Of course no one called for two days so I called them and the woman who interviewed me went of town. But when she came back we talked and badda boom badda bang I had a job.

Interview Question – Every interview includes "Tell me about yourself." Which for me is essentially the most difficult question because I don't like to talk about myself (at least not out loud). But all they really want is to know that you are well established and can communicate. The best thing to do for this question is to think of what you're going to say beforehand. Think of something prominent in your life (i.e. your mom, siblings, drama class, football team, cheerleading) and make up a little script about it and how that's important then throw in other little details about things you do or things that make you (i.e. you're a master braider, best Barbie dress maker, spelling bee champ) and wah - lah you started a long conversation and probably passed the interview at this point.   Answer Question

Dawson, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details – Very upbeat, enthusiastic, really friendly and want to get to know you.
The initial interview is a little awkward because its a group interview so it feels much like a cattle call,
the second interview was still group but only 2-3 people and after that i received a phone call with a job offer. I do know that the way they tell you they aren't interested is kind of off putting because its just a postcard in the mail.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation of lying or stealing involving a fellow co-worker or management team memeber?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't much of one; because i was a broke college student happy to jsut have a stable paycheck; as low as it was.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – They called me around a week after I submitted my application asking for a phone interview. It was basic questions but also questions about what style magazines do you read? What is your favorite trend during different seasons, etc.

Interview Question – They asked if you would be able to sell a Gap Card and seeing as I didn't really know what that entailed it was difficult to answer but all the questions were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start you off around 8.00 but I was able to negotiate higher. Pretty chill and were willing to work with you.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview followed by 1 on 1. Interviewed by manager for the department applied for. Basic questions about retail experience, customer service skills and why you want to work for the company

Interview Question – Why did you choose the gap   View Answer